For those who organize with binders

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

I am loving my new binder system. I am going through now to highlight with a yellow highlighter so I know which copy is my main copy.

But here is my question. Everyone has those teachers at your school who wants to borrow things. What if they want a copy of something in your binder?

I know one of my teammates sometimes will come in my room and say "remember that short vowel sheet you had. Can I take it and make a copy."
    I would much rather make the copy for them so i can get it back but that is not always possible. But sometimes I never get the original back. Many times my teamates takes so much stuff I forget as well.
    They are no the most organized.

When I kept things in file folders I had multiple copies of things so it didn't matter. But now I care.

Ideas.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

I had the same problem. Not with pages in binders, but books and resources. In my teacher binder I now have a section titled, On Loan. Whenever someone borrows anything at all, I write the date along with their name and what was borrowed. I highlight it when it is returned.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

Yes, that would work when it comes to materials and books but what about a single sheet of paper. If they lost my stapler I could get another one. If they lose my worksheet I would not know where to go online to find it.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2011

I usually say that I don't want to get my papers out of order and I grab my binder and walk down to the copy room with them to make a copy and put it right back.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

And this is what I would do. But sometimes they come while I am in the middle of teaching or at a time when I am talking to someone and there is no way I can make the copies.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2011

Then tell them you'll get them a copy after school.

I've had people get snippy with me before about things like that, but after losing originals that I cut and paste for fours hours (the real cutting with scissors and pasting with glue back before we had computers available to use), I just don't hand out originals. I'll loan out anything, but it has to be on my terms. I'm the one who bought, found, printed, or created it so if someone doesn't want to wait until I can get a copy to them, then they don't really need to borrow from me.

At my current school, I've never had a problem but I work with experienced teachers. Not to say all new teachers are not understanding, but the three who had an attitude were first year teachers. But that's only three out of all the first years I've worked with.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 25, 2011

I just go and make the copy myself since I became much too frustrated with not getting things back. It just takes a few minutes to make a quick copy and then put it in the other teacher's mailbox.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

Again these teachers are unorganized and sometimes as me for things in the middle of the day. Veteran teachers who did not plan the day before and need something to do for math in the afternoon. :dizzy:

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2011

:dizzy: is right. That is so unprofessional.

I guess you can start "leaving" things at home.

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 25, 2011

I would just make a copy for them. Take the paper & put a post it on it so you know who it goes to. :D If they need it immediately perhaps you can send a student down to the office. They can get the office to make the copy and then give it back to you. You can even pose it as you're being nice.

"Hey VA can I have a copy of that WS."
    "Sure, I'll make you a copy when I head to the office."
    "Oh, I really want to have my class do it this afternoon."
    "Oh, well let me send student X (the classroom assistant)to the office to make it.)

If they get upset...that is too bad. :p

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

Yes but then I need those things at school. And I hate to be mean. I've already started letting them use things and it was not really a big deal because again I had extra copies. But now my binders are so cute and neat and organized.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

Are you going to use the plastic page protectors? If so why don't you just make a few extra copies of everything so that if anyone wants to borrow something you just give them a copy.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2011

I work with a small number of classroom teachers (there are 8 of us in the school). Our mailboxes are right beside the photocopy machine so I ask them to put my original in there.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2011

It is not mean when you say No when someone asks you something that will inconvience you. Their emergency is not your issue or problem.

The first time someone asks for copies in the middle of the day, I would simply state, "you know, I am in the middle of my day and very busy. I will gladly share copies of any of my materials at the beginning of the day or at the end of school. I am so sorry but I just can't get to those materials right now in the middle of my instructional time with my class." This isn't mean and please don't think it is. I think it is inconsiderate and unprofessional for your co-workers to expect you to stop what you are doing to help them out of a bind they created themselves.

Glad you are liking the binders ~ I LOVE my binders. BTW, my co-workers know that I will share anything, and everything with them but my binders never leave my room in anyones hands but mind ;)

16. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 25, 2011

Copy it for them when you have time. They can get snippy all they want but I've been burned too many times loaning stuff that never comes back to me! And shame on them for interrupting your class and/or conversations with others!

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

I have everything in page protectors. I have TONSSS of stuff. The problem with making copies is I just threw away all of my extra copies. *courtesy of the advice here. ;)

So it would take me forever to go and make copies.

But you guys are right. I know its should be labeled as mean to say "no" but they never hear me say no. And they never say no to me when I need something. Its a hard line to draw.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2011

Why don't you pull out your yellow highlighter and write your name on the original copy before you give it to them? I think I'm going to do this too:D

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

I have highlighted the copies but never thought about putting my name.
    That's not the problem. The problem is they are so unorganized and it will get lost. So even my name will not do anything. I am willing to try it. Would take a second to write my name on everything over time.

Last year one of my teammates would make just enough copies for her class and use my copy as one of the copies to give to her kids. So if she had 24 kids she would make 23. :mad:
    That would make me mad and I would never get it back. Luckily I had a few extra copies but still its the point.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2011

In addition to the above suggestions, I would make sure to mention "Please return my original as soon as you've finished making copies."

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2011

I always say, "Let me make myself a note, and I'll get you a copy after school."

22. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I always try to make a PDF or a computer copy of everything I use, mostly because we can send from our computer an order to our district print shop, but if you use something could you scan it and start saving files on your computer? Then you could easily just e-mail it to them so they can do what they want with it. I know what you mean, I know if I take something out that is organized it never gets put back correctly.

23. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I created most of the pages in my binder so if someone asks to borrow something, I usually just print them a copy out or email it to them instead of removing it. If it's not something on my computer, I just tell them that I'll run them a copy off and place it in their mailbox later that day.

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

I do not have a scanner. If I did that would take me a couple of weeks but I would do it.

25. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 25, 2011

It sounds like sending them a copy or having a PDF wouldn't fix your issue. From what you describe they'll need something right then & won't want to take the time to go & print it. They'll say, "Oh can't I just use that copy." I wouldn't go out of your way & spend hours doing something that won't necessarily make your life any easier. :2cents: :hugs:

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

CMW your right.

27. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

Don't own their problem. Your conversation should sound like this....
    Other teacher:Can I borrow blah, blahblah?
    You: I am not exactly sure where it is. I will make myself a note and find it asap.
    Other teacher: But, I need it now.
    You: oh, I am so sorry. Did you check with Mrs. So and So?
    End of the subject!!!!!!!
    Stand your ground. You teach other people how to treat you.

28. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

Your right. :eek:

29. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I will scan it and email it to them. If they're afraid that I will a forget, they can leave me a note or send a reminder email. I do not keep paper originals (only Word or PDF files), so they will just have to wait.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

Whenever I make copies, I always make an extra copy for my coworker if I think it's something he'll want. I throw it in his mailbox. If he likes it, he keeps it; if he doesn't think he'll use it, he usually gives it back to me. He does the same for me :)

31. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

I can't stand when someone comes in to borrow something while I am teaching. It is just soo annoying!

I would also so no, I can't get it for you right now.

32. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

I had my binders organized by theme. I had a plastic divider with pockets in front of each theme.I kept the original in order of when I would use it, but I would keep one or two extra copies of things in that pocket. That way it didn't matter as much if I didn't get it back.

33. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

Well from now on as I go along in the year I am going to make an extra copy as I go.