for the married couples....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 23, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

How do you like to celebrate your wedding anniversary? What types of gifts do you give your wife or husband? Tomorrow (sat) is our 5th wedding anniversary and he is not going to be home to celebrate since he is on a work trip so I have some time to think of something besides dinner....hmm...ideas welcome!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2012

We don't really do gifts, but we do like to go out and do something special. We might try to go out and do something on the Las Vegas Strip this year for ours, maybe one of the shows. I really want to see the Tournament of Kings, so that's what I'm going to push for. :)

We celebrate our "monthiversary" just about every month. It's the day of the month on which we were married, every month. So every 26th or whatever, we will have a special monthiversary thing. Sometimes it's just a movie from Redbox and Chinese take-out, and other times it's going out to dinner and a movie. It's never anything too elaborate. It's really fun, though, and gives us a chance to celebrate our marriage often. :)

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

We are not big on "obligatory" gifts either. If something really stands out, sure...but we never expect gifts and most often there are none. We don't at all celebrate when we were married simply because we had for so long celebrated the anniversary of us becoming a couple we wanted to continue. I swear, I don't know when we married. It's one of two months in my head and the date is in the twenties...I know that. :unsure: So, anyhow, our "became a couple" date is our special anniversary and at the very least cards are exchanged each year. I admit we do less now than we did prior to marrying simply because of time and other obligations...like work! But some things we've done:

• Spent the day exploring the state's capitol. Of course we'd both been, but it was fun. We both love history.
    • Spend the day in a secluded part of a huge lake here...picnicked, walked trails and such.
    • Enjoyed Mammoth Cave. Again, both been...but not together. :wub:
    So, nothing major. Just day trips.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

As the years go by, we do less and less to celebrate. But, sometimes we use it as an excuse to really celebrate--mostly by taking a cruise. We tried to go to Hawaii this year, but could not get a flight.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

We will usually go out on a date (something we need to do more often since having kids). Our seven year wedding anniversary is this Monday, and we are going to a concert on Wednesday to celebrate. At this point, we don't really need more "stuff" to fill up our house, so I prefer to just do something together.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2012

(not married, but I was in a long distance relationship for about 2 years, so I know how to celebrate without actually being together;))

-Watch a movie together online.
    -Cook dinner "together" via skype then eat on skype together. Also get all dressed up like you're going out.
    -Have a care basket sent to his hotel room (fruits, wine, cheeses, etc) Have a similar thing at your house and enjoy it "together" via skype
    -Write him a love letter and stick it in his suitcase. He's not allowed to open it until your anniversary night. Or if he's already gone, read him your letter via skype
    -Make a video for him telling him how much you love him and hinting to what he'll be getting once he gets home. Send it to his email.
    -Make a slideshow of all the pictures you've taken throughout the years and send it to him

And that's what I can think of for now... Have fun!:)

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2012

#26 is coming up for us on Thursday. I'll spend the day at my grad class and then go home and do laundry in prep for going on family vacation on Saturday.
    We don't really celebrate usually. We usually go out to dinner or something but since we're leaving Saturday, I probably won't want to spend the money. He treats me special all the time, but it's kind of nice to commemorate the day.
    Maybe a Pandora bead?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 23, 2012

Tennis Player, you're one year behind me and Rockhubby, since our 6th is on Sunday. On our first and fifth anniversaries, we wound up white-water rafting. It made dinner later a challenge since we had trouble moving our arms enough to lift food to our mouths. Tonight is dinner and a show at my favorite venue. Tomorrow we'll probably go for a nice bike ride and maybe have a picnic. As long as we're experiencing something together, I'm happy.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

Depends on the year. A week from Sunday it'll be 23 years. One year hubby started a new job that day. For a while we were always going on vacation the week of our anniversary, so nothing extra. The last 9 years we haven't done much. We spend a week in Florida at the end of July, so we'd rather save our money & spend it then.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2012

We don't really do anything. The past 2 anniversaries we have been apart since he is in the military so we've just called each other up. Last year, we did go to Europe for 11 days that we considered our anniversary trip since it happened close to the date. This year will be number 10. I don't know if we'll do something together or not since we'll be about 8 hours apart.

12. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 23, 2012

Our 15th was Thursday. I worked at school all day and DH did his normal things at home. I made tacos for dinner and we toasted each other with rolled up tortillas.

We're not big on obligatory gifts either. DH spoils me all the time just because he wants to, not because he feels like he has to. I do the same with him. Being married for 15 years is just part of us being together for 36 years. We celebrate that every day just by being together.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 23, 2012

I won't be married this time next week, but I was married for 12 years. We never did gifts or cards on our anniversary. We did usually go out to eat somewhere, and that's it. Our anniversary is during the school year, so it's harder to do anything. For our 5th and 10th anniversary we went on a vacation during the summer.

We didn't do birthday presents or Christmas presents either.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

Thanks for the replies...

He comes home tomorrow so I have some time to think of things...I just thought of finding our wedding videos hopefully he will be excited to watch them too since it's been awhile since we saw them! I can make a dessert here too. For dinner, I'm going to probably make something since he will have a long day of traveling but when we celebrate I love Claim Jumpers!!

15. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 23, 2012

I spent about a month putting together a scrapbook for him. He loved it, and he doesn't like sappy things! Compared to other gifts, it was relatively cheap and definitely more meaningful than another piece of jewelry, flowers, etc. We aren't married legally, but basically are all but married. We don't celebrate anything now, but our finances have been rough the past year, so it will go back to normal soon. I really enjoy day trips and short getaways as celebrations! I got one of the most popular gifts for Christmas last year-a dog! I wasn't thrilled about it, but I love him! I would love him anyway, of course, but he is particularly special because the bf took the time to find the dog I had casually talked about wanting in the future. As long as the gift/gesture shows how caring you are, you can't go wrong :)

16. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 23, 2012

It will be 10 years in July. We usually get a sitter (overnight if we're really lucky) and just do dinner & a movie. I have a surprise in the works this year, since it is more note-worthy, IMO. I bought hubby a new wedding band today to give as my gift to him. He lost his several years ago, we don't talk about it but it does bother me sometimes to see that finger bare. I'm also trying to get reservations for a really cool medieval castle that's not too far away. We've talked about going there before so I thought it would be a neat surprise. Rooms are $100 + a night so I never considered it before. I'm excited. Have no idea at all if he will do something for me. He has done simple jewelry before, other times just a bouquet.

17. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 24, 2012

We spend the day together. For the past two years we have gone to a large plant nursery to pick out plants for our yard/garden. We then come home and plant them together.

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 24, 2012

We've never been big anniversay celebrators. Before DS came along, we'd usually got to dinner and rent a DVD. Now that we have DS, we usually just get take-out and exchange cards. Fine by the both of us. We both deal with people all the time. Home is much more relaxing than "going out" for us. :)

Beth

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2012

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, TENNISPLAYER!!! Hope the two of you are having a marvelous time of it.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2012

We'll be married 3 years in August, but we've been together for 9 years altogether. We try to save money on gifts since I don't get paid in the summer, so we do a nice dinner together. :)

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 25, 2012

We usually go out to dinner, or buy crab legs and make them at home. Since our anniversary is usually during Lent, we can afford crab legs!!
    We are not big on exchanging gifts-only at Christmas.

22. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

We usually do a nice dinner. Our anniversary occurs during my back to school time; so I'm usually in gearing up for school and not in a celebrating mood. (Our civil ceremony-we were married overseas is Aug. 2 and our church ceremony is Aug. 13. We go back to school the second week of Aug.) Next year is our 25th anniversary, we're going to Disney World to celebrate. Although our anniversary is in Aug., we're going to celebrate in July :love:

23. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 26, 2012

I am excited...
    I purchased a wedding band and I was able to reserve the Queen Victoria room at the castle I wanted to stay at. We'll be staying the evening before our anniversary. Now on to dinner reservations...

Anniversary countdown: 13 days (12 until the getaway...) :D

24. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 26, 2012

Sounds great! Have fun!!

25. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 27, 2012

For our 5 year, my hubby decided we would go hiking and we got lost...needless to say it was memorable. 10 years was a weekend get away, other than that we usually just go out to dinner and a movie if we can get a sitter.