For social studies what masters should I get

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Vtimmy13, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Vtimmy13

Vtimmy13 Guest

Oct 20, 2017

Hi everybody I'm a recent undergrad graduate of SUNY Oswego, i majored in both adolescent education of social studies 7-12 and I got my second major in History (not needed but I had extra credits I needed to fill). So now I wonder for my masters what would be the best choice for masters. Another education major (if so which one) or just go for History.. personally I love history and would love to get my masters in it opening up the possibility of working at the college level. But would getting another education degree make me more marketable and likely to get a job. If possible I would REALLY like to avoid student teaching again. Did it once and it was alot to deal with another teacher.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Oct 20, 2017

Social studies is one of the hardest subjects to get a job in. If you want something to make you marketable as a teacher, I’d say go for a different subject like math or science that will increase your chances of finding a job.
    Although I will also say that having a masters can make it harder to get a job as you would be more expensive to hire. Most districts as far as I know would prefer that you work on your masters after you get hired.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2017

If you are looking to make yourself more marketable, I could recommend either SPED or ESL. You won't do another round of student teaching, or I should say that in NJ you wouldn't do more student teaching. If you want to be more marketable and you are math inclined, with credits to back it up, math could be a way into the schools. If your heart is set on history, well, good luck with that. I don't think it will help you in your K-12 job search, but I don't know about possible college teaching. I would suggest more research on your part about the actual likelihood of that kind of job developing.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 20, 2017

I don't know if you're planning on staying in NY but ESL helps immensely, especially if you're planning on teach in an urban district. I worked in Syracuse for a few years and they were desperate for ESL-certified teachers. Not sure if they still do it, but for a while they were even paying for teachers to go through an accelerated program which, I think, was actually through SUNY Oswego now that I think about it. Even in a gen ed classroom, it's a HUGE plus. I used to tell people not to go into special education unless they really saw themselves working in the field, but inclusion/co-teaching is so popular these days that it would probably be considered pretty beneficial too. In NY, getting certified in SPED will require a student teaching placement, however. A friend just completed his hours during summer school last year. Not sure what the requirements for ESL certification entail.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2017

In NJ, if you have done a practicum once, for ESL there is no additional practicum
    required. What a difference a state makes. Same thing for a TOSD certificate.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 22, 2017

I second ESL. SPED is not a golden ticket anymore and can lead to jobs you wouldn’t really want.