Foot pain relief suggestions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Marci07, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

What are some ways to relief foot pain after a long day at work? My feet are in so much pain and it seems that all afternoon is not enough to ease the pain. I don't really want to take medication but I would like to find other alternatives.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2011

Soak them in warm water and epsom salt. That always makes mine feel better.

Make sure you're wearing good shoes, or at least good insoles.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

I bought insoles yesterday but they take so much space inside shoes that I can't fit my feet in the shoes after I put them in. I also wear my most comfortable flats with good support and I still get pain. I don't really want to start wearing those shoes that nurses and waitresses wear but I'm on my feet all day and I only sit for 20 min. during my lunch time.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2011

Are there already insoles in them? I had the same problem with a pair of tennis shoes, but I just removed the original insoles and the new insole fit fine.

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

Yes, there are insoles that are glued on the shoes already. I just checked several of my shoes and it doesn't seem like I can remove the insoles.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2011

Hmm....I'd see if you can try tearing them out. They obviously aren't doing you much good where they are. :lol:

Good luck!

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

Good point! :D

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

They should pull out. The insoles will fit much better if you take the original ones out. Epsom salt helps to.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 8, 2011

What brand of shoes are you wearing? You may have to get some "granny" shoes until your feet adjust to standing. The first few weeks my feet throb too after being much more sedentary in the summer.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2011

Get better shoes. Even if you think your shoes are great, if your feet are in that much pain and you don't have any physical issues, your shoes are bad (for you).

Flats are not necessarily great for many people. I have high arches and I can't wear them. I also can't wear my beloved 4" heels any longer because of my back issues, but wedges with around a 2" heel are my sweet spot. Any lower or any higher and I feel it in various pressure points.

My best shoes are Birkenstocks--I am happy I can wear those to work. I will continue wearing them until my toes turn blue in the winter, then I will switch to Birkenstock clogs.

I would go to a good shoe store, prepare to spend $100-150, and try on lots of different shoes and see how they support you. Dansko, Birkenstock, Clarks, some Uggs, and lots of other brands have some cute shoes that are also great for your situation. If you have Saxon stores in your area, they have a great selection of those brands.

I have some Ugg clogs that are nice looking, extremely comfortable, and you can't tell they are Uggs unless you can read the tiny silver tag on the back of the heels.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2011

I also find that drinking my 8 glasses of water a day really helps prevent my feet from hurting.

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

For some reason, this had been crossing my mind this week. I've been very dehydraded this week and today I went too long without drinking water. I'll try drinking more water to see if works.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2011

I find that the bottom of my feet become very sore to the touch (it feels like one big bruise) and it is painful to walk when I don't drink enough water.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2011

I am lucky that my BF will rub my feet almost every night. :)

I have this problem, too, though. I like easy spirits.

16. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 10, 2011

I would try orthotics. They are in-soles made specifically to your foot. They are not cheap, but they are well worth the money. I had terrible heel pain, and after I received the custom orthotics my pain went away with two weeks. As long as I wear the orthotic there is no pain. Good luck finding what works best for you!

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 10, 2011

I have custom orthotics. They help. I also buy good quality shoes. I can't wear flats. I need a small heel. I also do best with a firm sole. No Crocs or Aerosoles for me. Oh, and I also can't wear clogs.

I'm wearing mOstly Birkenstocks now. I'll wear them as log as possible. I have five different pairs of sandals.

I also have some old lady shoes. They are butt ugly brown lace up shoes. They are over $100 a pair, too. I will wear them when my feet hurt.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2011

I'm lucky I guess; I can wear cheap shoes as long as I choose the right ones.

But I do believe in changing them up. I seldom wear the same pair for 2 consecutive days. And I NEVER wear ballet flats; I need at least a little heel or my feet start to hurt.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 10, 2011

Drinking all that water would make my feet hurt from all the running to the restroom I would have to be doing... LOL

I have feet problems, too. Nov. will be a year that mine started hurting REALLY bad... plantar faciitis (sp?)... I don't know what I did to set it off but it hasn't stopped.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2011

I also put on my Clarks flip flops as soon as I get home. They feel like walking on a cloud so that makes my feet feel better as well. I put my feet up for at least thirty minutes at night too.

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

Plantar fascitis is very common. There are exercises you can do. My dr. recommended good shoes (like so many people said) with good arch support. My feet are happiest in Birkenstocks but I don't like how they look with my clothing. I try to wear them once a week to give my feet a break. I'm pretty comfortable in Clarks, Aerosoles, Born, and some other medium priced shoes. I also have a break mid day with a study hall, plan and lunch. I change into comfy shoes so I can run around the building and then back to professional looking shoes.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

I'm going to second (or third or fourth) the good shoes. I have plantar fascitis, and once I bought some good shoes, my problems stopped. Clarks, Sofft, Naturalizers... all are good choices. It's worth the investment.

And as someone else said, I rarely, if ever, wear flip flops now. If I do, I have a pair of sketchers that are well padded.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

Oooh I have a pair of yellow box flip flops. I can wear those. They are so squishy that it doesn't hurt my feet like other sandals do. I have a pair of Danskin shape up slip on sandals that I wear when my feet hurt. I have been known to put them on first thing when I get out of bed otherwise I fall over from the pain and stiffness.

25. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

As other posters have mentioned, you need good supporting shoes. I have feet problems which I see a doctor for. My right foot started hurting as soon as the first day of school. I was given a shot in my foot and have custom ordered prescription insoles for my shoes.

26. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

Maybe keep a back up pair of sandals/shoes you know are good on your feet with you at school so if you get a new pair of shoes and they start hurting your feet you can take them off and let your feet rest for a bit.

27. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 11, 2011

I have a feeling that my feet problems are related to my knee problems and other things as well. There have been times when my feet have hurt even when wearing gym shoes.

I just found some really comfortable Life Stride sandals on sale for $7 dollars. These will be my backup shoes. I also got a new pair of clarks but need to be broken into. If pain continues I'm going to have to check with a doctor. :(

I don't feel as bad wearing sandals at work as the AP at my school also wears sandals because she also has foot problems.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

I think that all those "shape up" type shoes are really bad for you. They might feel good on your feet, but I think they totally mess up your ankles, knees, and hips. Just something to think about.

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

I don't know how big you are, but since I've put a good bit of weight on, I'm pretty sure that's added to my problems. :/

30. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

That's what I was thinking! When I sub, I hardly ever have a chance to go to the restroom. I don't feel comfortable leaving the kids and it seems embarassing to ask another teacher to look in on them. I just try not to drink alot during the day!

31. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

There is a store where I live called The Good Feet Store. It's kind of expensive but they make insoles to fit your feet. I've heard people who went there say that it was the best thing they ever could have done! I've even heard of it fixing people's back pain.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to go to the doctor over this. Maybe they could help you or maybe your problem is coming from something other then your shoes.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

33. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 13, 2011

5'5 128lbs. I do have knee problems though. I had surgery on both knees already and I know that I may not be distributing my weight evenly.

34. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 13, 2011

I wore more comfortable shoes today. By the middle of the day my feet started to hurt so I switched to the Stride Rite sandals. My feet didn't hurt that much yesterday and today. :)

35. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

The best thing that I have found for me was getting additional arch support. I have the Dr. Scholl's kind, and for now it seems to help. I do better in flats than in heels, but these inserts have really helped my feet and my lower back from hurting.