For those of you in the gas shortage areas, how is it affecting you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by corps2005, Sep 28, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

I don't really know if this is a problem just in and around the Atlanta area or if it's all over. The gas shortage wasn't really affecting me any until about a week ago, when I was on empty and couldn't find a station. I drove around for almost 30-40 minutes and finally found a station. Then, I waited about 20 minutes to get the gas. Then, another 30-45 minute drive home. And I got my gas easy. :p

Now, I'm getting more concerned. The lines are wrapping up over 1-2 miles long at the stations that do have gas, which are only 1 out of 10. My husband hasn't been able to find premium at all (which is the only thing his car can take; sports car) and has about half a week of gas left. After that, we don't know what's going to happen. He makes more money than I do, so he'll end up taking my car. I guess I'll end up taking my sick days then.

There's no point in waiting in the lines because by the time you get up there, there isn't anything left.

It upsets me that people are just topping off their tanks, while the people that really need gas can't get it. I watched a guy the day I filled up for gas filling up 2 extra gas canisters!!! :eek: Each one looked to be able to hold an entire tank of gas. :| I think that is rude. Those two canisters could have helped two other drivers out. I'm doing my part by getting gas only when I need it. I wish others would do the same. We've been told, in the Atlanta area, to expect this to continue for a couple more weeks. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

My next door neighbor's have been out of gas since Thursday and weren't able to go to work. We can't help them because they work over 45 minute away. If they worked close to here, I'd drop them off. Sigh. I guess in the meantime, maybe people can pray that reason will overrule people's stupidity. :help:

And that's my rant for the day after another frustrating. :p

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2008

In the guy's defense: for all we know, his wife is 9 months pregnant and he's worried he won't be able to get her to the hospital when he needs to. Sometimes it's hard to tell someone else's motives when they appear to be bending either the rules or common courtesy.

The metro NYC area hasn't been hit by shortages, just incredible price increases.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

In Roswell, and Alpharetta it's no better :(

I got lucky and found fuel...only 5 min wait...then they ran out 3 hours later.

Place bf went today only took cash...and he got yelled at by some stupid employee for asking about why the credit card machine was down...

if his kid wasn't in the back seat...I would've said something...UGH

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 28, 2008

I think there needs to be a large scale investigation into these shortages. Only a few areas are affected, and in some areas, prices are actually going down. According to what I've read, the last of the refineries to go back online was 3 days after Ike, so why are some areas having issues like this? Our supplies come from the gulf coast refineries, and we've seen gas drop by over 20 cents in the last week. There's no legitimate reason that I can see for this to be happening in that part of the southeast. The people of the affected states need to demand answers. There's no reason for you guys to be going through this.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2008

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. We aren't experiencing gas shortage up here, and like mm, we are actually seeing prices go down. I know some places in NC are not requiring their employees to come in for a couple of days because of the shortage.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

We have been pretty much out since Wednesday (as in completely out since then). People are camping out in lines hoping shipments come. And, when you do find it, there is a $20 limit. Every gas station with gas pretty much has at least 1 cop present as there have been brawls. I got of the expressway Friday and the gas station by my house had FOUR cops there!!
    I work at a car dealership and they have been syphoning (sp?) gas from car to car. It's pathetic, really.

I am good until Wednesday. If I can't get gas by then, I guess I'll have a few days off :D (I have an hour commute each way)

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 28, 2008

I haven't noticed any shortages here, but a few people have mentioned is when they've been travelling south of here and way to the east.

I never let my car get below half a tank, and I generally get gas when I'm only down a quarter of a tank. I don't feel a bit guilty for getting only that much. Both of my parents have serious medical issues, and we live 50 miles from the hospital. There's no way that I would risk letting my tank get low.

Our prices have gone down over 20 cents per gallon, which is great for me since my car takes only premium.

9. smalltowngal

Sep 29, 2008

$20 wouldn't do me a bit of good!

10. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Sep 29, 2008

I agree with mm. Something is wrong with the whole situation. Has anyone said WHY you all have a gas shortage? Gas is flowing again after Ike and Gustav. It's really going down here. Two weeks ago it was $3.80, last week it went down to $3.10. A friend gave me gas money yesterday and a measly $25 gave me more than a half a tank! Whooo hoo! (Who ever thought we'd be happy for $3.10 gas! :()

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

they said it could take until oct. 13 until everything is back to normal...blah

12. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

Rumors have it that they might be closing schools for two days, but that remains to be seen. I really wish rumors like that wouldn't go around unless it REALLY happens. It's like a false hope. :p I mean, don't get me wrong. I enjoy my class, but who wouldn't like two days to relax at this time of the year? It's like the long stretch until Thanksgiving. :p

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

no kidding!!!! I work in a private school though :(

Stupid purdue should have closed schools now and not 3 years ago when fuel wasn't an issue

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

Wow! I live in Texas and gas here is $3.30. There is no gas shortage here.

15. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

I didn't realize it, but my husband said they are rationing the gas in our area. He went to a station in our small town over the weekend and they were completely out of gas, but he was able to find it at the next station he went to. Prices have gone down quite a bit from earlier in the summer, and this week made it back down to the pre-Ike prices.

16. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

I forgot to mention that there are many gas stations around here who stopped selling premium gas.

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 29, 2008

I'm south of Atl and getting gas around here is a joke. People have been camping out at the stations or following the gas trucks around. I'm only 2 minutes from school, but hubby is an hour away in drive and complains daily about no gas anywhere. One place here in town got gas, but had a 10.00 limit. That will barely get you to the next gas station.

It is really scary. And Perdue isn't even in the state--he's off on some trip.

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

To Spain...for economical things ;)

19. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 29, 2008

I feel for some of you who are in these situations. When the last gas shortage happened many people in my area joined forces by car pooling or driving to an area where they could get on public transportation. Is that an option for anyone? Even if someone doesn't work at your place of business or school perhaps a way could be worked out where one person may have to arrive early at work and one many have to wait a while for the other person to finish. Sometimes desperate times make for desperate measures.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2008

Instead of these $10 or $20 limit, what about doing what they did back in the 70s? I think what they did was if your license plate number ended in an odd number, you got gas on certain days and even on the other days. Maybe it didn't work..... I'm sorry for those of you who are having to deal with this.

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

We are not having a shortage, but we are not seeing prices drop either--they are still a whopping $3.99!! :eek: Why would they go down in some places, stay high in others, and have no gas in other places? Crazy!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2008

We are around $3.99 too. It came down from the $4.50 ish area. I don't even bother looking at the prices. I just get the gas, fill it all the way up, and don't really look at how much it was. Why get depressed. :rolleyes:

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

This story was on the evening national news. One reporter said that if people go outside of the metro area (about an hour away), there is gas readily available.
    Is that true??

The price of gas in the Columbus, OH area is dropping a little bit at a time. My husband said that he saw gas for $3.49 a gallon today.

24. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

nope...shortages everywhere

25. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

I'm two hours south of Columbus, but all I have to do is drive about 40 minutes north and I start seeing the price drop. It continues to drop the entire way. I live in one of the highest poverty areas of Ohio (and US) and we pay some of the highest gas prices in Ohio. I'm just glad that we are able to afford it.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2008

Charlotte has a pipeline through it. Supposedly, the 2 refineries that supply our gas were both damaged in the hurricane. They are bringing gas in by truck.

I really have no idea and this is what I was told, LOL.

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008

Channel 2 reported that all QuickTrips would have gas on a regular basis starting on Wednesday.

I've been in lines twice now. I brought a book and an iced coffee and just chilled out. People have been very friendly and talkative, not like what they say on the news.

28. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

In Okla. if you don't mind 10% ethanol in your gas, you can find it for around $3.10 - no shortages. If you want the real thing, it's around $3.55 if they aren't out. I guess the premium real thing sells out FAST.

29. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Sep 30, 2008

No shortages in the DC area and prices are starting to drop.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 30, 2008

Price went down another 4 cents today :D We're a quarter down from immediately post Ike.

31. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 30, 2008

Nope, at least not in my area.

32. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 30, 2008

WHOA! I saw gas (with ethanol) down to $2.99 on my way home today!!!! I didn't think I'd ever see gas below $3 again.:clap:

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 30, 2008

The cheap station here was 3.59. Right after Ike it had jumped to around 3.90. Most stations are around 3.65.

34. smalltowngal

Sep 30, 2008

Gas around here is at $3.55. We did get some today at a Walmart and noticed that the premium grades were out.

35. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 1, 2008

Well, I was finally able to find gas yesterday. The lines are getting shorter now. It wasn't a bad wait at all. There's just one problem...we've been seeing plenty of unleaded now, but still NO premium anywhere. There are still a lot of gas stations without gas, but you only have to drive about 20 minutes now to find one with gas. But my hubby will have no more gas after Friday. We have not been able to find any premium anywhere. I guess he's taking my car Monday. I'm trying to find coworkers to catch a ride with. If I can't, I guess I stay home. Mumbling...I don't like using sick days that way. Can't even go anywhere and enjoy myself. I paid 4.29 for my gas yesterday, unleaded.

So cross your fingers for us. :) Hopefully, we'll find some premium.

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 1, 2008

I tried four stations before finding premium yesterday. WE hadn't found any places with no gas, so I just assumed I could get premium, but all of the places had regular in all their tanks!

My car won't run on anything but premium. I can put mid-grade in about every third or fourth tank, but that's about it. I tried regular twice, and within a couple of months I was out $1600 in in engine repairs.

On the positive side, when I did find premium, I got it for $3.85. I'd paid as much as $4.49 for it.