For those of you with babies/infants/kids... What do babies REALLY need??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

Hi!!!

I can't believe that I can reply to the question "When are due?" the answer "Next month!!!"

We had Liam's baby shower yesterday and it was amazing! We had so much fun. He is so loved by so many people already!

I have a question about activity gear. Mainly, the difference between the uses between a Stationary Entertainer, Jumperoo, and Exersaucer. Does Liam need one of each of these things?

He received these:

Baby Einstein Around the World Discovery Center:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3904625

Evenflo Double Fun ExerSaucer
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4460096

I think these are both Exersaucers? Which should I return/exchange? It doesn't appear like Liam will get much exercise from either. Should he instead have this:

Baby Einstein Musical Motion Jumperoo
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4311704

Also - is allowed to play on his activity mat at 2 weeks old? Is that too young? Not soon enough?

We're pretty sure we'll get him this activity mat:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2737988

THANK YOU for all of your help. Sorry for so many questions.. it's all so confusing and so much STUFF! I am positive that baby does not need this much STUFF but I do want to make sure he gets the play items he needs for developmental milestones like stretching his neck and using his little muscles!

Thanks!:love:

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 9, 2011

I didn't register for toys for our son, so we didn't get any at our showers. So we have spent a pretty penny picking things up as we though he would like them. I am sure these things aren't a necessity, but the few minutes I get while he is entertained are worth it! We have that exact activity mat and J loves it. Even now that he is sitting up. We have a Baby Einstein Jumperoo that he loves too! It stays in the kitchen and he plays there while I make dinner or unload the dishwasher. It is awesome!!! He was a bit short to use it at first so we put phone books under his feet and he loves it. The other thing that we love for him is a Bumbo. He sits in it in the middle of the table while we eat. He gets to feel a part of the dinner table. PM if you have questions about anymore stuff!

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 9, 2011

I can't answer the question about the play things since my little guy is only 3 weeks old, but we have put him on the activity mat for a little bit each day starting last week. He likes it for maybe 5 minutes max (if that). He goes on his back and looks at the toys and himself in the mirror...hates tummy time so we're not doing that yet (on the mat, at least...we will put him on his tummy on us for now since that's the only way he'll tolerate it).

What I've found helpful the first couple weeks...

Really good swaddling blankets. The Gerber receiving blankets and the like are good for other stuff but not really big enough to swaddle (our LO was almost 9 lbs at birth). We picked up some Aden and Anais (sp?) at Target...pricey, but they are big which is good. We also have a couple SwaddleMe's that we used the first week or so but not so much now because he doesn't like his hands restrained since he sucks on his fingers. If you can steal some of the hospital receiving blankets, do it...those are pretty good-sized, too. :)

Our little guy doesn't like to sleep on his back and would only sleep on us the first week. I hope your baby is a better sleeper than ours is, but if you find an issue, check out the Rock and Play Sleeper. DS will sleep in that for a couple hour stretches at a time and it gives me a break from having him on me all the time (though he still usually ends up on me around 4 or 5 a.m. because I'm so tired).

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

I would really say it depends on how many levels your house it. One nice thing that my husband and I have found is to have an exersaucer or jumperroo on each level of the house (that way you don't have to carry them up and down stairs). They are nice for when you are cooking dinner and can't really keep an eye on baby as well as showering or dressing. However, you won't need either of these for a few months (at least 3 months, I think).

Second, I would get a good baby swing. These are a life saver when they are little. Also, a playmat is nice-be sure it has a mirror! For the first few weeks, he wouldn't really use it-so a blanket would do fine. But you don't want to run out and buy one when he's so little.

