For Catholics...funny

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Nov 21, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 21, 2009

AMEN: The only part of a prayer that everyone knows.

BULLETIN: Your receipt for attending Mass.

CHOIR: A group of people whose singing allows the rest of the Parish to lip-sync.

HOLY WATER: A liquid whose chemical formula is H2OLY.

HYMN: A song of praise usually sung in a key three octaves higher than that of the congregation's range.

RECESSIONAL HYMN: The last song at Mass often sung a little more quietly, since most of the people have already left.

INCENSE: Holy Smoke!

JESUITS: An order of priests known for their ability to find colleges with good basketball teams.

JONAH: The original 'Jaws' story.

JUSTICE: When kids have kids of their own.

KYRIE ELEISON: The only Greek words that most Catholics can recognize besides gyros and baklava. (for you non-Catholics it means Lord have mercy)

MAGI: The most famous trio to attend a baby shower.

MANGER: Where Mary gave birth to Jesus because Joseph wasn't covered by an HMO. (The Bible's way of showing us that holiday travel has always been rough.)

PEW: A medieval torture device still found in Catholic churches.

PROCESSION: The ceremonial formation at the beginning of Mass consisting of altar servers, the celebrant, and late parishioners looking for seats.

RECESSIONAL: The ceremonial procession at the conclusion of Mass led by parishioners trying to beat the crowd to the parking lot.

RELICS: People who have been going to Mass for so long, they actually know when to sit, kneel, and stand.

TEN COMMANDMENTS: The most important Top Ten list not given by David Letterman.

USHERS: The only people in the parish who don't know the seating capacity of a pew.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 21, 2009

That IS funny! Thanks for sharing. I particularly like the definitions of HYMN, INSENSE, and JESUITS.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 21, 2009

LOL, very funny. I totally agree with the definition of PEW and RELICS hahha

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2009

Too funny!!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 21, 2009

:lol:

7. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 21, 2009

:rofl:

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 21, 2009

I sent this to a favorite priest. He just replied back that it's hysterical. Just thought I'd let you know.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2009

I particularly liked the formula for holy water.

The ex, as a teenage agnostic, got a summer job in a Methodist church as the janitor. One day, since there was a baptism in the offing, he found this among his instructions for the day:

Fill font with holy water.​

This puzzled him deeply: which faucet dispensed the holy water? He finally swallowed his teenage pride and asked the secretary - who giggled, and then explained that it didn't matter, since the water gets blessed after it's in the font.

The ex used to tell this story on himself - but I've always sort of wondered whether it might have confirmed him in his agnosticism.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 22, 2009

lol...nice