?? for kindergarten teachers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Lumi, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Aug 8, 2004

In an ideal world, what are the skills that preschoolers need to know in order to best be prepared for kindergarten? I teach five year olds and spend the year with the goal of preparing them for kindergarten as best as I can. I wondered about this a lot last year and I'd like some pointers to keep in mind for this year. I want to try to reinforce as much as I can this year and not feel like I might be missing some things they need to know. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks mucho!!

3. MJH

MJH Companion

Aug 8, 2004

Kindergarten

I teach in an inner city school so my expectations may be different.

I would love for my k's to be able to sit still for 15 minutes while I read a story or do a short lesson. Plus knowing the alphabet, numbers 0-10, colors, shapes, how to write their first name, acceptable social skills, how to line up and how to actually use the restroom. Yes, every year I have several students who don't seem to know how to use a restroom.

It would be nice if they are introduced to beginning sounds and basic sights words. They don't need master these skills but have them introduced so there is a frame of reference for them to build upon.

The most important skill for my students would be vocabulary. Work on increasing their vocabulary, research states that students with the background that I teach only have a 500 word vocabulary bank to refer upon :( . The average 5 year old from a middle class family has a vocabulary bank of around 1200 words. Do a lot of vocabulary buidling activites with stories to help increase their bank.

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 9, 2004

I think you are right on target with those ideas. Just try to exposure your pre-k kids to as much as you can. Work on fine motor skills--writing, scissors.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 9, 2004

yeah, I've had teachers say they liked it that I taught my preschool SPE students to string beads. I lot of new K students that have never been in a program couldn't strings beads or stuff like that. My Pre-S SPE students had a little heads up on that one! :)

Letter sounds is a REAL important thing. I know with the DIBELS test, letter sound is a BIGGY... they show pictures and the students are asked "which picture starts with the ______ sound?" or something like that.

Lori