football theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kem, Jan 14, 2008.

1. kem

kem Companion

Jan 14, 2008

I'm sure that I'm not alone among my fellow WI teachers in that Friday is "Packer Day" at our school. Any fun Packer/football ideas for centers, etc.?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2008

It's been a long time since I taught children so young but I'll give it a try. How about a lesson on colors (yellow and blue make green) or how about taking "packers" literally and build with blocks or work with squares or rectangles. Sounds like fun - GO Packers!

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jan 15, 2008

kem-I work at a parochial school in WI and am definitely going to suggest a Packer Day for Friday. What a good idea! If the principal doesn't want us to do this because students wear uniforms, I am going to suggest the teachers at least have a tailgate party in the teacher's lounge for lunch...chips & dip, brats, burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, etc... One of my friends told me her school did this last Friday before the game against Seattle. No ideas for any student activities, but have fun on your Packer Day!

5. kem

kem Companion

Jan 19, 2008

hooray for packer day!

We had a blast on "Packer Day!" Most of my kids don't know a thing about football, but they got wrapped up in the excitement anyway. One of my little guys, from a family of Vikings fans, was terribly disappointed that he had to stay home sick yesterday b/c he had to miss Packer Day at school. He even had bought a new Brett Favre jersey and made his dad e-mail a pic of him to us yesterday. Converting a Viking lover into a Packer fan-what a great teaching accomplishment:lol:

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jan 19, 2008

We got to have Packer day yesterday too! Most of the students and teachers participated. It was a lot of fun. One of the first grade teachers is a huge Bears fan and her room was decorated with green and gold balloons and streamers and other fun things. It was great! Glad you had a great day too. Thanks for the idea. :)

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 20, 2008

We had a Bears Party last year before the Super Bowl... everyone wore Bears gear, we asked the kids to bring their favorite Bear from home, and we had a "Bears Parade" to the medical building across the parking lot (we trick-or-treat there, also). Most of the classes made headbands or hats of some sort so the kids without Bear gear wouldn't be left out. We had a "tailgate part" with orange juice boxes, chips, veggie and dip, etc. We also had a Colts pinata (we bought a basic circular pinata and turned it into a Colts helmet) that the kids really enjoyed breaking.

Maybe that gives you some ideas ;)