For the ones that want to earn a Masters or Ed.S online

Discussion in 'General Education' started by seduflow, Mar 19, 2009.

1. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Mar 19, 2009

3. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Mar 20, 2009

Elearners.com is a great site too.

4. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Mar 21, 2009

5. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

I know this may be a highjack here but how do employers view online degrees as compared to a conventional degree? Are online degrees really recognized as credible?

6. thechangingtabl

Mar 21, 2009

I have not attended an online class or online only school, so this is only my opinion.

I am looking to start my masters program and I am focused on schools with a B&M campus, preferably state schools, that offer online only masters.

I am looking at in-state schools and out of state (that charge in-state tuition for online classes), but online only is not out of the question.

So far, I like the online education masters programs at:

Chadron State College (Nebraska)
    Arkansas State University
    University of Texas-Arlington (possibly for TX teachers only)
    Drury University (Missouri)
    University of West Florida

but I have also looked at American Public University, Walden, etc., i.e. online only schools.

My focus is money and accreditation, as well as whether or not the classes will give me certification with the state. If the online only classes are accepted by the state to give you the endorsement or certificate, I guess it should not matter, but we cannot be sure that the principal will not care.

Sorry for rambling...

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 21, 2009

I too looked into online schools, but instead opted for a local program. This is because my administration, and others I have talked to (locally) still attach a bit of a stigma to online degrees. People tend to question their rigor and credibility... even from regionally accredited schools.

That said, I do think that stigma will go away in time. I certainly hope it does, as I want to pursue further coursework even after my masters, which isn't offered locally.

8. thechangingtabl

Mar 21, 2009

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

I am going to do my degree online, but nobody will know; it will be from a highly respected state university that has an excellent graduate program in science education.

10. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Mar 22, 2009

its best to do an online program with an established college, like missouri univ. for example

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2009

Many districts value the traditional programs more highly. My district has just recently begun accepting online/distance learning for professional development classes. An entire online degree wouldn't hold the same weight in my district though as a traditional degree when considering new hires...

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 22, 2009

I was assigned an on-line defensive driver's course once (to wipe out a ticket). I didn't evenhave the discipline get through it. A full college class? I'd barely get through the first "night".

13. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Mar 22, 2009

14. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 22, 2009

This topic has been discussed numerous times on the boards.
    Basically, do what works for you. I have to get my masters online, because the closest school with a masters program is an hour away; that is not feasable for me. Also, most of the teachers in my county are earning theirs through online programs. I went to my local ESC before I started to make sure it was acceptable, and they told me more are doing it than not, and there really isn't the stigma with it that there used to be. You kind of have to get past the "old timers" who are used to the old ways--not that they are bad, because they aren't, but new ways aren't necessarily bad either. I think it is great that there are more options for people. Especially since most states require teachers to earn a masters within a specific time frame. (mine does)

I work harder with my online classes than I did my bachelors. I think it is because it requires a lot of discipline on the part of the student. I also love the fact that I am exposed to people from all over the country, not just people from the same demographic as me.

Anyway--everybody should choose what works best for him/her. Traditional or online--doesn't matter.