For a field trip, we cannot do a car wash this year...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 8, 2008

For my class field trip to St. Augustine this year, we cannot do a car wash, but we can find other means of raising the money. Does anyone have any suggestions? The trip isn't until May.

(Note- Don't ask why we cannot do the car wash, because I don't completely know, but hopefully provide a helpful suggestion.)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 8, 2008

Could you do holiday-grams, Valentine's day grams, St. Patrick's day grams, etc.? You can put together really cheap small bags of candy, or helium balloons, etc. Sell them at a profit and deliver them on the day of the event! These were hugely popular in our high school. Parents could send them to their students. It could be school-wide.

We made and sold crayons my last year of teaching fifth grade. The kids LOVED it. We melted down old crayons they brought in (tons of them) in baby food jars using an old microwave. Then I bough chocolate molds and we poured the wax in, stuck the molds in the freezer and popped them out for sale. We set up a table in front of the cafeteria. We only did it for a week, and we made TONS of money. You can even make less of one kind than another so they are 'collectible', or make one or two 'gold' and charge more. We did this during our economics unit, so you could teach them about supply and demand with the activity.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 8, 2008

I could bring that up to our school. :) The crayons may be decent for about .50, and the candy grams could go for $1.00 each. I remember the candy grams when I was in high school, though I've never seen them done in an elementary school before.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 8, 2008

Singing telegrams are enormously popular in my school....and the best part is they cost almost nothing...just the paper for the "order forms".

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 8, 2008

I saw an idea once for students to make bulletin board items to sell to teachers. The kids worked to think of different themes for boards and collect items to construct the board. Most of the items were recycled or class made, so they cost no or very little money.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2008

At various times during the year we sell freezies, frozen yogurt and popcorn at recess. These are hugely popular and have quite a high profit margin.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 9, 2008

To raise money when I was in high school we used to do a Holly Berry Craft fair (we had it in our gym). Some how we were able to get a lot of vendors to come. Charge like 20 bucks or 10 bucks for a space (don't remember the amount now). Also, sold candy, had a hopathon, and some other strange things.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 9, 2008

I like Mrs. C's idea too.

I think for whatever we do, we need a set price. I think that's what the issue was with the car wash. People would give us different amounts of money.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 9, 2008

Car washes are becoming less and less profitable...that might also be another reason. I also see you're in Florida. Until very recently, we've been having major water issues. While we're okay now, we can't count on that to last. They might be trying to be environmentally conscious as well.

11. glen

glen Companion

Nov 9, 2008

How about holiday gift wrapping?

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2008

Our 4th & 5th graders earned more than $300 toward their field trip selling Halloween cards for 25 cents each. Think of Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day as two event you could sell. Challenge the faculty/admin to buy as well.

13. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

We are trying to raise $13,000 for Science camp so here are some ideas:

:( We made $986 on a car wash...

Some other ideas:
    Chili Cook Off
    Beef Jerkey Sales
    Bottled Water Sale
    Gift Wrapping (outside Walmart or other store)
    Recycling ($55 just last week)
    Yard Sale
    Cell Phone Drive (www.pacebutler.com)
    Uncle Jerry's Tees (catalog sale)
    Wrapping paper
    PIctures with Santa at Winter sing a long

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 9, 2008

We've made a LOT from car washes in the past, too; I understand.

We could do something with holiday-related pictures at our winter wonderland night next month, perhaps.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2008

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2008

I had just had a thought...wouldn't it be cool to sell Teacher Grams??? Kids can send their teacher a little "note" with an apple. :D

17. glen

glen Companion

Nov 9, 2008

Used book sale? We made over $700 in one school day last year at our very small private school selling donated used books.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 9, 2008

We need $1,800.00 (approximately) in all, and normally their $30.00 per kid and $20.00 per chaperone fee covers about $800.00. I know I can get some donations, but we definitely need creative ways of raising more money. Besides that, I don't want to raise the cost of what they are paying on their own too much. It is a hard year for the economy. I could possibly do two payments of $30.00 per student at different times (and still ask a flat fee of $20.00 per chaperone), but I don't know how my parents would feel about that. Perhaps I should ask. The money we raise also covers the kids/chaperones who cannot afford the trip.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 9, 2008

What about organizing a talent show and selling tickets to the general public? The kids could go out into the community and sell the tickets, put posters up in grocery stores and things like that.

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 10, 2008

Pancake Breakfast
    Spaghetti Dinner

Polar Express Evening (Pjs hot cocoa and movie)

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008

My previous school would offer a "fun night" towards the holiday season where parents could drop their child off for a $5-$10 fee and they could go Christmas shopping. The kids could watch a movie and play in the gym with their friends. It was a pretty good moneymaker.

We also had basket auctions, pizza night (we would get pizzas at a discount from dominos and sell them at a dollar a piece profit- the kids could come to school and eat in the cafeteria that night with their families).

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008

We did this one year!!! We, teachers, were the designated babysitters! :D We kept the kids busy with arts/crafts.
    We also had a table with festive glass containers filled with dry cookie ingredients and cocoa mixes. We sold those during the "babysitting" time.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 11, 2008

That may actually be a really good idea. Sounds like a possible one to ask my principal about. I'd probably keep the price at $5.00 per child. How many children came to that event?

Besides that, we cannot sell candy. Just wanted to report that, also.

25. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 11, 2008

Well this is an idea but the kids can not do it. Our college and carrer department is raising money to go to North Carolina for a ski trip. We are doing 2 diff. days of a parents day out. One day is the day after thanksgiving. The other is a day in Dec. We are charging $25 dollars per child and $5/for each additional child. I did not pick the fundraiser but I hope we raise lots.
    Other fundraisers I have seen:
    Spagetti lunch($5 a plate children 3 and under eat free) plate includes garlic bread,spagetti, a slice of pound cake, bowl of salad and tea/water or coffee.
    Candy grams @ Valentines day
    boston butt sales
    we have a parade in our town and our church sold chairs for it
    Tshirt sales is a good one
    Krispy Cream donuts.

26. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 11, 2008

Our school does a major book fair, which pulls in probably thousands of dollars every year. We also do a pancake breakfast, raffles (baskets filled with different things), etc.

Another idea is allow kids to bring in spare change all year long and keep a big bottle in the classroom. Let the whole school know about it and keep updating the school with how you're doing. Spare change alone could probably cover most of your costs if students and teachers were serious about bringing it in. And since you have lots of time too, it might be helpful!

My high school did these coupons books (SUPER SUPER popular) and the school where I teach is doing the Sally Foster as well: https://fundraising.entertainment.com/psp/pacpc/CUSTOMER/CUST/h/?tab=EP_FUND_HOME

What's great about the coupon books is that they're cheap, the people who buy them save ALOT of money, and they're all local stuff around your area. Since people are trying to save money, these should sell fast. We always sold out of them back in high school and families would buy 3 or 4 of them to keep one and give to relatives.

27. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

We had over 30 children show up. I believe the time was from 6-10 (??); maybe up until 9 pm. We all had shifts so no teacher was there the whole night.
    We also offered pizza & drinks, but you can have parents bring a meal...I think most would rather not deal with a meal and pay extra if you offer the pizza/drinks.
    Because siblings were invited to come...be sure that you request only little ones who are potty-trained...no diapers and no bottles.
    also, I believe it was $10 a child including the meal.

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 11, 2008

Can you do a raffle? The easiest one is a half and half raffle...