for the first time in my 6 year career i cried...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrs_u, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

...just to sum it up because i really dont feel like going into detail (and only the 2nd week of school)5/6 split, LOUD students, most boys in gangs and fight or argue, 4 suffer from BD, girls are mouthy and disrespectful...

...i am in my 6th year of teaching but at a new school, i do not lack classroom management because i taught at a school with almost identical demographics (30% homelessness) and the class ran pretty much very smoothly...(i loved it there) the administration acts like they don't care, VP told me herself "YOU HAVE A CLASS FULL OF PUNKS"

can someone who has gone through this PLEASE offer some words of wisdom and/or encouragement? i have cried almost every day and nothing seems to get better. :(

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 3, 2008

I have substituted in some "tough" schools and what I've heard from others is to find things to like about every student. Once you focus on their good traits, you'll feel better. Maybe do some community bonding activities to make them feel that they are a part of the class and have to work together to achieve the goal. Something like that may help you. You're in a tough position, so take the time every night to do something relaxing or that you can look forward to so you're ready to face another day. Take care.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 3, 2008

i'm sorry you are going through this. Get to know them, establish a relationship. Find out what they are into and use that to your advantage. I know its hard, I had a class like that too only it was 1/3 ESL, 1/3 kids with IEP's, and 1/3 hooligans considered unteachable.

5. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

many thoughts your way...we had the exact same situation last year at my school...5th grade class full of BD, administration did the exact opposite of what they should have....it totally sucks when you have no support- i would tell your admin that if they don't support you, you can just call 911 if a fight gets out of control.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 3, 2008

Good luck, it is hard. I had a couple of these classes. I always thought of the good kids and that is why I got up in the morning and came to school. Last year I just kept saying today is a new day. Forget about work and the kids when you leave school.
    I changed grade levels this year and I am so much happier.

Hang in there!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2008

:hugs: I agree with what everyone else has already stated.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 3, 2008

Oh, I am praying for you. I left a school like that last year in Feb-I couldn't take it any more. The lack of admin. support is the worst-if you have just one person on your side, it makes it so much easier to get through. Keep trying, and find that one person in the school that can support you. Any way you can go back to your old school next year?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2008

Unfortunately, I can relate, at least to the crying part. I cried last week in front of my worst bunch of students. :( It was totally embarrassing, but it is what it is and I need to get over it. The next time I saw that bunch of kids (yesterday), I totally laid down the law and seemed to scare the crap out of them. We'll see if they believed that I am serious--I see them tomorrow and I swear to holy hell if they so much as look at me funny, they're out. I'm D-O-N-E giving them second chances.

Your class will get into gear, I'm sure of it. What plan do you have going into tomorrow and the rest of the week? Do you have a "time-out buddy" to whom you can send the worst offenders when they act up? Is administration at all supportive? Have you called home? It sounds like you're a great teacher and know what you're doing...I'm just throwing out all the basic ideas I can think of.

10. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

Not that this helps...but I think it's pretty good you haven't cried until now. I'm in my 4th year teaching and I can't even count how many times I've cried...
    My heart goes out to you. Teaching a split on top of everything else would be really tough. I agree that some bonding activities would be great. Before you can even tap into academics, the behaviors have got to stop and you've got to bond (and they have to bond with each other.) Is there any way you can connect with them or maybe share a little about yourself to them so they see you as a person as well as a teacher? I dunno...???

11. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

thank you so very much for your kind words - they have really helped...:love:

just an update:today a fight broke out and a child ended up with stitches. another staff member came up to me and suggested i find out why all the behavior problems ended up in my classroom. apparently he knows the other teachers had a meeting and CHANGED THE ROSTER before school started! :mad: how could they be so mean and selfish? again i cried on my way home, and hate getting up in the morning...i cannot do this.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2008

mrs_u-If the other teachers did change the roster, then you need to address this issue with the administration. There is no way these teachers should be allowed to do this.

13. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 5, 2008

I can empathize a bit... I have 30 first graders who had NO classroom management last year... All the specials teachers cringe when they realize my kids are coming. We just started on Tuesday, and behavior is improving a bit, but I'm finding I have to redirect over and over and over...