For those that use the Daily 5 in reading....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jpablot, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

How long is your whole group core instruction? Also how long is your reading block in general?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2013

I teach half day Kindergarten. My reading block is about an hour with 40 minutes of that dedicated to daily 5 time, mini lessons, and small group instruction and 20 minutes for a whole group lesson outside of the mini lessons.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 28, 2013

I teach 2nd, but I noticed you teach 5th. For 5th grade the Sisters recommend two 45-minute rounds of Daily 5. They should do 45 minutes of Read to Self, and 45 minutes of Work on Writing. For the first 10 minutes of Work on Writing, they should be doing some sort of word work/spelling/word study. They state that 5th-graders should only need practice with Read to Someone and Listen to Reading if they are below grade level and could benefit from these tasks (ELL students are an example).

Before each round they recommend a 10-15 minute mini-lesson. So, ideally, your Daily 5 time would be 2 hours.

I have seen them speak 4 times in person, and they always discuss the many changes they have made since the book was published.