For those in bad schools

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by tough, May 28, 2009.

1. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

May 31, 2009

Unfortunately in many schools the administration does not want to be bothered with discipline problems.Teachers soon learn they need to handle all but the most severe problems on their own. A friend of mine was just asked to resign because he was sighted for poor classroom management.He had the nerve to contact security when a fight broke out in the room.:whistle:

2. PreK3

PreK3 Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

I think it's important to call home with good news too. If you can build some kind of relationship with the parents and be able to let them know you do notice the specialness of their child, you may be more accepted when you have something not so good to say. A lot of work, yes. You may not get through every time. If you reach out to the families, don't give up on them, and let the families help you (they are the experts on their children), it all may just become more positive.

3. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

It depends on the student's parents. When I was teaching some wild eighth graders last fall, calling the parents did not help at all because they simply didn't give a ****. When I called the sixth grade honor students' parents last spring, it helped a lot because the parents did give a ****.
    Yes, this was at a bad school where the administration mandated a no referral policy. The principal would hold staff meetings in which she said that good teachers never have to write referrals. She was in complete denial about the students' out of control behavior and the students knew it. This gave them power.
    As the spring semester came to a close, it was clear that the inmates were running the asylum.

4. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

This sounds like MY middle school! This really burns me up.
    Don't the administrators realize that they are creating the problem? The students know, they sense it even, when the administration does not support the teachers.
    I have worked in an inner city high school as LTS where the administrators ran their school like a tight ship. If a student received 3 referrals they were suspended, period. Needless to say classroom management was a breeze because the students were cognizant of the fact that the adminstration has a zero tolerance policy and that they backed up their teachers.

5. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

[
    If the words you have quoted as what you say in conferences are an accurate quote I can see why you are having problems. The "All I am asking is.. Is that too much?" Sounds aggressive, condescending, and as if you are already assuming the parents will not support you. It sounds like you are accusing the parents of working against you. That does not seem the best way to convey to the parents that you want to work with them to facilitate the learning of their child.[/QUOTE]

Monkey:

I didn't see it that way. MY impression was the teacher did not preface her speech with,"All I'm asking..." I think she said it out of exasperation because the parents were not getting it. I think it's unfair to blame the teacher for expecting their child to be quiet unless he raises his hand.
    I think the parents are to blame here as evidenced with their obstinate, petulant and immature response to her simple request. Clearly, their child is a reflection of them.

6. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

Often, all it takes is one conversation with a parent to learn why their children act the way they do. I've also had parents say their children don't have to respect me until I've earned it.

7. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Of course….I am totally agreed with Dfleming. if we talk the parents face to face then we can handle the situation simply.

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

When I taught in a "bad school" (Reserve) I never met the parents of kids I taught. They never answered the phone. If they did, they agreed with everything I said, and then nothing changed, though on occasion the parents sent the kid to live somewhere else.