Foot in Mouth, Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WordLover, May 25, 2017.

1. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

May 25, 2017

This is a question that hits upon the lesson (reminded of yesterday) that we need to think carefully before speaking. The secretary at a school (I'm subbing as a para) had unwittingly passed along a schedule that was not relevant, one that had times and days listed out of sequence. I've noticed that other schools in this district print schedule tables this way. Marginalia was also inscrutable. Some teachers looked puzzled and asked why I was in their classrooms. One sent me to the art teacher's room; the art teacher was confused by my presence. Frustrated, I hastily replied that the schedule was all "convoluted." This got back to the secretary who felt that I had been saying that she didn't know how to do her job, and she was quite offended and wanted me to "see" the principal. I sincerely apologized and we cleared the air. It made me think of strengthening my filter. So - any similar stories of lessons learned from "foot-in-mouth" disease?

3. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 25, 2017

Once I had a co-taught and the co-teacher had his smaller resource room but also had access to a vacant room closer to mine that was used for administrative detention. So usually when this co-teacher would take his students out to work with them they just went to the detention room for convenience. One day I got an email from “Mr. R” that he would be staying in his resource room and to just send the students to him when they were ready. Once it came time for his group of students to leave I said, “Today you will be going to Mr. R’s little room instead of the one near me.” Yep, that was it, I said, “little room.” This got me a trip to the principal’s office.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    WordLover likes this.
  4. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

May 25, 2017

Oh, my. Thanks for sharing.