Foot Dragging?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Caveman, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

OK, you guys have always been very forthcoming with useful intelligence about the bureaucracy of education and breaking in as a teacher. Hope you can help me out with this one. So here's the situation, as I said earlier, the traditional schools just are not giving me much love, response from them have been almost without acception lukewarm at best. It would appear that alternative schools are where it's at for me and that's OK. If a couple years of grunt work is what it takes to break into the business that's all cool and the gang. Besides, I had a reputation of being Mr. Dirty Work in the military so I suppose teaching shouldn't be any different. But to my question: There is a certain school in the area that did a phone interview with me when I was still in Texas and then did a face to face the day after I arrived in Florida June 1st. Both interviews went extremely well and I walked away feeling very strongly that they were going to hire me. The principal said he would probably have an answer in a week or so. When that time came and went I called him back to see what the deal was and he said, I just haven't made a decision yet but you're still under very strong consideration. This procedure was repeated several other times and as of last week he hadn't made a decision and said he would probably know wednesday, thursday of this week. I'm very new to this whole process and may in fact not have some critical piece of information but is this kind of indecision typical of administrators? Big boy rules apply here, if he was disinclined to hire me or in fact had hired someone else I would very much understand a very blunt and to the point, "Look dude, you didn't get the job so leave me alone." But he's not saying yes, he's not saying no so I guess I'm still in the ball game. I just wish there was more to it than, call me next week. A "get your butt to work on date X" would be far more encouraging but he's saying nothing definitive other than, I haven't made my decision yet. Do I just need to chill and let him do his thing or is there something I can do to expedite the procedure? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I'm totally confused

3. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

It could be that there are politics at work - maybe before hiring new teachers, he has to find places for veterans who've had to be moved around for some reason, or something like that. If he's encouraging you to call back, then continue doing so - I know it's frustrating, but sometimes it really does take them a long time to decide.

4. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

Just the fact that he said you are still being considered is a positive sign (I hope) I seem to get the little post card that says thanks but no thanks. The waiting is torture but at least you are still in the running. - Good luck

5. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 20, 2005

I agree with mmeblue. There is a lot of behind the scenes 'stuff' that has to be done before many administrators will give a definite answer. It is discouraging because we take it as they can't make up their minds whether they really want us or not. I can't tell you not to worry because the closer it gets to August, I'm sure the more worried you get. However, keep calling on a consistent basis to let them know you are persistent about getting this particular job.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

6. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

Thanks for all the advice guys, I know for a fact that this process isn't moving near fast enough for me but then again this isn't my show. I guess I hang in there and keep calling back until he says something definitively. I guess it is pretty encouraging that I'm at least still in the running. In the mean time, I aggressively pursue other leads and whoever says yes first has themselves an english teacher. After looking around the website last night it seems even though I've not been hired and I'm not an education major, I'm still having much better luck than some others up north. I've had seven interviews since the first of the month and only one of them went really badly. I knew 5 minutes into the interview that I wasn't what they were looking for. Other than that many doors are still wide open and it is only June so something is bound to happen right? At any rate, gotta go I'm dropping resumes on two schools today. I figure if nothing else, every interview I have gives me more practice at interviews so bring them on

7. 2teachis2touch

2teachis2touch New Member

Jun 20, 2005

Don't be discouraged...If they did not want you, they would have said the position is filled. Luckily you are now in the state of Florida where coming by a teaching postion is fairly easy these days ( as opposed to up north). If you're applying to a county such as Orange County Public Schools, I understand there is a Directive from Superintendent Ron Blocker, that each school MUST have a minimum of African-American teachers(being a minority such as Asian or Hispanic does not apply). So that could be an obstacle as well, if you are not African-American. Best wishes with your search -- you will land a position soon, and will be sswampped with teh grind of "back to school" before you know it! :D

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 20, 2005

Could be that the principal wants you, but administration is taking their sweet old time. I know it's hard, but it's still really early for new hires.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 20, 2005

I agree with what everyone else is saying. It's probably the "higher-ups" that are dragging their feet. They are probably moving veteran teachers around that have applied for transfers and if other applicants have political pull they may also get first consideration for openings. It really is a VERY political profession! I wouldn't worry too much. You probably would've been told already if you weren't being considered. If they're dragging it out this long you're probably still a top choice!

10. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 20, 2005

It took a month for me to get the offical word when I got hired. THe principal was forthcoming and told me I want you but I have to wait until x day to hire you. THen called me back a week later and asked me to wait an extra week to fill a different slot. So it can take a long time.
    Are you applying in the public or private schoold?

11. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

Have applied to both mainstream regular schools, charter schools, private companies contracted to the school district, you name it. The bottom line is I want to work, I want to teach and I'm sure that once I'm in the classroom doing my thing, the fact that I am an old man who just graduated college (without an education degree) and I still carry myself in large part like a GI will be invisible and I'll just be a very effective, totally unconventional teacher. I guarantee the first school that says yes is gonna see something unique, something magic, something memorable. Change the world mentality? You bet, but it ain't bragging if you can do it. And oh yeah, Florida is good! Saw the world for 25 years and it was time to come home, sure glad I did. :cool:

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 21, 2005

In my area (central California), most districts are still grappling with budget issues. I have been hired (first time!), but by one of the smaller districts. Even then, the principal let me know he was interested and wanted to hire me, but those nasty dollar figures did not get finalized until about two weeks ago. Scads of my friends are still looking. Every district has different issues hanging over their heads, and money is at the top of the list. (How many teachers to we HAVE to hire??!) Hang in there. You're doing all the right stuff!

13. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

Yeah, have heard from various sources that the money year around here starts on Jun 30th. That being the case, he may just be waiting to see if his budget will allow hiring me. Although it would be great to be hired before then, I realistically don't look to hear from any public school prior to their money dropping on or about the end of the month.

14. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

UPDATE:
    So I get a call from the school this morning and the lady tells me that the principal will be unavailable for the rest of the week and that he has re-advertised the language arts teaching job in his school. Not to worry though that I was still under strong consideration for the job. I dunno, I'm about done worrying about it. I figure after the fourth of July holiday he will either fish or cut bait. If he doesn't hire me one of the other thousand schools I've pimped about a job will. After stringing me out for this long I'm half tempted if he hires me to tell him his starting salary is woefully inadequate and hold out for another $5000 a year :D

15. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 21, 2005

HAHA! If you figure out how to get more $$$, let me know!! That's the scary part of my mid-life career change...less security, fewer perks, and about 35% less salary. Call me crazy...but we're making these choices for SOME reason! Right? Please tell me I'm right!! :-D Please!

16. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

I'm totally with you there. Rather ironic that I broke my backside to get through college and now I'm wading through all this crap to try to be a teacher and take a dramatic pay cut! It's a well known fact that the military is overworked and underpaid but I think teachers are dreadfully overworked and underpaid. And don't even get me started about the bureaucratic nonsense involved it's far worse than the military at least that bureaucracy had a purpose!

17. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 22, 2005

Yes yes we are...say we are :)

As another person going through a mid-life career change to teach and with still one more year of university I have to believe it will be worth it :)

Nah, I'm feeling really positive right now (of course I'm not interviewing for jobs, so that could be part of it) and I'm looking forward to next spring when I'll have that lovely B.Ed. degree to hang next to my B.A. ...and hopefully the job to go with it.

Now, back to work at my last summer job :)