For those of you with 33 months to 5 years

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Myname, May 2, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

May 2, 2006

How long is your nap time? And what times do you do nap?

What are teachers doing during this time?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 2, 2006

Kids sleep from about 1pm-3pm. They have a short book time beforehand, lay down about 12:45 and are asleep by around 1. At home, I come on here and do planning and preparing. In other centers, I made sure teachers used their time wisely with planning and this was also the time where they took their lunch breaks.

4. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

May 2, 2006

I have 4 & 5 yr olds (all will be going to Kindergarten in the fall). They finish lunch around 12:30, go back to the room and use bathroom & wash hands. Then they lay down and we get them up at 2:30. Most sleep, only two that never sleep.

5. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

May 3, 2006

Our class is mostly 3 yr olds. They have lunch around 10:30 and we try to have everyone pottied and on their cots by 11:00. Their nap time is from 11:30 til 1:30. During this time is the teachers lunch hour. Most of the time for the other hour we get craft projects ready.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 3, 2006

Do the kids do well on that schedule? 10:30 seems so early to have lunch to me.

7. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

May 3, 2006

Yes, they do. A lot of our kids arrive anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30. We have breakfast by 8:30, lunch by 10:30, 1st snack at 1:30 and then if there isn't a birthday/holiday we have another snack by 3:30. Some of our kids arrive at 6:30 and have to stay until almost 5:30. Such a long day for little ones! Also, keep in mind their portion sizes aren't very big and some of them just don't like to eat breakfast. So, by 10:30 they are all good and hungry.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 3, 2006

I've worked at places that have lunch by 11am, but never 10:30 so I was just curious. 6:30 is so early for little ones too. I remember having some in other classes that would come at 6am as well.:eek:

9. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

May 4, 2006

I know in my sons elementary school some kids eat lunch as ealry as 10:45 while others are as late as 1:30. I know the teachers let them bring snacks either for AM or PM because that is pretty early and late if you ask me!

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 4, 2006

We have nap from around 12:30-1:45 or so depending on if they ride the early bus or what.

We used to eat lunch at 10:00 but I did some flip flopping... my students arrive between 7:45 - 8:00. When they come back from PE at 9, we have a breakfast snack... finger eat dry cereal (good fine motor skills practice, too.) We now eat lunch at 11:45 (I think... I've been on maternity leave since Mar 14th and can't remember all of my schedule anymore... thank goodness it is written on the board in the room).

Most of mine take a nap. It may take some a while to get to sleep and some wiggle and squirm the whole dang time like they have ants in their pants. When the reluctant ones finally do fall asleep, they have to get up in 15 minutes or so and do not get their naps out. It is like pulling teeth to wake them up. Sometimes, I wonder how long some of them would sleep if you let them sleep until they did wake up. Several go back to sleep once they get on the bus to go home.

Lori

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 4, 2006

I'm not allowed to give a nap "because this is public school, not daycare." I wish I had one, though... I have several kids who could REALLY use one!!! And a couple of them fall asleep in the car on the way home at 2:30.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 5, 2006

You can tell them that many of our PS K teachers lay their kids down for a rest period. Not many fall asleep, but it gives them a rest from the hectic day. I think it's so important if they really need it.

13. cristyann_05

cristyann_05 Rookie

May 5, 2006

the kids at our school nap from about 11:30-2:00. during this time the teacher cleans up from lunch, (some teachers get to go and take a long lunch while someone else stays with their class.) they also get to work on lesson plans and those sorts of things...

14. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

May 5, 2006

Clarnet how old are your students. We are not aloud to nap either, but what we do is read a chapter book aloud while all the students lay down, close thier eyes and work on "visualizing" (one of our standards) what is being read. If they fall alseep we let them rest for 1/2 an hour. When I had 3s and 4s we would read Junie B Jones books, Magic Three House books, A to Z mysteries, Charolette's Web, Sturt Little, etc.

15. 4Lisa

4Lisa Rookie

May 8, 2006

We lay down at about 12:45 then I sit in the chair and read usually 2 stories, they can't see the pictures but they use their imaginations about what they think the picture will look like. It really helps them settle then it is usually about 1:00 and some are asleep already and almost all of the others fall asleep by 1:30. We have a couple that sometimes sleep and sometimes don't. As long as they are quiet on their mats, they can look at a book or something after a half hour or so. Then we wake up at 3:00. That schedule works really well for us. :)