For the first time, I came really close to tears today.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 14, 2009

I have a self-contained room with four kids.

FOUR KIDS. That's it. You'd think it would be a breeze. However, I have two well-behaved kids, and two that aren't so great.

So after lunch, all my kids have to do is come in, sit down in their seat, and listen to me read a story. Then we do a reading comp game as a group.

While reading comp is important, it's also a way that I can give my aide a lunch break. You think it would be easy, right?

Wrong.

For some reason my two behavior kiddos seem to melt down during this period. I can't figure it out. I try to pick really interesting books - still they melt. I do really interesting reading comp exercises/games - still they melt. I get lots of comments like, "I'm BORED" or "CAn I go to the bathroom? I'm TIRED."

Today I just about lost it.

I'm considering trashing read aloud. But then on the flip side, I'm like, "WAIT A MINUTE. WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?" And I do have two kiddos that do really well with it.

I can't decide wether to keep fighting them on it, or just give in and come up with a plan B.

Any advice is appreciated.

3. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Sep 14, 2009

Is there something going on at lunch that could be setting them off? Could you do read aloud at a different time? Maybe reverse it and do the game first and then settle down with the book afterwards? Just a few thoughts...I wish you luck!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2009

By meltdown, do you mean they are crying/throwing a fit?

Can you use some kind of positive reinforcement behavior mod system with them?

Or you could always try the 'Zen mantra' strategy: I currently have a 'regular ed' kid in my 'regular ed' classroom who has definite work avoidance issues. I just keep calmly repeating in a mantra-like tone-"I'm sorry, you've been to the bathroom 3 times- now it's time to work", "I understand the room is warm, I've opened a window, now it's time to work", "Thanks for asking about lunchtime, now it's time to work", ....She eventuallly gets to work, and I keep on going with my plan with the rest of my class.:p

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2009

Does your class go out for recess after they eat lunch?

6. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 14, 2009

Have you tried having them pick the books or do the read aloud themselves?

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2009

How about a gross motor activity after lunch, then the read aloud? I know my kids are full of it after lunch. We go into the courtyard and bounce basketballs for five to ten mins. The kids get their "sillies" out. I know when we are at a table after lunch, they have a hard time sitting. That's the only bright side about having the 1:15 lunch period, the kids get most of their work done in the morning. There's only one period after our crazy late lunch.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2009

My class has phys. ed. after lunch. They then have DEAR Time (independent silent reading) for 20 to 30 minutes (they love this time) and then I read them a story. I let them take turns chosing the book that I read.

Two years ago, I let each student chose a book that they read during DEAR Time and then they got to share something they liked about their book or they read a page or two of it to the class.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 15, 2009

Hmm.. Lots of good ideas here. I like the idea of the "You've been to the bathroom three times today, now it's time to work" mantra. :D Gonna have to start doing that one.

I also agree that coming in from recess is probably what's creating the melts. And by melts, I mean constant lesson disruption and disrespect, and failure to chill out. Most of the time my behavior kiddo gets sent to "the buddy room" at this time (equiv to the office) because he can't calm himself down and chill out while I read.

My kids get ten minutes to eat and 20 mins on the playground. Maybe I should give them 10 additional minutes of free choice time when they get back so they can get used to being back in the room. Although I'm wondering how I would transition them back to sitting/working after that too.

Then part of me is like, "Wait a minute. These kids should be able to come in and sit down for 20 mins." And am I giving in too soon?

I like the idea of them taking turns picking out a book. And I have a daily classroom manager that could do this. Although I really like being able to plan activities around particular books... And there's only so many times I can read "No, David!" lol