For those taking the RICA!

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Ilia Willison, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Ilia Willison

Ilia Willison New Member

Mar 6, 2019

Hello! If you are about to take the RICA, don't freaka (Sorry for the cheesy response). I read several forums on here about people retaking it up to 8 times already, as if that didn't stress me out enough. I took the RICA around 4 weeks ago and used the Ready for the RICA book to study content, Cliff Notes book for the practice tests, the free practice tests from teacher's test prep, and Youtube Videos (these helped a lot).

THEN I PASSED THE 1ST TIME!

Give yourself a month of hard studying, or more of you have never learned about this stuff! The week of, do a bunch of practice tests all the way through or Multiple Choice one day and Short Responses another day and Case Study another day. Look at examplar responses given in the answer keys of your practice tests for guidance. Take notes on concepts you need to work on based on what the questions are asking. Pace it out!

It is ok if you do not pass the first time, but if you do the work and take notes, interacting with a study book, you will do well. Focus on the main issues at hand such as comprehension, fluency, etc. and ways to help students with strategies. An example is comprehension issues being aided with the use of graphic organizers to track information in sequence. Another example is fluency, specifically the rate a student reads at, can be aided by "books on tape" or "recorded readings" to read along to and have a model for the speed they should read at.

Good luck!

Jammy and futuremathsprof like this.
  3. Ryanthelion

Ryanthelion Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

The RICA is a giant scam, as are most of these tests. Read Todd Farleys book about his experience as a grader for Pearson. He was a grader for fifteen years.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 27, 2019

As I and others much more knowledgeable on the subject have stated in other threads, the RICA is *not* a scam. Repeating yourself ad nauseum isn’t going to make your statement any more true or any less false. Please refer to the following link for the facts on the RICA and, as you say, “most of these tests”:

https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default...ssing-rate-fy-2012-13-to-2016-17.pdf?sfvrsn=0

On page 29 (and continued on page 30) the CTC states (from years 2012-2017 basically):

“The first-time passing rate for the RICA is relatively consistent, from 64.7% in 2015-2016 to 70.4% in 2012-2013. The cumulative pass rates remained above 90% through 2015-2016. The 2016-2017 cohort who took the RICA had a cumulative passing rate of 80.3%.”

As you can see, based on the metadata, the majority of test-takers pass the RICA on their first try (64.7% to 70.4%) and those who take it in subsequent tries in the same academic year (cohort) pass (~90+% pass, on average).

It would be a good idea to focus more on passing the RICA then railing against as it is a legitimate test and it is not going away.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 27, 2019

Great job! You obviously put in a ton of work and your score reflects that. And thank you for posting advice to help the minority of those who don’t pass on the first try. Well done!

6. ShannonCA

ShannonCA New Member

Jan 19, 2020

Thank you for posting this. I had no trouble at all passing the CBEST or CSETS and while the edTPA made me cry once or twice, I passed that with flying colors as well. All I keep reading are the horror stories but thanks to your comment and the consideration that my methods worked in the last few tests, I'm going to shake it off and keep grinding! THANK YOU!

futuremathsprof likes this.