For Future Reference...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 22, 2011

So that I can hopefully land a job soon (if I don't hear back on Monday), I was hoping that people could maybe give me some advice on how to improve and seal the deal.

I have had 14 interviews since April. Of those 14, 4 of them have been follow up interviews, where it has been narrowed down to between 2 and 6 applicants. Since I didn't hear from that interview that I had today, I'm afraid that I have once again managed to let a job slip through my fingers. My resume and cover letter seem to be working since I've had so many interviews and have 3 more already scheduled. I know that I must be doing something right to have had 4 follow ups, but why can't I seem to land a job offer? I have done so many interviews in the last 2 years that I am no longer nervous and have great answers for almost every question. I know that we have talked about "the right fit" on the boards before, but that's not something I can really control. What can I DO? I'm so tired of crossing fingers and things are just NOT working. Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 22, 2011

Is it possible that since you've had so many interviews your answers are starting to sound more rehearsed? It may be that they think you're telling them what they want to hear (using all the right buzz words and such) instead of just talking about how you really feel.

4. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I don't think so because I try to stay away from the buzz words and include examples and anecdotes.

I also think that for at least 1 job, my masters may have been a liability. It was between 1 other candidate and myself and she got it. That choice saved the district (which laid off teacher this year) over $2000 between the additional step and my masters...

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 22, 2011

Sadly, I think that's true in a lot of places. It's really unfortunate!

6. NYTONJ

NYTONJ Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

I think that this has happened to me numerous times. People always say "oh, but it is only $x difference" but we are talking about districts who have cut their principals' petty cash funds to save money. It stinks but I know this happens often.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

If you are making it to the final cut, you are doing something right. I think that final interview is a time to really exude positive energy and show a willingness to contribute to the system and make the P or Super feel like you are the one. And to be genuine, and someone they feel like they can work with. I honestly can't answer why you are not getting selected..it is unknowable from my vantage point. Have you ever been able to inquire as to why you weren't chosen? I'm sure the degree can play a role as finances are so tight. Sooner or later, I am sure you will find something, though! Have you expanded your search?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

I'm not sure the degree is the culprit-- they see your resume before they call you in for the interview. If they weren't willing to pay for a Masters you wouldn't even make it to the interview. No administrator has the time or the reason, particularly with the number of applications they've received this year, to waste with a teacher who is too expensive.

Best wishes as you continue your search.

9. labar

labar Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

Do you use a portfolio with examples of lesson plans, past teaching evaluations, syllabi, and other professional work examples (Professional Growth Plans, etc...)???? Personally I always gave the principals digital copies of my portfolio for them to go back and look at if they desired. During an interview they really don't have time to look at it in any sort of detail. I was hired for my position this past Monday.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 23, 2011

Can you do a mock interview with a friend? Give your friend a list of the questions that you are commonly asked at an interview. Dress like you would for an interview, and go through the whole process. Maybe the friend can see something that you're doing that is turning off the interviewers. It would be even better if you could videotape the whole process and watch it back yourself. It's surprising the little tics that we don't notice, like saying "um" or "you know" too many times or like playing with your hair or looking down too much.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 23, 2011

I agree. I was worried about my Master's being an issue for future employers. I met with the Superintendent in my town who was a former teacher & asked him this same question. He said it was crazy to even ask him that question, haha

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

A masters is a PLUS in my district. That would never be considered as a minus and we would consider the masters as an edge... But that is my district.

13. kiwi193

kiwi193 Rookie

Jul 24, 2011

I'm not sure how much help I am going to be. So far, I have had interviews with four different schools. Two of the jobs were full time positions and two were maternity leaves. I've been applying for jobs since May, so I feel like 4 is pretty good considering that:

1. I just finished student teaching, so I don't have much experience.
    2. The economic situation

Anyway, of those four schools, I was asked back for a follow- up interview at 2. Both of those times, I knew I was going to be asked back. I just had such a great connection with the people who I interviewed with. I gave PLENTY of examples during the questioning and there was even some humor. I felt like the interviews were more like conversations. I didn't get hired by the first school and I'm still waiting for a decision about my last follow up interview (last Monday). I am sort of in the same situation, but all I can say is that there are definitely other people who interview just as well as we do and may have the same qualifications. When it comes down to making a decision, both people may be qualified, but there could be just one little thing that sways the committee to hire to person who they did. I don't think it has anything to do with the way you are answering questions. You are probably great. I just think, when it comes down to two people, it can go either way.

The only advice I can give you is to be passionate and enthusiastic about the position you're interviewing for and also to send thank you cards. Good luck...your time will come and hopefully it will be tomorrow!!

14. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 24, 2011

I also feel as though having a masters degree is not what is hindering you. Like Alice said, I don't feel that administrators would waste their time. If you are landing so many interviews your resume must be awesome. You also must interview well or you would not make it through to the next rounds. In those final rounds....let your personality shine!!! Principals want to see that you can work with others, have a sense of humor, be a part of a team, etc. Smile, have fun, and let them know you are the perfect fit for their school.

15. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

On those second interviews, I would ask the personality of their school. Like, are the parents involved? not involved? how much homework is a student expected to do nightly? Are teachers suppose to run clubs?, etc. Add your answers that mesh with their school personality.