Foods You Disliked as a Child But Like Now

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2014

The only thing I can think of is bologna. Back then though, my mom made bologna sandwiches with mayo on both slices of the bread. It tastes a LOT better when there's mustard on one slice.

I can tolerate peanut butter & jelly sandwiches a little better now, but w/ so many other good sandwiches, I hardly eat these & if I do, it MUST be grape jelly!

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 14, 2014

Sweet potatoes! I hated them as a kid---I LOVE them now :)

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2014

I hated sweet potatoes as a kid and STILL hate them now! Blech!!! Opposite of the thread...I LOVED Liversausage (Braunschweiger) sandwiches. I think I may still like it but haven't had one for over 30 years. They were tasty with mayo and lettuce!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2014

Brussels sprouts (I've learned over the past few months how yummy they are when you roast them instead of cooking them in water like my dad used to do).

Sauerkraut (being German, I grew up eating this but never liked it and HAD to eat it with mashed potatoes- now I can't get enough. And I learned over the summer that sauerkraut is AMAZING in southern Bavaria!)

Still can't stand lima beans. Blech!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

I was a pretty picky child, but now there isn't much I won't at least try. One thing I cannot eat is peanut butter. I despise the stuff. The smell, taste, texture-everything.

Luckily, Nutella is more than happy to fill that gap for me. Oh, bless you sweet, sweet Nutella...

But really, I'm a lot more adventurous than I was as a kid. Within reason, of course. I think, in a lot of ways, my kids are more brave than I was. They love wild game (which I still don't eat a lot of), and are pretty good about trying things.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

As a kid, I hated vegetables--even if they were drenched in ranch dressing.

As an adult, I can't get enough veggies--without ranch dressing, I'm happy to report!

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 14, 2014

I wish I could say the same! I still can't stand vegetables...they taste incredibly bitter to me. I still eat them, but only because they're healthy. I got a nutribullet so I could make them in smoothie form with fruit and I can just chug the drink and get it over with.

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Oct 14, 2014

Not particularly. I can think of a lot of things I loved as a kid, but that I hate now.
    I guess I went in reverse on being a picky eater.
    Examples: Cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, coconut, pineapple, any type of seafood, beets, squash, asparagus, zucchini, tomatoes, any type of pie, baked potato, most types of pasta....I could just keep going all night. I've become much, much more picky.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2014

I hated cheese as a child. Now I love it. I also hated cottage cheese as a child, and I still do...actually, I have never really tasted it, I can't get past the smell!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2014

Squash--all types. Wouldn't eat it as a child, love it now!

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 15, 2014

I was going to say vegetables too-especially asparagus! Love it now can remember not being allowed to leave the table because I wouldn't eat it as a child. ;) Brussel sprouts are growing on me and I'm really, really trying to like beets because I know they are so good for you.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2014

I knew veggies would probably be the #1 thing!

Yep, good idea. The only veggies I eat mainly are salad ingredients, which are quite a few, but I don't really eat cooked veggies hardly.

That's a switch!

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2014

I can't past what it looks like. All white and lumpy!!!!!! Groooooosss! and Cauliflower! Dead brains to me!

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 15, 2014

As a kid I liked pasta, mashed potatoes, grilled cheese sandwiches and most candy/junk food. Everything else I choked down.

Now I eat pretty much anything except red meat and mushrooms.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2014

I know there must be some foods I would NOT eat as a child but I can't think of any at the moment. All the children in our family pretty much ate what my parents cooked. However, I was told that as a child I would eat all kinds of seafood but probably only until 5 or 6. At that point I distinctly remember not wanting to eat any of it. I think mostly the smell would make me gag. Since then I can't touch or be near the stuff or I will feel ill. My mom insists that I loved it though when I was little. I'm a bit horrified by this!! :lol: