Food Revolution

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherNY, Mar 27, 2010.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 27, 2010

Did anyone see the first episode (preview?) of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? I know there have been threads about school lunches but I never realized that some were that bad until I saw this show. I'm curious to see how it will play out. Thoughts?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2010

I loved it. I watched the first 2 episodes on hulu this afternoon (or maybe it was one 2 hour episode? I dunno.) I was expecting him to go into a town, have everyone all happy-ever-after by the end, and then move on. I like that he is actually focusing on one town for the whole season and that it is much more realistic. There is a lot of resistance and by the first hour he really didn't accomplish anything.

It was really eye opening, too. I mean, I can't believe he went through that whole thing with the chicken nuggets with the kids and they STILL wanted to eat them. My DBF and I swore right then and there that we would never feed our kids chicken nuggets or fish sticks. I couldn't believe they didn't know the veggies, either. I wonder what other elementary teachers thought about that, because it seemed unreal to me.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 27, 2010

I'll have to check back on HULU to see if I can find the other episode. I only saw the one that was 43 minutes. It was so sad to see that overweight boy tell Jamie that he got teased in school but he wanted to make a change and I hope he does.

5. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

I am watching it right now. I have a thing about food- I am very big into healthy, organic, willpower- and so I find all of these shows to be incredibly fascinating. Will check back in when it's over!

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

I'm a health foodie as well and have been eagerly waiting this show since I heard about it in January. I am loving it.

And I'm not surprised that the children still ate the Frankenstein chicken nuggets and I'm not surprised the majority of the students chose pizza over chicken. I was thinking, "Don't give them a choice! Only offer one meal!" I have always thought it was strange that children are sometimes offered up to three different choices and that chocolate and strawberry milk are served. I was glad to see that Jamie caught onto the choices thing quickly. I also agree with him that the school should stand their ground more with the children having to eat more than they do when they don't like their food and that they should be helping the children to learn how to use a knife and fork. It's sad that children don't learn those things at home, making it harder for schools to reinforce those behaviors, but that doesn't mean that schools still shouldn't be teaching and reinforcing those behaviors.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 27, 2010

That chicken nugget demonstration was sickening.

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

In a perfect world, this would be great, but I don't see how this can work on a practical level. The kids have a certain amount of time for lunch before they go back to the classroom- if the lunch time is up and the kid only barely touched his veggies, what do you do? Keep them in the cafeteria and make them continue eating? Who will be doing that? The teachers that are on their lunch break? A couple of aides? I just don't see it happening. It would be lovely, but school cannot be the place for EVERYTHING. Parents need to take charge of their kids eating habits and use of utensils, things like that. JMHO.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 27, 2010

At our school, if a child does not eat part of their bought lunch, the box is put into the back pack so parents can see there were left overs. If the child doesn't like the meal, they should make note of that and send something the next time it's served-no child should go hungry!

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

I believe having the students "eat more" as I stated in my original post isn't too much to ask for. When I LTS'd at an elementary last fall, the students had an understanding that if the teachers on lunch duty told them to eat more of this or that on their tray, they had to do so. I never once had a student tell me no or not eat more of what I asked them to eat. I'm sure it was so "easy" at this particular school because this expectation was reinforced from the time the students started at that school. I still don't believe that just because a parent isn't reinforcing a certain behavior or teaching something, teachers should believe their hands have been washed clean of doing so.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 27, 2010

When I went to school, the teacher sat at the end of the lunch table and ate her lunch with us. We had to eat everything on our lunch tray--even that spinach. If we were not done, we were moved to another table with other slow eaters. I don't remember it being a big deal. If we ate school lunch, we knew we had to eat everything.

I could not believe it when the school said they did not have knives for the kids. I do know, that when I worked in day care, I had to fight to get the teachers to let the children use knife, fork, and spoon. And when my GS was in day care, I had to bring a fork for him, as they only had spoons.

I wonder how much of the show is just to make it look good?

12. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 27, 2010

He did a similar show in England several years ago. It was very much the same: a town, a school, big changes. Equally disturbing, although with different triggers to gross you out.
    Here it was diabetes, there it was major colon issues with children.
    Scary show, but a sad reality for many people. (I started out saying "a sad reality, I presume," but changed it, as I know kids and families like those depicted in the program.)

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2010

A para at my old school got in trouble from the principal after a student went home complaining, for telling the students to "open" their milk cartons (in order to encourage them to drink it).

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

We have over 600 kids per lunch period, all in one room. The periods range from 38 minutes (most days) to 29 (once or twice a month), with a few 32 minute days thrown in.

There's simply no way for the 7 teachers on duty to play food cop. We watch the registers, (to prevent kids from stealing), the lines (to minimize cutting), the garbage (we use real stoneware plates, real siverware. We want to prevent it from accidentally getting thrown out.) We dismiss one table at a time so no junk gets left on or under the tables. We do crowd control. But it simply isn't realistic to expect us to know what the kids are eating.

Our kids range from grade 6 to grade 12. They're surely old enough to let mom or dad know if they don't like what's being sent in for lunch.

One time I DID notice one of my 7th graders buying nothing but junk for lunch 2 days in a row. I let him know that I would check in every day, and that I wanted to see some protein on his tray every day or I was calling his mom. But, to tell you the truth, that was a lucky call.

Another time, years ago, I caught the wrestling team stopping in at the nurse's office (across the hall from the cafeteria) on the way to lunch. If they made weight, they ate lunch. Otherwise they fasted. Please KNOW that I went to the principal on that one. But it was another lucky call; I happened to know the kids who were all coming from the nurse's office and overheard their conversation.

As a parent, I would love to know if something like that was going on, but I most certainly wouldn't expect it.

15. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Mar 28, 2010

I caught parts of it. I agree that the children should not have been given a choice between the fresh chicken and the pizza. Our center recieves our meals from the school. It's the same stuff. Some days we eat a yellow lunch. Why not serve green beans instead of corn for pities sake? I had to take a nutrition class in college, and one of the things I still remember is to serve a variety of color each day. I have children that are 16 months to 24 months in my room, I encourage them to try it all, and help with the use of spoons. We don't get forks or knives from the school either. The preschool room encourages the children to try 2 items before they can have seconds or have a peanutbutter sandwich. Before we had a staff member(who had no children of her own) who would not allow the children to eat their fruit until they ate everything else. The rest of us complained to the director, sometimes the fruit is alll the children would eat that day. They shouldn't be denied that!
    Our school lunch program is rediculious, and I have attended the food program training. THe cooks are following their guidelines which are in need of change.
    These kids are eating alot of the same junk at home, its no wonder they won't try the salad or real fruit. Sad.

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 28, 2010

My husband and I watched it and he was shocked by most of it. Most of it didn't surprise me, but it just validated the fact that I will make my children's lunches and send them every. single. day. We eat healthy and organic food and I would never put the food served at a school lunch in front of my family. The fruit is soaked in corn syrup if it's from a can and half the bananas they are served aren't even yellow yet. The veggies are ketchup or carrots with a huge thing of ranch. Salad is iceberg lettuce with an equal serving of ranch. Those are not veggies! Don't even get me started on breakfast pizzas and those chicken things...

17. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed watching the show. We always have had two choices of hot entrees at our school; however, now the students can choose whether or not to take the veggie being offered! WHAT?! If you put it on a 5 year olds tray, they may actually try it. If you give them the choice, they won't get it! (And I pay full price for my children to eat and told them they better get everything being offered or they can pack!)

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

I am not one for forcing children to eat more food. I try to encourage them to take the healthy choices. and to take the proper portion for them. This show is really interesting.

