For those who need to pack up their classrooms every year...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, May 15, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

How do you do it? What's your procedure?

We have to pack our rooms at the end of every school year because our rooms are cleaned and used for summer school. We can leave things locked up in the filing cabinets and wardrobes. We can leave things on bookshelves as long as the shelves are covered with butcher paper. Beyond that, everything else has to be removed or taken down, including everything on the walls.

I usually use this time of year to get my things organized. Just wondering how other people do it.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

No one will be using my room during the summer so I don't have to take it all down, but at the end of the year I do a thorough purge and cleaning. I pull everything out of my closet and rearrange the shelves to try to be more efficient with the small amount of storage I have. During finals, I also start bringing home any reference books that I might want to work with over the summer. I'm going to cover my desk and bookcases with lightweight plastic dropcloths, because everything gets so dusty, and I'll take all the batteries out of the remotes to make sure they won't be damaged if there's any leakage.

4. historynut

historynut Rookie

May 15, 2011

Like you I use the time to get organized and get rid of the stuff I don't need.

We can store in our closets, filing cabinets, and black cabinets. This will be the second year in a row that we are required to remove everything off of our bookshelves so they can move and clean under them. We are all angry at this because they didn't move them last year and it is just more packing for us.

This year I plan on getting rid of all of the cardboard boxes and replacing them with plastic bins in the hopes of cutting down on the mutant cockroaches that inhabit my portable.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 15, 2011

At my previous school in another district, our principal made us take out EVERYTHING that did not belong to the school. That was loads of fun.

My current school sounds like yours. Usually around this time of year, I start staying after school a little while here and there to go through things and start cleaning and packing. I start with things in the closets and on the shelves that the kids won't notice.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 15, 2011

I get around this by taking things off of the bookshelves, wiping them myself, and putting the things back on. Luckily, the custodial staff is fine with this.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

Everything either goes home or into the cabinet at the back of the room. There's always the slight possibility that you'll be in a different homeroom next year, though most people stay fairly settled.

But everything comes down off the walls and bulletin boards, and the teacher's desk is emptied, as are any other cabinets and shelves.

Personally, I think it's a good thing. Otherwise I can only imagine the amount of stuff I would have accumulated.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 15, 2011

I've been cleaning out a shelf or drawer a day, and now I'm almost done. I throw away or recycle things I won't use again. I'm working on organizing things I plan to keep. I will take home a few things that belong to me and that I don't want kept in my room over the summer. I don't have a locking cabinet, and we have people in and out all summer.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

Our rooms aren't used during the summer, but the caretakers take everything out of our rooms to strip and wax the floors. Everything needs to be in the cupboards or on the shelves. We empty desk drawers (the desks are tipped up on end to get them out of the room) and each of the drawers in our 4-drawer file cabinets needs to be no more than half full. We label all furniture that will be taken out of the room, so that it's easier for the guys to put it back in the right room.

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 15, 2011

At the school I am at we need to pack up the stuff onto non-mobile storage areas or carefully packed onto wheeled storage areas (which we must clearly mark as ours). All expensive removable equipment is packed into a door with a dead bolt that only a couple people have the key to. Any mobile shelf must be cleared so the floor under it can be cleaned and waxed. If we had to empty the room of all things which belong to us, some of the staff do not have enough storage at home to keep the stuff.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 15, 2011

I'm normally very organized, but last year I got a wild hair and moved my room all around. Never again! I had a hard time finding anything this year. A soon as kids are gone, I'm spending a few blissful days putting everything back where it was.

I love it when someone walks into my room and asks for something and I can walk right to it. This year about drive me nuts!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

Everything in the room is moved into the hall so the floors can be waxed. So it has to be pretty secure.

I label every single piece of furniture in my room except for student desks. Everything else gets put into a cabinet or in the closet.

