For PA Teachers: When to start Grad School?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Johnjoel, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Aug 22, 2010

Hey everyone - I'm a teacher in PA and was wondering when most teachers in PA start their grad programs. I just taught my first year, and applied to a School Admin. program that may not let me start until this summer. I'm almost positive us Pennsylvanians have 6 years to get 24 post-bachelor credits before our certificate expires. I'd like to start sooner rather than later, but it looks like I might not have a choice. Is starting the summer of your second year pushing it to get those 24 credits on time?

Thanks!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 22, 2010

I'm not in PA, but in MA we have to obtain a masters degree within 5 years of teaching. I started my M.Ed. program the summer after my first year and will be done with all 30 credits in December of my 4th year. I took one class every fall, one every spring, and two every summer (except for the first summer) and it'll have taken me 2.5 years to complete my degree.

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I believe it is within 5 years now. I was wondering the same thing so I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 22, 2010

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

Some professional development credits count too, right?

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

I just started my grad program and I teach in PA. I just finished 1.5 years of service. In PA you can't start an administrative certification until after 5 years of service, so I would check with the program you're in. I plan to just take 24 ed courses and then enter the admin cert program.

8. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Aug 22, 2010

Thanks, MsMar! That link was helpful.

Bumble, I think you are right about that, but I think you can start grad courses for Admin. after 2 years.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 22, 2010

Elocin, I'm not sure how the Act 48 hours count in regards to level II certs. From the website it seems it has to be post-grad, either undergraduate level or graduate level courses, but it doesn't seem like plain old professional development stuff counts.

I actually got my teacher certification through a post-baccalaureate program (have a BA in a non-education field) so I need to see if they count at all. I'm planning on getting a graduate degree anyway, but it would be good to know if my courses count or not.

10. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

In PA, as long as your district submits as Act 48, you will get credit, ie: I attended a substituting seminar last year and got 1.5 hours towards act 48. You need to have 5 years before you can start an admin program, you can however start you gen ed masters credits and continue the MA after 5. The PA dept of ed offers free act 48 credits on their website, they are great classes and can be done at home...not sure if this helps

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

Remember act 48 and your Level II licensure credits are different.

It took me 3 years to get my Masters.

12. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

I got my M.Ed and my cert together - my undergrad's just in English. The credits from my Master's counted for my Level 2 cert, even though I didn't have my Level 1 when I got them. It's 24 post-baccalaureate credits, either as part of a Master's or not.

Some PD sessions will offer the option of earning grad credits instead of Act 48. They will usually say this at the beginning and it will usually cost something; sometimes you also have to do some extra work. It can be a good deal - I did a program through my school district and got 3 credits for $300, which is about what I would have paid at my community college. You just have to keep good track of your transcripts and stuff, as it's not always the same institution offering the credit.