For Those Of You Who Have Looped...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 31, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 31, 2010

If you have looped with a class and knew you were going to before the summer, did you tell your kids?

I keep going back and forth with the idea. On one hand they are really nervous about getting a new teacher, so knowing would really put them at ease. They make comments all the time like "I don't want to go to 1st Grade, I want to stay here with you next year"-so part of me is just dying to tell them I'm going to 1st too.

On the other hand, things happen and decisions change. One of the admins has a child she wants in my class-so out of all the moves that are slated to happen, I think this is the most likely. I'm just not sure what to do. What's been your experience?

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 1, 2010

I MAY be looping with my class too. I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should tell them or not.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2010

Our students know and I love that they do.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 1, 2010

If you are certain that you will be with them next year, I see no harm in telling them that. Maybe wait a little longer, just in case.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2010

In my late march through the field of education..... I think I learned a new term..... "looped."....:p:p

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 1, 2010

I'm 38 and can STILL remember the thrill of walking into my second grade class and finding my first grade teacher there. Let it be a wonderful surprise, especially considering some kids might be moved to another teacher. It would a terrible letdown for those kids.

8. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2010

I looped this year with my 2nd graders from last year up to 3rd. I knew last year in May that I was looping but I didn't tell my kids until our "Moving Up Day". Basically the last day of school, all the students get a chance to meet their next year's teacher etc. So all the kids move up to the next grade, get a school supply list etc. On that day, my kids were nervous about who would be their 3rd grade teacher, we had a party and everything. After the party, my Principal came in the room and surprised them with the news. They all cheered. I'm kinda glad I waited because it gave them something exciting to take with them over their summer break.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 1, 2010

We are getting a new Principal next year (AGAIN!!) so I can't be certain that I will be looping. I'm most likely keeping it to myself, but my situation is different from yours.

10. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Apr 1, 2010

Just an idea...I've never looped before with a whole class. You probably want to run anything you do by your Principal first before you do it. Why don't you write a note to the parents and students, send it home the last day of school and let the parents have the choice of telling the children or not telling them? You could also include a summer activity for the students to complete upon returning to school and a supply list. Just a thought.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 1, 2010

I looped 2nd to 3rd. Prior to looping, each parent was sent a letter asking whether or not they wished their child to be placed in my room again. I requested this be done and my principal agreed. Out of 19 students 17 came to 3rd grade with me. One student moved and one had to be placed in an inclusion room. I got 2 additional students who were new to the school. This was the greatest experience thus far of my teaching career. The class was a dream come true as were the parents. I don't think I would have tried the looping if I didn't have such a wonderful 2nd grade.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 1, 2010

I guess my situation is a little unique. I teach a GT class and will be teaching the GT class in 1st-so all my kids (unless they move or something) will still be with me. My P said I can tell the parents after the end of this month when everyone officially finds out their placements. I have a really good relationship with my parents-- without sounding immodest, I know many will be really happy to hear they someone they already trust will be with their babies another year. I guess maybe I'm really excited and kind of want to share that with them?

Now I'm really torn on what to do. It would be cool to have it be a surprise-maybe wait until I send the welcome letter. I don't know.

13. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 1, 2010

I looped when I was a kid...2nd to 3rd and LOVED it! Mrs. Ward was the best!

I have also taught a 1st grade/2nd grade loop. I got really attached to the families and kiddos. It was great to see how MUCH they grew. At the end of my 2nd year with them, behavior started to slip a bit. Many of the kids were VERY comfortable with me and I started to see behaviors that kids sometimes save for their parents. If I were to loop again, I would really review/teach/model behavior expectations that 2nd year. Even though they know you, they could use the reminder.

And, I say TELL them! It'll be fun and exciting and they won't wonder. I'm sure the kids and parents will the thrilled to have you again!

14. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010

My son's first grade teacher looped into second with the whole class. They all knew before the end of the first year, and it eased the transition into second. Gone was all the stress of who do we get, what if we don't like them...it was a great idea! I think you should tell them.

15. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 2, 2010

I looped up to 3rd w/ my 2nd graders from last year. I have a marvelous group of kids and parents! In our district, the kids don't find out who their teachers are until about a week before school at registration day, so my kids didn't know until August. (It was so hard to keep it a secret!) My class and parents did know, however, that I was moving up to 3rd and no one requested not to have me again (ha ha), but I did ask my p to please check with parents before committing these kids to me again. He didn't see a need to do that, and everyone has been very positive about the experience. Just this past week I have had 5-6 parents ask if I would go on to 4th with them!

As for whether or not to tell them, I really don't know. I think 3rd grade at my school is a hard year (traditionally), so it might have eased some to know ahead of time. It was fun, though, to watch their eyes scan the class list as I handed it to them at registration and see the shock when they realized that we were all together again!

16. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 2, 2010

Looking back in my elementary school days, I had the same teacher for 5th and 6th grades. It wasn't too much of a mystery because she had a mixed 5th and 6th grade class. Continuity is nice, but it probably is less of an issue at the higher grades.

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2010

I also had the same teacher for 3rd and 4th (a nun!) and she was my all time favorite. She had so many words of wisdom for us that I still remember to this day.
    I am a K teacher who will probably be moved up to 1st and if so, I will ask the P if I can loop with my kids. All the experiences I have read about from teachers who looped have been positive. Plus I have a GREAT class. I already told my kids I may teach 1st and I may be their teacher again next year and they all cheered! :D

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 3, 2010

I would not mind looping with this year's class. They're truly awesome!!!

I taught 1st grade my first year teaching. I taught 2nd grade my second year teaching. I had the option of taking my entire class with me to 2nd grade; however, I opted to only take two of them. It was a tough group (since I was brand new, it seemed as though I was given the roughest bunch of kids); thus, there were only a couple that I didn't mind having again!!!

I don't see a problem with telling the kids before the school year's over! I wouldn't be able to keep it a secret!!!

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 4, 2010

That's how I feel too-just so excited. :D They asked me to do it last year and I had just a remarkable bunch of kids. But they left me on such a high level, particularly in reading-I just wasn't sure I had the resources to take them where they could go in 1st. This year's group is sweet and no major behavior issues-but they started on a much lower level, mostly late bloomers academically. I know next year I can get them where they need to be.