For those taking ¨How to Learn Math¨ Course (#2)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 22, 2013.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Ok, I think we reached the post count in the last thread. As I stated, I have finished session 4, so I am waiting for the professor to make the other sessions available.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I wonder if any of us have peer reviewed another AtoZ'ers work.

4. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

I started session 3 last night. Posting in this thread so I can follow along :)

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I was wondering the same thing! lol

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

I got an email last night:
    Last week was so exciting — people are producing the greatest ideas! I have been so impressed with the teaching ideas and the discussion thoughts that you are all coming up with. It has made me realize that I must make a collection of the best ones and send them out to all of you. That will be after the course has finished but not too far afterwards, I hope.

Many of your great ideas have been posted in the forums. Remember that the forums will be most productive if you post your thoughts in a place where others will look for them. So, to keep things organized and allow people to easily connect with each other on the same ideas, if you have a post about a topic in a particular lecture, make your post in the discussion space just below that video (not on the main page of the general forum).

We are busy now getting lessons 5-8 finished. One note about those: when you take a question that requires peer grading, if you click on "Start learning to grade" and get a message that says "Not enough calibrated essays," don't worry! That just means you're ahead of the game, and I need to grade more submissions before you can access the "Start learning to grade" environment. So, if this happens, simply leave the Peer Feedback section, move on to the next unit, and check back a bit later. Some people received that message in the first lessons because I didn't realize I needed to do that (this is all a new experience for me too!). This time I will do that as soon as there are responses to grade.

I hope that you will continue to find the sessions interesting, and keep coming up with those great thoughts and ideas!

Finally, for those of you who have just started the course, Welcome! No need to rush to catch up. You can work through the material at your own pace, and the course will be fully accessible until at least 9/27/13 at http://mathlearning.class.stanford.edu.

Jo

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I got this too. It is interesting to go in the forums and see what others are discussing and brainstorming.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2013

Has anyone else been a little surprised at what is considered to be appropriate answers? When I do the "Learning to assess" (or whatever it's called) part before I do the peer-assessing, I come across responses that are incredibly vague, and that don't make much sense. When I say it does not answer the question, I am told that it does. One time, I marked it 1, because I knew that despite the fact that it should be a 0, that the assessers would mark it a 1... not only did they mark it a 1, but they commented in the feedback that the answer did not really answer the question... Ummmmm... shouldn't that be a 0?

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 28, 2013

How would you be able to know? Aren't they anonymous?

BTW, is there a place where you can see the feedback that has been left?

I think I did the same thing, where someone's answer was like one sentence... and I gave it a zero, and that thing popped up as you said.

I could be mistaken, but I think that was some sort of "trial grading", and (I think) I clicked onto the real grading... where you could potentially score someone a zero.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 28, 2013

I think they are being generous with the points because it is a free class that doesn't really count or anything. Remember parents and other caregivers who aren't educators were invited to take the class too.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2013

I also found one or two poorly written answers that addressed the question at hand but were grammatically difficult to read. Keeping in mind not all taking the class are educators....:whistle:

When you check your progress, does it show 100% on the sections you've finished? Mine don't despite completing each lesson and responses...wondering if it's that they haven't been reviewed? It also shows none of my peer graded have been reviewed yet.

Loving the class though!

12. monsieurteacher

Jul 28, 2013

I think it's because they haven't been reviewed yet, czacza.

I'm enjoying the class too... I can't say I've learned anything completely new to me... a lot of what she says fits in with Cathy Fosnot's ideas, and I've attended several of her PD sessions. It does work well to get me excited about teaching Math.

Unfortunately, I'm not teaching Math next year though :lol:

13. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 28, 2013

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe English wasn't their first language.:dunno:

14. monsieurteacher

Jul 28, 2013

That much is clear sm2teach, but when I can't pull a coherent thought from the answer, how can I justifiably mark the response as having addressed the question? The broken English doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they don't make sense.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Agreed. I'd be happier with a 3 point grading system but since given the constraints of a 0 or 1, I'm erring on the side of 'close counts'.

16. monsieurteacher

Jul 30, 2013

I logged on and saw that the next two units are available... I was hoping I'd get an e-mail.

17. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 30, 2013

I just finished Sessions 5 and 6. While I agree with most of what is being said in theory, I am having trouble figuring out how to fit this into real life. I love the idea of math talks. I want to do project based learning though I still need a lot of training on this one. But I cannot figure out how to fit it into to my already packed curriculum. From what I understand, many of you doing Common Core have fewer standards but there still seems to be a lot. In my state we are not doing Common Core and struggle to get all our standards taught by the test. Often times our students come to us behind and we spend a lot of time trying to catch them up on missing skills.

