For Students' Birthdays??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by scholarteacher, Jun 4, 2009.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

I'm wondering what you all do--if anything--for your students' birthdays. In the past, I've done cards with stickers in them, and one year in 5th grade, I gave a card with a $1.00 gold coin in it. The kids really liked that! But now, in Kindergarten, I'm stuck again. These kids are not affluent at all and would probably spend a $1 coin. They do other things to get stickers and treats. So this year I've just had the class sing Happy Birthday to them. Any ideas?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

I give my kids a book (I stock up on the scholastic $1 books) and a birthday pencil. They also get to wear a crown and we sing happy birthday.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

Our local pizza hut donated free pizza coupons one year-I gave that with a card and we sung to them as a class. Could you get some certificates like that, maybe?

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 4, 2009

I do a book, a pencil, a bookmark, a lollipop and a crown. I make them all ahead of time in the summer, so they are all ready for the year. I wrap them in a celephane bag from the dollar store.

6. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

donuts

I buy them a sprinkles donut from Dunkin Donuts and they get a certificate for a free prize from the prize basket at a time of their choosing. A colleague of mine stops at the bakery and gets them a cupcake.

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 4, 2009

They get to wear the birthday badge-like our ID badge, plus I give them a cute certificate. I love the doughnut idea, but I could never keep up with it. I may have to have some type of snack that I could keep on hand. Little Debbie cakes, maybe. Just thinking out loud.

8. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

I like the Little Debbies idea!!
    I might try that next year.

I always give them a birthday crown, certificate, pencils, and then gift bag with some candy, tiny can of playdough, and dollar store trinkets such as matchbox type cars for boys, and hair clips for girls.

9. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 4, 2009

You guys are so nice. The kids and I sing to them and they graph their birthday on our chart at calendar. Whoop dee doo, right? :) I'm going to try to plan gifts ahead this year like mom2ohc.

10. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

I was just looking at the Smile Makers catalog and they have birthday sashes that I think I might get for next year. They are 12 for $12. I think that's a neat idea and some of my kids who wouldn't be caught dead in a crown would probably like them.

11. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 5, 2009

My first year I gave them each a book. The last couple of years I've just let them visit the treasure box. It seemed like a headache to get things ready ahead of time.

I think this year I should get enough "birthday kits" ready ahead of time and that way I wouldn't have to worry about it. I LOVE my birthday and I want my kids to have as much fun as I do on mine!

Thanks for the tips!

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

I love these, including the $1 book thing! Thanks very much, comrades! :)

13. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

Birthday Books

I also give birthday crowns. I had birthday postcards printed for free (plus postage) from Vista Print. I give books when I can find good deals, depending on the number of students I have to buy for (33 this year with 2 sessions).

I have my K students draw a picture in a gift box outline entitled, "If I could, I would give you this for a gift. From your friend ______." The birthday child gets to color a cake on the cover sheet with the title: "Happy Birthday (name) from Mrs. K and your kindergarten classmates." The birthday child selects a colored large construction paper which gets folded for the cover of the book. We ask the birthday child what his/her favorite colors are so we can use them in the drawings. We also talk about thinking about the birthday child's interests. Each picture is labeled by the child or teacher. I have met students that still have their birthday books after several years.:wub:

We will be celebrating each summer birthday, one per day close to the end of the school year.:)

14. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

When I taught first grade, I used an idea I saw in the Montessori school I subbed in.

For their birthday, students had a special assignment to make a poster/timeline of their life. They would put a photo or draw a picture for each year of their life, with a caption under it. They would get to decorate it however they wanted.

Parents were encouraged to be involved in making the poster, and were invited to come to the classroom and present the poster to the kids. I don't have to tell you how special and exciting this was for the birthday student, and it takes no effort or money on the part of the teacher.

Oh, and the class would make a circle with a star lamp in the middle ("the sun") and the student would walk around it however many years old they were, to show how many times they had orbited around the sun. We would put the months of the year around the sun before we started (kind of like spokes on a wheel), and sing the months of the year to reinforce them.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2009

I also had Vistaprint free Birthday Cards made up...and a book choosing from the birthday box - lots of $1 books from Scholastic are in the birthday box.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 11, 2009

Before school starts I scour WalMart for those Jumbo Activity books. They cost about 1.00. I buy enough for my class plus a few extra. On their birthdays, when they get to school they have the book, a card, and a mini candy bar on their desks. I like to have everything for everyone ready at the same time so no one gets left out. The kids LOVE the activity books and they get to eat the candy first thing in the morning - the only time I let them eat any candy at school!

17. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

At the beginning of the year I make 10 "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!" buttons (which we can make for free at our district resource center). Each child gets a button to wear and a Birthday pencil (4/$1). We also sing "Happy Birthday" to them at calendar time. They love that.

Great topic, by the way. I like the "pass for free treasure box item" idea!