For Tea Lovers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StudentTeach, May 3, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 3, 2011

I've always been a tea drinker, but recently I've been getting into buying loose teas and drinking it for health benefits. What are your favorite teas? Do you drink one for anything in particular? (sleep, weight, etc).

I've gotten into the Pu-erh tea which tastes very nice and is supposed to have a whole host of benefits and also Mate to replace coffee in the morning since it's 100% caffeine.

So, what are you drinking?

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 3, 2011

I love Chai tea but I don't have it that often to keep it special so I don't get tired of it. I like Big Train's Vanilla Chai at a coffee place that makes it or homemade Chai tea with all separate ingredients.

I also have Egyptian Licorice (sweet and spicy). I think it's okay, I mainly drink it for the licorice benefits- helps adrenal glands if you're under a lot of stress. I need to go buy some more teas!

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 3, 2011

I like Gen Mai Cha - a green tea with brown rice; Orange Rooibos; Earl Grey; and peppermint. Oh, and the specialty blend at the loose tea shop - white, green, and rooibos with pansies.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

I like the basic Orange Pekoe-- give me a Lipton or Tetley tea bag and I'm happy as a clam.

6. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 3, 2011

I second the Orange Pekoe recommendation. I'm more of a black tea kind of gal myself. Here is a link to Twinings' website with a list of their loose teas: http://www.twiningsusashop.com/loose-tea.html Their orange pekoe is wonderful.

My FAVORITE Earl Grey: Taylors of Harrogate. http://www.englishteastore.com/eagrtea44oz.html It's so light and lemony. The plain ole teabags are great, too, but they do sell a loose tea version.

I also LOVE oolong tea. If you can get your hand on a tin of oolong, you'll be set! I have a hard time finding loose oolong tea, though. It's usually in teabags.

Also: check your local TJ Maxx or whatever discount store you have nearby. I've found a lot of great loose teas for a deep discount there.

I drink a lot of tea because I simply like the taste, and I like the routine of making a cup of tea. My husband and I love to make a teapot of tea and sip out of little cups with saucers (he bought me a gorgeous set of red cups and saucers when we were dating).

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 3, 2011

I'm with the black tea drinkers; I usually start the day with Lipton. I also like a good English or Irish breakfast, and once in a while I'll have a cup of Constant Comment. If it's late, I'll opt for some Sleepytime, which is mostly camomile.

When I was in London a few years ago, Harrod's was introducing a house blend, and I sampled some--it was delicious, but I was too cheap to buy some!

8. MathEducator

MathEducator Rookie

May 3, 2011

I have an entire drawer in my kitchen for tea bags. I absolutely love love love tea. I like mostly black teas, Vanilla Chi, Chinese restaurant tea, Vanilla Caramel, Irish Breakfast, Honey Green, Chi Green tea, Sweet Coconut Thai.... I like both hot and iced tea. I love raspberry iced tea, sweet tea, blueberry oolong, green tea mandarin orange, green tea pomegranate and so on and so on.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2011

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

I'm not a fan of flavoured teas--give me a nice cup of strong Earl Grey, English or Irish Breakfast with a little milk and I'm in heaven.

TG--I'll have to check out that link.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 4, 2011

Tea? I have never been a tea drinker (or coffee)
    I just can't get into it, I guess, is it an acquired taste and maybe I didn't give it a chance

Just what is the taste like to you?
    I mean can you equate it to any other beverage?

12. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 4, 2011

If I need a cup of hot tea, I like orange spice and Earl Gray. I also love Lady Gray tea. It is made by Twinnings and has more bergamont in it than earl Gray and is a little fruiter. I also love Tazo's Passion tea, and Stash's Ruby Mist. I think I have a thing for rosehips!