I am the first to admit that one of the things I am continuously working on is time management. As a grade level, we already combine Science and Social Studies into our math curriculum to get grades. They are never taught as well as we should because we put higher emphasis on math. Any ideas how to fit these things in?:dizzy:

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 30, 2013

We frequently have some kind of assessment on Fridays and it leaves me a little bit of open time in my math block, so last year I started using it to practice problem solving strategies. Most of the time I related it to the unit we were in, but sometimes I pulled out questions from previous concepts. I think it could work at the beginning of a unit too, instead of a heavy teacher introduction.

19. monsieurteacher

Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, my answer would be that you don't have time not to be teaching Math this way. I don't see it as something that needs to be "added", so much as our regular teaching needs to be replaced. I've seen a great deal of success in the past, and think it can work. It does require some work to get started, and luckily, we have a great team of Math mentors in our district that work at developing resources that can be used to help teach Math this way, but I see this form of Math instruction as vital to students' understanding.

20. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2013

Today I got an answer completely in a different language. :unsure: I just refreshed the page to get a new answer to grade.

I agree with you. I admit this is entirely out of my comfort zone. I think it is great your district provides you with the resources. While our district will show a quick video at the beginning of the year, after spending the summer at administrative conferences, saying this is the best way to teach, this is where the resources stop. We are on our own. In fact, I shared a link to this class with our one and only curriculum director and she just gave me a quick "thanks for sharing" response. My goal this year is to incorporate the math talks and some journaling. May I ask what grades you teach?

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

It looks like sessions 5 and 6 are finally up!

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

I just finished session 5. Wow. So, I loved the use of dot cards to do math talks, helping students develop number sense. Does anyone here currently use dot cards, and if so how do you use them? I am very excited to include this element to math time.

23. monsieurteacher

Aug 4, 2013

I've used them in the past with grade one and grade two in much the same way as she used them in the demonstration...

24. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

When you guys view the video lessons, do you find that you read the panel much more than you watch the Professor? Not saying anything about the prof, because she's very pleasant. I'm just curious, because I always find that I read/rather than watch (that goes for movies I rent. I put subtitles on, and find that I read), and I'm not an avid reader normally.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

I read the transcript...although sometimes its not really word for word...the (INAUDIBLE)s crack me up...guess it couldn't translate Brit English to American English at times.:D

26. monsieurteacher

Aug 4, 2013

I turned off the transcript because it was driving me crazy :lol:

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Did session 5 today...loving the math talks! Those third graders (Nick Foote's class) were so stinking cute...loved their enthusiasm for math and teir use of terminology 'decomposing numbers' and :love: for their teacher's ways of teaching!

28. monsieurteacher

Aug 6, 2013

Session 7 is now out!

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

Oh my goodness, I am soooo incorporating the math talks this next school year. I think we must be at the same place in the math course. I finished session 5 the other day. I have been busy with my new puppy and some house cleaning projects I have going on and haven´t quite started session 6 yet.

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

Did you find they helped the students develop number sense?

31. monsieurteacher

Aug 6, 2013

Definitely, Tami.

I would be interested to find out how people did on the 4,4,4,4 challenge in session 7. I had to cheat and use more than four fours, but after the fact I looked it up. Quite interesting!

32. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I came up with about 12 solutions on my own and finally just submitted.

The algebra lesson was the most difficult lesson for me. I LOVED algebra when I was in high school and even worked as a developmental math lab assistant in college. I haven't used it much since. 5th grade math is as high as I've had to go in the last 15 years. I had a vague recollection on how to do the steps but had to do a quick Google search for a fast refresher. I can imagine that the parents who signed up for this course may be having a much more difficult time.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

I logged off to work on this...I currently have 9 solutions...almost halfway there...it's kicking my butt a bit.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

Ok...I'm using square root of 4 now...that's helping.
    Need 5 more solutions.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

Just did one using 4!....getting there...:D

36. monsieurteacher

Aug 7, 2013

Never thought of square root! Or 4!.... that's being creative :lol:

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

I have one number left. 4! of course uses numbers other than 4, but the equation only has 4s in it...

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

Do you think .4 can be used? I'm doubting it, but it helps me get my last number...:mellow:

39. monsieurteacher

Aug 7, 2013

Yes... I don't see why not... I've also seen 44 used...

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

44... Hmmmm....interesting....

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

How's everyone doing?