For Business Teachers, how long did it take to find work?

Discussion in 'High School' started by js00196, Mar 12, 2014.

1. js00196

js00196 Rookie

Mar 12, 2014

Hi everyone,

For business teachers, how long did it take you after graduating to find a teaching position? I have an undergrad degree in business and am currently in school for my secondary teaching certificate.

I'm a bit worried though, because business teachers aren't in demand, and it's pretty much a big risk to for me to stay in the teaching program, if no jobs are available.

To go teach another subject, I'd have to go back and take an additional 30 credits in another subject matter. Due to the time and cost, I'm not really interested in doing that.

So, I'm just trying to get a feel for business / marketing / computer ed. teachers on how long it took for them to find work.

I will be graduating next fall, 2015, so I know I will already be faced with a few months before positions start opening up at that time.

Right now, there is only ONE opening for a new business teacher for the 14 - 15 school year in the area where I live. That's compared to many more jobs springing up for other subjects.

Thank you,

Joe

3. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 13, 2014

It really all depends on your district. I used to teach business skills. I feel like you might have to broaden you horizon to include basic computer classes for elementary or middle schools. Also, don't look at just public schools, look at charter schools, private schools, or teach business for an online school.

4. js00196

js00196 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if teaching basic computer classes would require a whole other teaching certificate. IL has what is called a Type 09 certificate for teaching at the secondary level. Elementary is considered Type 03, I think.

I think if I went to teach business online, it would require more of a graduate education in business, right? If that's the case, I don't think I would need this certificate that I am currently working towards. It seems like I chose a pretty small niche.

5. js00196

js00196 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

Does anyone else care to weigh in on this question? I would prefer business teacher opinions, of course, as that's what I am looking to teach; however, I am OPEN to anyone's opinion overall.

Thank you!

6. teachbusinessnj

teachbusinessnj New Member

Apr 26, 2014

Joe,

Here in NJ it is nearly impossible to gain a teaching position in business unless you know a BOE member or are related to someone of authority. There are people hired here with no training or even an inkling that they'd be a successful teacher. Most of the individuals hired aren't even appropriately hired according to our state standards.

My advice to you would be that if you want to teach high school business is to continue in your secondary education program. There will be individuals you'll be competed against in job interviews that will have no teaching experience/pedagogical knowledge. There may be a dozen opportunities a year & 100s of applicants for each one. Due to a lack of business education programs your resume will go towards the top of the pile having student taught in the content area. You will also be able to present yourself better in an interview as well being able to note specific pedagogical information.

There are three specific items offered by the National Business Educators Association I think you should check out:

1) National Standards for Business Education
    2) Business Teacher Education Curriculum Guide & Program Standards (previous edition of #1)
    3) Effective Methods of Teaching Business Education

It is very likely your instructors may use #3 in the classroom. You should also ask instructors if these copies are available prior to purchasing on your own.

If you're still skeptical of the job market consult with you adviser about pursuing mathematics licensure, as most business courses: finance, accounting, economics in NJ count towards mathematics, this may also hold true near you.

And apply for every job available. Even though districts likely pursue candidates nearby your student teaching in the content area will suggest you're a better candidate than those with no experience.

Good luck!

7. vateacher300

vateacher300 Rookie

May 12, 2014

I guess it depends on the state because in Virginia business teachers are in high-demand and are considered a "critical need." I am alt-route and dual certified in secondary social studies and business and information technology. I was told to pick up the business endorsement because social studies is so competitive and it's worked out well for me!

I went on seven interviews last summer on a provisional license and five of them were for open business positions. I eventually landed a business position in August. I went on the job search again this year and just landed another business position for 2014-2015. Both years, I've seen more business positions open than social studies!

I'm not sure how licensure works across the country, but it's also helpful to have the marketing endorsement because some divisions here in Virginia look solely for candidates that are endorsed in both.

Good luck!

