For those going back to the classroom...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Aug 6, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 6, 2020

What’s your plan for your classroom items such as classroom library books (I’ve got a ton), pencil sharpener, puzzles and games, and other student used items?

I kind of want to gut my classroom and bring home all personal items. But my husband reminded me that we don’t have room for all that. I guess the books sit and gather dust then?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 6, 2020

I bought plastic drop cloths to cover my shelves and supplies. We can still see them and use them if we have to, I’ll clean them if we use them.

a2z and bella84 like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 6, 2020

Oy. Didn't think about it.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

I brought home all my personal decorative items, to make it easier to sanitize. Everything left is either vinyl or in a frame. No knicknacks on my desk.

I bought some shower curtain liners at the Dollar Tree that I plan to use to cover my bookshelves. I'm also thinking about using some of those hanging on clothes racks to put partitions in my room where I can't keep kids 6 feet apart.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 7, 2020

I did the clothes racks and shower curtains around my desk. I can keep the kids 6’ apart, but I can’t keep them 6’ from me.

Desk Barrier

otterpop likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 7, 2020

This is a lot but I like your style.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2020

We've been told we're getting storage pods for "not allowed" items. I'm not sure if we'll be forced to put things in the pods, or if we're allowed to leave them in our rooms and just not use them. I'm personally in favor of leaving them in my room and just not using them for now, if allowed. Based on previous experiences with moving rooms and moving buildings once, I'm pretty wary of getting all of my stuff back if I put it in some storage pod.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 9, 2020

I out as much extra stuff as possible in my closet. I hate to put things in storage because they disappear. I can find a place at home for my personal stuff, but things the school purchased need to stay.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2020

I'd be asking him what you would have to do if you quit your current position to leave for another and had to bring your stuff home for the summer.

I know some people truly don't have room. Their houses are full for many different reasons.

Is there a way you can bring some things home a have certain things off limits by turning a shelf around so kids can't access what is on it. Wrap it in plastic and tape it?

If you do bring some home, make sure you make a good list so you know where everything is when you need it later! LOL

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2020

I am not going back in person in in the fall, but if we do go back, I will just put all of those supplies away in closets. I’m lucky to have a ton of closet space!

bella84 likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 9, 2020

Yeah, we do technically have room if we really need it, but I have a LOT of stuff haha. It would mean having a bunch of boxes either taking up space in the garage, or somewhere in a corner of the house. If I was moving classrooms it would be doable, but I agree it’s better to store it at school if I can. At some point when I’m able to, I definitely need to clean it all out and get rid of lots of it! We went from being a school that was pretty flexible in what we could use to a school that more or less expected only doing the purchased, mostly online curriculum with no time for extras. I have lots of games, craft supplies, manipulatives, supplemental materials, and even classroom library books that don’t really get used anymore, sadly. It’s hard to know what to keep because I hope I’ll be in a position someday where I’m able to use those types of things again.