For those taking the ¨How to Learn Math¨ course

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TamiJ, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2013

I did six peer assessments yesterday. They showed up on my dashboard as something I was supposed to do; three for two different prompts. There is a little, very simple practice set first, then you get the actual peer responses to assess. Note that in the prep questions, you only have to rate it 0 or 1, as they don't check your comments. I spent awhile wordsmithing my comments only to see, "Yes! You rated this a 1 and the actual rating is 1!"

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

At the end of session three, and I think also at some point in session 2.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

This is what hasn´t been working for me. Let me check it now. Maybe it´s been fixed. I know others were having difficulty with that feature.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

It is working now!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

Ok. so I just completed the peer assessments!

6. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 17, 2013

I just finished session 2 and my peer assessments.

The professor, Jo Boaler, is connected with my school district and has been in my classroom several times, so I have heard all of this data before. Next year she will be running several of our PD's (we are very fortunate to have her!). Because of this, I haven't heard anything new yet, but I am hoping the next two "classes" will get a little more in depth with HOW to teach to a growth mindset.

7. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 17, 2013

P.S. I started a related thread a couple months ago and included a link to a video that Jo Boaler put out, but most people here seemed to poo-poo it at the time....kind of interesting that everyone seems to be on board with her ideas now...

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=170492

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 17, 2013

This has been one of the core tenets of how the Chinese approach mathematics instruction.

You guys may be interested in looking into Cognitively Guided Instruction.

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 17, 2013

I will finish session 1 this afternoon. I got busy yesterday. :)

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

I will look at that now. I think I missed that thread when it was originally posted.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

I wonder if she would be willing to come down to Mexico to give some PD....:whistle:

12. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 17, 2013

Tami it was a slightly different topic -- but Jo's ideas about it are similar.

I do have to say that I think she is a *tad* extremist....I agree with maybe 90% of her ideas. For example, her talks seem to portray the idea that memorization has ZERO place in the math classroom. As in, none. While I agree that memorization tends to be overemphasized and I support the inquiry-based model of building conceptual understanding first, I also think that once the conceptual understanding HAS been built, it should be able to be compacted in the brain via memorization. To give a concrete example: I would want my students to understand WHY 7 x8 = 56 before just memorizing that fact, but I would expect that their experiences would eventually lead to memorization and ease of recall, so that when they get to Algebra II they aren't drawing 7 groups of 8 on the side of their paper.

*Sorry, tangent!!!!*

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2013

That is what I was thinking of, sort of at an instructional level, but not at frustration level.

I agree that she has some extreme ideas, but am loving the research and thinking it causes me to do :)

14. ebc

ebc Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Thank you! I totally forgot about this, but my principal encouraged us all to do it.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 18, 2013

I just had an experience which really put into perspective about how prevalent this math bias really is. I was asking about getting an advanced degree in physics on a popular question site, and almost every answer I received assumed that I didn't know the math I was getting into and that I would have a hugely hard time with all of the math. It was very discouraging that people would automatically think that way about a person they've never met, that they would be daunted simply because math was involved, and I realized how much of a negative connotation is associated with math.

Personally I have never been daunted by math, and rather enjoy it, but hearing all of those negative responses really made me feel horrible for some reason.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

Yes, I think the math should be challenging and make kids think, but I do think too much frustration could also discourage them. I suppose there has to be a fine balance (as with anything).

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

That´s interesting. Well, I think there definitely is a sense that some people either have math abilities, and others don´t. I have always looked at myself as someone who just isn´t very good at math, but this math course is helping me to change that view of my own abilities.

18. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 18, 2013

One of my brightest students this year had the hardest time with frustration. He just wasn't used to it. It always seemed to be my GT students who whined and fussed the most when I gave them a problem solving puzzle. They were used to everything being so easy for them and if they couldn't come up with the answer on the first attempt and relatively quickly, they would want to give up and decide they didn't like that particular activity. Sometimes we would even get to tears.

19. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 18, 2013

:agreed:

And though I am not completely familiar with Common Core, I do know my Texas State Standards mandate that students be able to recall their multiplication facts.

While I agree with many of her ideas so far in theory, by law I must teach my standards and prepare students for "the test." Hoping to figure out how to do both concurrently.

20. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

Please do not confuse having your students be prepared for a test with teaching to the test.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2013

GT students internalize all too readily that they're valued for getting answers easily and for not needing help. Asking for help requires these children to admit that they've fallen short of everyone's expectations. I know adults who still can't manage that sort of thing well; it's a species of loss of face, among other things, and expecting kids to be calm in the face of it is unrealistic. The only antidote I know - and it takes a lifetime - includes the provision of genuine challenges, the ready availability of appropriate help rather than shame, and the modeling of graceful failure and recovery by people to whom the GT kid looks up.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2013

After a couple of days of interruptions, I finally was able to get the first session finished. I think that I'm really going to enjoy this course. The trend in my school board is towards a more inquiry-based model in all subject areas, including math. As someone who was never exposed to any inquiry in mathematics--I memorized formulas and plugged in numbers, but never had a conceptual understanding of why the formulas worked--this excites me.

23. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 18, 2013

Oh, I completely understand. While I admit we do test prep work, we try very hard to limit it. We do not allow ourselves to even mention the test until after Christmas. I am lucky to work with a math team that has years of experience under their belt, but have not fallen into that old school mentality. As a team we are always looking for new or old ways to teach that will ultimately be better for our students. Which is the reason I signed up for this course. I always strive to grow and be a better teacher. Our biggest struggle now is time. Often times we feel like we touch on topics but must move on before the students master them just so we get all our standards in. Every year we evaluate what we can do differently.

24. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

This is how I remember High school math for me too. It was depressing to me when I took chemistry and physics in college.

25. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

Time is the same issue I feel is a struggle for me too. I am excited about common core in California because it "appears" that there will be quite a few less time intensive standards. Really excited about getting to spend more time going in depth with some standards as opposed to feeling like I am covering some of them.

26. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 18, 2013

This was my experience in math until I took a college Calculus course. Then we spent a lot of time understanding the concepts behind the equations and why we were learning it. It really put things into a new view for me, and Calculus ended up being my most enjoyable class.

I think this needs to be done a lot more in k-12 math. The teacher across the hall from me does a lot of this and the kids LOVE her class. It's quite something when most kids' favorite subjects are math instead of science (even though we blow stuff up, have labs every week, etc.)

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

This thread is back up and running. :)

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

I started session 4, but only watched about 15 minutes. I have a splitting headache so I am not going to attempt it until it goes away.

Where is everyone in the course?

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2013

Started today and got thru 1:5. :D

I was shocked by the info that kids have some math anxieties/ trauma by age 5... Looking forward to finding ways to help kids turn around their 'self talk'.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2013

I've done the first part of session 2. I may not get back to it until Monday.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

Ok. I am starting to feel better. I am going to pick up where I left.

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

I am doing 4:9 now.

So this is really interesting. They are talking about ability grouping and how this can be a cause for the fixed mind-set. Until the numbers were too low for me to do this, I had agreed to take on the low students for next year. I did come here to the forum to get advise before accepting the class, however. In any case, the professor asserts that ability grouping can be hurtful for the students (not a new argument, since we have seen this wildly debated already). I am just finding this interesting.

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

Ok, I just finished session 4. Now I have to wait until she opens up the rest of the sessions.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2013

Interesting, TamiJ. Ability grouping isn't something that's common here before high school. We have hugely diverse needs in our classrooms, which can be challenging sometimes, but I think that all students benefit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.