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 15, 2011

We keep the same rooms, and nothing has to be removed. This is nice on some level, but as some of you hinted at... leaves to collect things that I probably don't need. I typically put most things into file cabinets or my desk (and lock those), but nothing actually physically leaves the room unless I want it to.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

My school gives us very few guidelines for packing up, but like others, all my stuff will be moved into the hallway so the floor can be waxed...I m in a new classroom so I can put a lot into the built in closets this year. I bag my leveled book bins just in case they get knocked off shelve...I don't want to re- level!

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

You're welcome to come see what 10 years in 1 room of a packrat looks like. I have got to get control, I have got to get control, I have got to get control........hey - that stuff comes in handy.......you never know when I might need it......it's called recycling and repurposing.....noooooooooo!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 16, 2011

Everything in the cabinets here, too. The biggest hassle is the books--I have a large classroom library, and it's hard to pack them up efficiently and keep them somewhat organized. Plus, I worked really hard on organizing my cabinets this year to be useful, accessible storage for supplies, manipulatives, etc. during the year, so I'm going to have to figure out how to put stuff into them without messing it up too much. We can leave stuff up on the walls unless our room is being painted, which happens every couple years. I think my room might be up this year, which it probably is because I really like how everything is set up this year!

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 16, 2011

This is something I don't even want to think about right now!

18. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 16, 2011

I clear out my Desk Drawers, pack up the class Library, baskets, and other things.

I also pack things in my closet and cabinets. I agree that the hardest part is the Class Library, and I scrub down everything stuff like that.

I label both of my Teacher Chairs, my desk, my File Cabinet, my computer, I dont label the desks in my room. The Custodial Staff stacks all of the desks against the wall and the student's chairs.

19. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

May 16, 2011

For the third year in a row, I have to pack up all personal material or it becomes the schools. As well as, all curriculum as I will be moving rooms and more than likely grade levels.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 16, 2011

We too have to pack our rooms every year and I dislike it very much. I begin with my books, and go from there. Actually, other than that, I don't know that I have any real rhyme or reason to what I do, except that I keep like things in each box (items from my desk, decor items, etc.).

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 16, 2011

I pull out my rolling carts from my closet to store items on. This gives me more floor space in the closet to store things over the summer (*crossing my fingers they'll let us do that again). I sort my cabinets and tape them shut when I am done. This allows me to label what is in the cabinet, and remind me that I've already gone through it. Nothing can be left on/in desks or bookshelves (that was a disastrous year), except for those that will roll. I always make a beginning of the year box of things that I know I will need right away, and a summer project box to take home. My beginning of the year box goes on top of my cabinets so it's nice and safe. The year we moved buildings I took it home to know where it was when I needed it.

I try to get rid of as much stuff as I possibly can. Then at the beginning of the new school year I do the same again. This year I plan to purge books that have seen much better days. With over 4,000 in my classroom library I think I can do that. . . maybe. . . possibly.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 17, 2011

I don't have to take everything off the walls or locker tops (thank goodness!), but I do have to get everything off the floor so they can be waxed. Today is our last full day, so the kids will help move their desks into the hall. They've already cleared them out, stacked my library books in crates, etc. We'll move that stuff out either this afternoon or in the morning. The only thing left in the room will be my big table, computer tables, and filing cabinets. The custodians move them. (Too heavy for us.) We have wings in our building and the main hallway has "alcoves" for lack of a better term - deep corners that don't block the main walkway. We stack our table desks, chairs, etc there. (They slide the crates of books under the desks.) The bookshelves and rolling carts will go in the hall outside my room.

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 17, 2011

We are supposed to put away as much as we can. Everything has to be taken off the wall, but anything secured to a bulletin board can stay up. Classroom libraries are fine on shelves, but we often cover them with plastic garbage bags to avoid dust.

I am moving to my 3rd classroom in 3 years and switching grade levels again. I will be packing up my entire room, moving most of it home as it will not be helpful in my new grade and hoping that I am finally settled so next June isn't so crazy!

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 17, 2011

I do take everything down off my walls for 2 reasons. First, I want my stuff to be safe from any accidents. Second, I like to start fresh at the beginning of the year.