For Newbies: "Why didn't anyone tell me that..."

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

^^ I echo and agree 100% with each and every FABULOUS suggestions here! Also...

...give YOURSELF a fresh start every day! :) You may not leave every day feeling like you "made a difference," but the days you do will make up triple time for those days you wonder why they "didn't get it!"

...DON'T compare yourself with the classroom decor/amazing theme/brilliant borders of the teacher down the hall. In fact, my primary age kids love, use, and point out classroom posters that we make together rather than ones I purchase. Your dedication, commitment, and love for your job shines through your enthusiasm when you teach your lessons -- NOT through the $240.00 receipt from the teacher store.:lol:

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2012

Take time to reflect on your work and its results at least once a week. You may have been told to do this in student teaching and thought it was a drag, but I still go back to the journals from those weeks to see where my teaching style started. These days, I sit down with my team and we do a documented group reflection that often results in much-needed tweaks to the curriculum.

3. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

Always have an "extension activity" in mind in case your lesson/assignment does not take as long as you thought it would...

Ask to see the boo-boo before actually handing over one of your precious bandaids!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

Speaking of, peppermints can be a miracle cure for even the worst ailments...but be careful with this one, you don't want a desk full of vomit either...

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2012

Or a kid you didn't realize is diabetic having a mint with sugar in it.

6. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 11, 2012

This one is so true!!!! I learned the hard way this past year!!! ;)

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012

Put a stretchy book cover on your teacher's editions - it makes them easy to ID and your students won't accidentally or "accidentally" end up with your book. You will probably have to get the jumbo size ones though.

If you ARE having a bad day or just don't feel well, tell the kids. There have been a few exceptions of classes that would take advantage, but the majority of the time, if I say "guys, I really don't feel well today. Can we be cooperative and work quietly on XYZ please?" they will be considerate and work quietly.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012

I am cleaning out my closet tomorrow so I think I will grab something that I would otherwise get rid of as an emergency outfit.