For those that have paras...

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Oct 4, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Oct 4, 2006

What do they do in your classroom? I would like to get a general idea of the typical duties of a parapro.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2006

That varies big time. It varies with why age/type of students, the school district's contract, the school's political environment, and the personalities of the teacher/aide.

If the aide isn't new, ask her (or him) what she likes to do and go from there.

THis is what I do:

bulletin boards
    help grade papers
    keep up with the word wall and job duties reminder spreadsheets
    brainstorm with the teacher on upcoming crafts, ideas, etc.
    make copies (so does the teacher..whoever is available)
    sub (when she is absent, at a meeting or someone needs her attention)
    help with behavior issues/implement classroom reward system
    cut the classroom money (for reward system) and other class and craft preps
    Help/write the classroom newsletter (I'm better at it and like it)
    supervise recess
    keep the teacher plugged into what's going on (be a secretary)
    work with the students one-on-one
    take over a center when appropriate
    help plan field trips and write appropriate letters for parents

Special for me..I plan the spelling center/games lesson plans. I also will look up and suggest lessons/activities (but leave them up to the teacher to decide what to implement). Sometimes this translates into the homework assignment. Most of the time it's her domain though and not a whole lot of people do this. It's outside of my job duties. I consider it a priviledge because I want to learn.

4. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Oct 4, 2006

Wow! The teacher you work with is very lucky to have you for a para. I hope she or he appreciates all that you do!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2006

Haha! I think everyday I never possibly have enough time for so much of that. I stay behind. But don't you teachers as well? I guess my view of a good para/teacher is teamwork and loyalty (when deserved). You gotta have each other's back, be honest with each other, and be courteous. I also consider myself fortunate because I have a teacher who doesn't really "tell" me what to do all the time as much as she lets me participate in the process. I prefer that (not all aides do though). I love my class!

P.S. Do a search for a similar thread because I've seen one that has more responses. Though if you hold on, this one will too.

6. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

This is my first year teaching and my parapro has been at my school for years. Needless to say she is a HUGE help for me. She:

-helps me keep my room clean, its so hard to move from one activity to another and still clean! I have the kids clean up after themselves, but I need help too!

- checks the kids' agendas (where parents write notes) every morning and responds to most for me (questions about lunch money, etc.) if it is important or regarding me she'll show me

- works with the kids

- makes copies

- makes patterns/ cuts out patterns

- helps me organize my week

- comes in every morning and sets up the kids' chairs

- makes me smile!

She does A WHOLE LOT MORE, especailly this week because I have been home for the past three days with a high fever. I wasn't comfortable leaving my kids with a sub yet (because this is my first year teaching) and I miss them so much, but I feel great knowing that my aide is there.

7. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Oct 7, 2006

Hi,

My para rocks. She'll do anything I ask, but we are a team. I actually call her a "Teacher" to the kids because she is so important to me.

She:

- pulls small groups for skill work
    - copies
    - watches lunch / recess
    - deals with any bathroom issues (we have several ESE students in our room)
    - homework folders
    - checks homework
    - bus duty
    - morning duty at breakfast

Oh, I'm sure there's more. We have a great relationship and I trust her to the ends... When I'm absent they do not call in a sub, she takes the room and is good at it.

Kelly :)