The SwaddleMe was our best investment. My little one used it until she was 3 months old. Also, you can roll receiving blankets so that he can sleep on his side if necessary. The little sleepers with the zipper and no feet are great when the are little. So, easy to do middle of the night changes!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2011

While he may not get exercise from the first two centers you received from your shower, he will be entertained and stimulated. I think. :)

7. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Jan 9, 2011

I have a four month old and I bought the baby einstein musical motion jumper for him for Christmas. He is still too young to really enjoy it because he is too short to bounce himself, but he does like it when I bounce him in it. I also have one of the baby einstein play mats with the bar that goes above it with the toys that hang from it. I've put him on the mat since he was born (he had jaundice and we put him on it in front of the window), but he has just started to really get into playing with the toys. I also recommend the bright starts musical frog that you can attach to your carrier. He has really started to play with that and its great to keep them entertained in the car or store. For the first couple of months, they just need something with lots of colors and patterns to look at. As for necessities, definitely plan on lots of diapers and wipes. You can never have too many of those. I also highly highly highly recommend the carter brand receiving blankets that are 30x40. They are awesome to use when swaddling your baby burrito-style. He would always go right to sleep in no time at all. We also love the zip up sleep and play onesies. They make it really easy for night time (and day time) diaper changes. Also, if you plan on bottle feeding (or breastfeeding and pumping when going back to work) I love the Nuk brand bottles. They help cut down on messy eating and baby gets more in his tummy than on his face and clothes. Get the ones with the slow flow nipple. If I think of anything else, I will post it. Good luck and sleep now while you still can. :)

PS- I just looked at the activity mat that you had picked out.
    That is the same exact one that I have and we love it. Also, it is really easy to wipe clean and you can throw it in the wash pretty easily, too. It has a mirror that my DS has recently discovered and he loves looking at himself and smiling. :)

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

We also got a bundle me for the car seat. It made winter really easy. No blankets to fumble with. We just put her in the carseat and zip it up. She stayed warm and we could take the carrier with us anywhere.

A stroller is a must too when they are little. We loved our carseat/stroller combination, so we could just take out the carseat and fit it onto the stroller. Very easy to go shopping with this.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

Thank you so much ladies. :) I really appreciate your input.

10. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 9, 2011

Congrats!!!
    We never used a stationary entertainer or exersaucer (ped did not recommend due to false sense of security standing/walking and hurting ankle. Her words not mine) but we had a jumparoo for our second and she loved it. I highly recommend a swing - huge hit for both and works great if they are really congested and can't sleep laying down. Also - activity mates great for all ages, just make sure they are getting tummy time early :)
    I also loved the bumbo - but my chunky monkey did not fit so we barely got to use :(

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

You must be thrilled that you're getting closer!

Babies need lots of love, hugs, smiles, someone to read to them....people are best for babies to learn from in addition to these toys.

Have fun and enjoy this time.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

Jumperoo and swing. Take back exersaucers...they have toys on jumperoo (babies have fisher price rainforest one)...I found baby Einstein one too stiff.
    2 weeks old is too young for activity mat. Baby will still be mainly sleeping. Still nice to have for when baby is few weeks older.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 9, 2011

I highly recommend a Bumbo seat. I used mine at around 2 months.

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

I like them, but worry that our baby will be too chubby to fit in it. At our 33 week ultrasound he measured 5 lbs 11 ounces.:confused:

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

Babies need food, something to cover their butts, and a place to sleep. They would be perfectly happy in a dresser drawer or a nice sturdy box if that's all you had.

For the extra stuff, I really liked having a swing, but I never used any of the other stuff. My babies liked playing on the floor with the little A-frame toys that hung over them.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 9, 2011

MM has the right idea. All those expensive items are nice, but you really don't need them.

For the first few months, patterns and shapes in high contrast colors will stimulate the baby and keep him from getting bored.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 9, 2011

You'd be surprised. They are surprisingly accommodating!

And I agree with mm. With my first daughter, we had ALL the gear. In multiple colors. With the second, we had whatever was still in working condition from the first.

With my son, who is 8 months old, we have...a few clothes, a few toys (more now after Christmas), and one walker-car thing that came from my nephew who is now 11 (both the girls used it). We did buy a bassinette, because our old house was really small and we didn't need it, but it was helpful with our new, bigger house.

