For those who have returned...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Aug 29, 2020.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Aug 29, 2020

To in-person learning, how has it been going? I'm mainly referring to students wearing masks. My district just finished up our first week of school remotely, but we are returning for hybrid (half the students come every other day) on Monday. I'm mainly excited but nervous about my first graders having to wear masks all day. I'm not sure how understanding/tolerable I should be in this respect because being 6 years old, some of them are clearly going to struggle. My district is requiring all students K-12 to wear masks at all times, even at recess while they're on the playground.

Is this doable? How are the kids handling the masks and other mitigation efforts in general in schools that have returned to in-person?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 29, 2020

Well, we have not had students return yet, but some teachers are working from the building. Many of them are not wearing masks correctly at all times, nor are they social distancing when possible. If the adults can't do it, I don't have a lot of faith in the kids.

Aces and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 29, 2020

upload_2020-8-29_13-27-27.png

Need I say more?

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 29, 2020

This one needs another rule: Don't go commando!
    upload_2020-8-29_13-33-35.png

mrsf70 and S P like this.
  6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2020

I am nervous about this too. We are finally starting with students on Tuesday. They pushed our student start date back earlier in the summer, so we had about 3.5 weeks of mostly PD. Yuck. Kids came in for 1:1 assessment conferences this past week, but that was only for 30 minutes and 1:1 so of course there weren't really issues.

Adults in the building have been very respectful with always wearing their masks, BUT we haven't had to wear them close to all day at all. They keep having some of the PD in small groups (masks required, of course) and then some in your room where you can take your mask off. During work time, my teammates have wanted to spend at least some of the time in our own rooms so we can take masks off. While I appreciate the mask breaks as much as anybody, that's not what it's going to look like when students arrive. And the kids, unless they've been in daycare, will not have had this "building up" time with the masks that we have had.

I was also kind of hoping that after awhile I'd get used to the mask and it wouldn't bother me as much. Nope. I've done some work on finding the most comfortable thing, so it's not as bad in some ways, but I still hate wearing it. I'm having a hard time picturing little kids wearing these for at least 6.5 hours per day. Some of them will have barely worn a mask at all prior to showing up on Tuesday.

My admin both at the school and district level are adamant that there are no excuses with masks. If kids can't/won't wear it, they need to go to e-learning. I am very interested to see how that actually plays out. I do have a friend that taught summer school in another state. She said that the kids did wear them but she had to give 5,000 reminders every day about masks being properly on faces (pull it over your nose, hands off the mask, etc.)

As far as distancing, the furniture is spread out but I think that's just going to be hard to remember and enforce. It's just natural to get closer to someone when you talk to them. Several times I've caught myself having a conversation right next to someone and then I have to remind myself to back up. That said, when we're all in the same building for 7 hours I'm not convinced staying 3 feet apart (yes, my state has said 3 feet is fine for schools) is really doing anything. I think the masks will make the biggest difference as far as mitigation.

Tired Teacher, a2z and bella84 like this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 31, 2020

The parents and P do not believe kids should wear masks. The teachers are freaking out, rightfully so. It is like there is no respect for teachers.
    Oh, there are a few anti mask teachers too.

MrTempest likes this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 31, 2020

3 ft? So wrong! Yes, it being in the air, masks are important. I wish you the best!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 14, 2020

In my school only the students do not have to wear a mask if they refuse (many have sensory and behavior issues) but all staff members wear them. I think some of our parents opted for e-learning because they knew most students weren't wearing them. They might have high risk people in the house.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 15, 2020

Our students are doing well overall wearing masks. I have to remind a few of them to cover their noses sometimes. Honestly, the adults on campus seem to have a harder time remembering to wear theirs properly than the kids do.

a2z likes this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 15, 2020

How is everyone's school building in terms of temperature/thermostat? I can't adjust my thermostat and some days it's SO hot that I had to bring a fan in. It's difficult to wear a mask ALL day when you are sweating because of neglectful temperature management. If they have a problem with me bringing a fan in then they will have to deal with me not being in the building that is too hot.

Aces and MrTempest like this.
  12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 15, 2020

DH and I are both teaching from the buildings with kids remote. My district had teachers quarantined before the end of the first week after going to lunch in the same vehicle without masks. DH's school had three people test positive last week. I can't imagine what it will look like once kids are throw into the mix.

As far as temperature, under normal circumstances, it's fine. They prefer to keep the thermostat on 73, but that's not comfortable when you have up to 35 kids in a room and no air circulating. I usually keep mine on 68. I'm really good at picking the lock for the thermostat cover. ;)

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2020

We've been back for 4 days--half of the students each time, so they have all been at school twice. Full classes start tomorrow. For the most part, my students have been fantastic about masks! I just have one who consistently wears it under his nose, no matter how many times I remind him. I've asked parents to help reinforce the importance of wearing the mask properly. if it continues, he may be sent home if he won't comply. The kids are able to take their masks off while eating snack and lunch and, while it is wonderful to see their faces, I am finding myself to be very uncomfortable to be around groups of people who aren't wearing masks.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2020

Our building is always freezing when the AC is on. I forgot at the beginning that I need to keep a sweater or jacket at work.

At my school, teachers are in their 7th week and students are in their 3rd week. So far it's been fine. The kids are wearing the masks without complaint for the most part. My room is across the hall from our self-contained Autism program and even the students in that program are wearing the masks every time I look over. I thought it would be a huge challenge in there! The only case in my district has been one middle school student.

The thing that has been challenging to deal with is all of the absences. Kids have to stay home or are sent home for very minor/common symptoms. I worry about what that looks like in the winter when I swear 90% of our kids are sneezing and coughing all over the place all winter long normally.