8. DanielleT

DanielleT Rookie

May 26, 2014

In NY, business teachers are not in high demand. It would be very difficult to find a position with only a business degree. My under grad is in business as well. However, I pursued mathematics for my grad degree and received my certification in math. I was lucky enough to find a job right after I graduated.

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 2, 2014

I am in VA too and it is listed as critical shortage but for some reason where I am located those available positions are few and far between :lol:......I am certified in both Marketing and Bus & Info Tech as well as 20+ years of actually business experience......I am a career switcher.

10. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Jun 3, 2014

In my experience in California, business jobs are available, but no one here is worryied about having someone licensed to teach them...At my school, in the years I have been here, we have had the art teacher, spanish teachers, history teachers, and english teachers all teach our computer classes...it's a joke.

I was lucky to get my job and I really enjoy what I do, but I had also gotten a math credential to make myself more marketable. So, additional certifications are probably going to be important for you to help ensure that you can secure a job.

11. snowball2014

snowball2014 Rookie

Jun 12, 2014

Look into certifications in PE or LAB, as they may not require the college hours

12. js00196

js00196 Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

Been a Long While Since Last on Here... But, THANK YOU ALL!

Wow, I am really glad to see all of these replies!

I'm sorry that I have not replied, but I want to thank everybody who has responded to my question. I have not been active on this site in a few months, so I've missed the times when the past five or six posts were made. But, I am really grateful for all of the responses!

I never thought I would look into teaching, but it just seems that teachers are much happier in their careers, as compared to those in Corporate America.

I would have to retake five courses in the Business Core, because I originally took the courses from a site called Straighterline.com Bottom line, I DO NOT recommend this site to anyone! These courses are NOT accredited. All in all, my degree is accredited, but when the state board looks at the transcripts, many classes are not going to be counted due to this problem.

In addition to these classes, I am missing an Organizational Theory course and non-Western cultural class, which is required by the university. Consumer Behavior / Education is an optional course, but definitely recommended. All of this is even before I can CONTINUE my education courses, and in a perfect world, I could get it done pretty quickly. But, not everything is taught in the same semester, and some courses have prereqs required, so that drags things on even more. When all is said and done, what should be a 1 or 1.5 year deal turns into nearly 3 years!

I have also been told that if I'm going to spend that long in school again to just forget the Business teaching and look into a more in-demand subject. I have thought about this with History or English. Science has way too many prereqs in their courses, especially with the Math. As for Math teaching itself, I think it would be next to impossible to achieve. I struggled with College Algebra enough.

This will be the second attempt at a career in my life, and bagging t-shirts and jeans for a living is getting old. I need to make sure that whatever I attempt, I am able to find decent employment. Because, if I can't find a teaching job after putting in almost 3 years of schooling and nearly $30K more in debt on student loans, I'm really screwed in life.

Thanks again to all that have replied!

I really, really do appreciate the comments! :)

13. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 2, 2014

Do you have a degree in business? marketing?

Here in VA with a degree in those areas and 5 or more years of work experience in that field one would just need to take the professional development courses then the applicable praxis exams and any other required exams that the state requires.

Good luck.

14. js00196

js00196 Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

I have a Bachelor's in Business Administration - Management Major. Pretty plain, I know.

That's really nice to know! Sounds like they are less strict than IL. IL has some of the toughest teacher requirements, I have heard.

15. rtkc

rtkc New Member

Apr 21, 2015

I exactly know how you feel! I have a MBA and over 10 years professional experience. I just finished my student teaching in 2014 in Business Education/Computers and picked up a certification in Marketing. Where I live, business positions aren't exactly growing on trees (positions can be scarce). I spent a good 4 months being paranoid about finding a job. Since I graduated in the fall I started subbing so I could have something to add to my resume. I actually have been offered 2 jobs for next year. With that said, I really had to network. Every interview I had was because I knew someone or contacted a principal directly). I know people who graduated the previous year who still can't find work. For me it was about being dedicated to finding a job. I'm guessing that you will have to compete against some established teachers and there is probably less jobs than there are teachers looking. I hope this is an honest answer. Yes, it will be hard, but don't give up.