We wanted, but never ended up buying, a monitor. We've been just fine.

I thought with the girls I couldn't live without a swing. While I will say that of all the gear, a swing is really nice, but I've found that I could live without it. Honestly, I cannot for the life of me remember what happened to our swing with the girls. It somehow did not get moved to the new house, and I can't remember if we sold it, or what. But I didn't want to buy a new one, knowing that this was our last child.

Our old stroller is a must. We've probably used it more with our son than the girls. And of course a good car seat is essential. Make it easy to clean, easy to carry, and easy to look at. I'm currently in the market for a bigger convertible car seat. I found some really nice ones on Overstock last night.

Other than that, we really just don't need the stuff that we thought we couldn't live without. I use, every day, my Bumbo, our old high chair, the car seat, and a few toys.

18. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 9, 2011

As for the bumbo - we have had many friends very happy and were looking forward to using ours. But we had to push her chubby legs in too much. Then again born at 9 pounds and had not problem gaining weight :) Then again, I think ours may have been a little older when we tried using it - so maybe that is why she did not fit :)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

What do babies really need? Love. Lots of hugs. Stories read to them. Kisses on their toes.:love::angel:

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

I will tell you I had teacher friend brought me her old exersaucer. It didn't have lots of frills, but it had a few little things & it spun in circles. They do get a little more exercise than you think & it's more for them to start putting weight on those little legs. I LOVED MINE... I really don't know what I would have done without one when babe was older & I had to jump in the shower. I would bring this in the bathroom with me. When babe was old enough I could hear that think doing circles & rocking (ours had a rounded bottom)... the giggling that came from that thing was so infectious... LOL!!!

A swing as well. I think I had like 3 different swings. My mom got one at a garage sale, my neighbor let us borrow hers & we got one of those portable ones.

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 10, 2011

Oh, I would also suggest a Moby wrap (or at least some sort of carrier). The Moby wrap provides more diversity, though (although I've only learned one hold so far - there are lots of You Tube "how to" videos you can check out). $40 for a piece of fabric seems a little outrageous but when you have a baby that just wants to be with you and you'd like your hands free for awhile, it really comes in handy. DS will cozy up in it and sleep on me and I can type with 2 hands, throw laundry in, cook dinner, etc. I've even gone to the bathroom with him in it (I know...the joys of mommyhood. ;) I'd recommend getting it ahead of time and practicing how to use it.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

I love love love our swing. I don't know what I'd do without it. I haven't put Nicholas in the Bumbo chair yet, but I will try soon! We also have a jumperoo, but its not together yet. I don't have an activity mat, but we use blankets and the boppy and ourselves for tummy time.

One thing that I swear by is the boppy pad liner. I put it on top of the changing pad and it has saved our changing pad covers several times already! It protects the changing pad covers if your child is like mine and pees or poops during diaper changes or if there is a really messy diaper.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3245199

I can't believe your baby is almost here! SO excited for you!! :) Its the best time ever. And it flies by...

23. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 10, 2011

Yes, definitely get something to cover the changing pad cover! We've just been using cheap hand towels we found on clearance at Target...but it's easier to have a bunch of those on hand to use than to keep washing the changing pad cover!

Along the same lines, invest in a great stain remover...that poop is hard to get off of baby clothes sometimes!

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

Yup, Nicholas has ruined a few onesies courtesy of his poop...glad the onesies go under clothes so you can't see the stains! :lol:

25. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

Thank you so much, ladies. I can't wait till next month. :)

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Definitely be prepared for those "fountains" with your little boy!

A funny story...we hosted my husband's extended family for Christmas, and of course everyone put their coats in on our bed. My MIL took my babe in to change him quickly, and he peed ALL OVER our aunt's coat. :eek: We got to laughing so hard, we knew she wouldn't be mad or anything (she has 3 boys), then another aunt came in to see what we were doing and SHE started laughing, pretty soon everyone was in the bedroom just cracking up. And here lays my little boy, just milking in all the attention of all these people laughing their heads off at him!