For Dog Owners Out There...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StudentTeach, Aug 14, 2012.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

What do you do with your dog/s during the day while you're at school? What's the routine? Do you walk them before work? Have a dog sitter? Doggie daycare? Alone all day? I'm trying to decide a schedule for my new addition. Over the summer I was in grad school and sometimes he was home for over 9 hours and did okay, but I'd like him to get out while I'm not home. Any suggestions? (P.S. -- I'm think cost-effective solutions!) Thanks! :cool:

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 14, 2012

We have a dog door, so our dogs can get into the backyard, or the laundry room (which is really the dog room, and happens to have the washer and dryer.) They have toys in there and dog beds and water, and can come and go in the backyard as they want. We feed them once a day, a certain diet, per vet instructions, so we don't leave food out for them.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2012

Mine stays in the yard all day. He and the neighbor's dog are buddies. They keep each other entertained.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

I have a little yard where my puppy stays outside during the day. I always walk her to a park for about 10 or 15 minutes before I leave. Then when I get home, if it's not raining, I take her on a good 60-90 minute walk. Problem is it's rainy season now so it's pouring just about every day. Poor puppy isn't going to get a good walk for a couple months now:( Well some days aren't rainy!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

We feed ours and let her out before Peter leaves, then the sitter lets her out again before 8 am.

Then she's on her own until I get home at about 4:15. She normally sleeps under my bed-- she's about 16 pounds.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

We feed and let him out first thing in the morning. He then stays inside until we come home. When it cools down, we'll walk him around the neighborhood.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

I have a dog walker that comes and walks her around noon every day. We love her! She seems to adore her almost as much as I do-I like that my baby gets a break and gets some attention.

9. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

If you don't mind me asking, how much is your dog sitter, or the general price? It's about 18 around here, and that adds up quick for every day!

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

Our dog goes in the crate in the morning when dh leaves for work at 8 and I let her out at 3:15 when I get home. She goes out in the morning and I take her out again in the afternoon. It works for us and she loves her crate, so it's all good.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

It's $15 and yes it adds up. But those days I get stuck at work for awhile I used to be driving home adding up in my head how many hours she'd been alone and it made me sad. So it's worth it to me. I know it's not for everyone. ;)

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

We leave at 7.
    My retired neighbor takes him for an hour long walk about 9:00.
    She likes to have him along.
    We buy her small appreciation gifts here and there.
    My husband is home by 3:00.

If for some reason we cannot walk him, which is rare, my husband comes home at lunch to let him out or I could ask my MIL or friend.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2012

Some days we're all gone by 7:30a.m. First one home depends on dd's schedule. . . some days it's as late as 3p.m. Usually, when she's late like 3p.m. she goes in late. The dog just waits until we get home.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2012

Yes, it does take a little figuring out, that's for sure! When I got my (now 15 lb.) dog when he was a puppy, I had still been living w/ my parents, so my dog was not totally alone very often. Back then, I had him sectioned off in the den. My BF built a good-sized bathroom box made of something called panel wood/boarding (1/4" inch wood) that we kept in the garage to prevent having to actually take him out a few times a day. But, he is walked when I have the time.

I moved the beginning of June where I live alone now, so I had most of the summer to get my dog used to the new routine. I decreased from 2x to 1x a day feeding with little niblets ususally in the early evening. I'm in an apt & don't really want him free to roam the entire apt, so I have him sectioned off in the bathroom & laundry area w/ his comfy bed, blanket, water & toys, of course. I leave a fan on him on hot days. My BF built another bathroom box out on my patio/balcony & it doesn't smell like one may think. It's lined with a few pee pads & newspaper over that. His #2 is picked up & disposed of after each time he goes & the whole lining's changed often. Other people may not do this, but it's a great system for me!

I leave a pee pad in his sectioned off area in my actual bathroom, but he never used it, but it's there just in case. I'm gone from usually 7:15 - 2:45, sometimes an hour later.