I am always shocked that people send more protein then fruits and veggies. The protein should be a 1/3 of the veggies and fruit.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

I am so grossed out. Just started watching the second show. I can't believe the kids ate the chicken nuggets he made. I am not eating chicken patties or nuggets ever again.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 29, 2010

Ditto.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

We are going to be teaching products and consumers again. I really think I am going to start introducing different fruits and veggies and what you can make with them.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

Ok saddest part of the show only a handful of parents showed up to see the presentation. They feed 450 kids a day and only few parents showed up?

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 29, 2010

I am most definitely against telling kids how much to eat or, "eat more" or "eat it all!" Kids know if they are hungry or not. They need to be taught to eat when they are hungry, and stop if they are not hungry. This is the other branch of obesity. Children naturally know if they need to eat or not, and adults mess them up.

My opinion is the show is great. I know for certain that the food served at our school is pathetic, although there is an effort to offer fresh fruits and veggies several times a week. The entrees are greasy and non-nutritional for the most part. What I have noticed consistently over the years is that the vast majority of young children I have taught LOVE fruits and veggies. They will eat them every chance they get. Schools should simply not offer anything that is not high nutritional value, and yes, it can be done on a budget.

I guess I have strong feelings about this topic! I am just horrified at what parents send for their kids to eat, and what the school serves them aside from the fruits and veggies.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 29, 2010

In our lunch room all the teachers eat with the students so we help them choose foods to put on their tray. I have the students take a salad AND a fruit every day. If they don't eat it then fine. At least they have the option to try it. Sometimes they surprise you and eat it if it's on their tray.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2010

I had a child run her school lunch over to the garbage and dump it in unopened last week. I read her the riot act..she had SmartFood popcorn and some mini muffins plus milk for lunch so she didn't go hungry, but what a waste...today she forgot her lunch so the school gave her a bagel from the left over lunches along with a bill for it...I'm going to have to call mom and see what's going on with this student and food....they definitely can afford lunch, this kid just doesn't want to deal with things that she's not in the mood for.

26. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 30, 2010

Never again. As soon as I think NUGGET, I see that glop he pulled out of the food processor. :eek:

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2010

I'm glad you said this because I was about to. I think it is a terrible idea to force kids to eat more than they want. The whole 'clean your plate' movement has had a major, negative impact on the rate of obesity in this country.

Let's not forget that lots of school food tastes like crap. I wouldn't want to eat a plate of nachos with gooey "cheese" for lunch, but that's what's offered at least once per week at my school--usually with french fries as a side!!! :eek:

I think that schools need to take another look at what they consider "fruit" and "vegetable". Corn is good, yes, but to me it's a starch and not a vegetable--it's more suited to the bread group than the veggie group. French fries as a veg? Ketchup as a fruit? NO!!!

When I was in school we could choose chocolate milk on Fridays only. I remember that it was a big treat. :lol: Every other day of the week it was regular milk--whole, 2% or skim.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2010

I'm having trouble with the 'willpower' thing. I guess I'll just say that I don't agree that people who struggle maintaining a healthy weight struggle because they lack the will to do so. For some people it's like saying, 'Well, why can't you just change your eyes to blue? If you really want it, you should be able to do it.' It doesn't work that way.

29. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

Maybe she meant the willpower to choose healthy foods over junk? I think for people of any size this takes willpower sometimes! :haha:

30. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 6, 2010

The corn as a veggie/starch argument kills me. I am with you Cassie753. Corn is a starch. But the FDA says no. The milk is a district issue. Choc and flavors count provided they are all dairy. This isn't helping when you dump the chemicals and sugar in to the flavor. Districts or schools make the policy for how much of that colored stuff you get in your milk---the milk is FDA.

31. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2010

I totally agree. I am very successful in my career life. I have a master's degree that I got while I was working both a full and part time job. I own a home and keep it clean and tidy. Anyone who says I don't have willpower is crazy. Yet I am pretty significantly overweight.

Many people who are overweight have conditions that doctors seem to ignore and not tell them about, such as yeast overgrowths, low blood sugar, unbalanced brain chemistry, unidentified food allergies. All doctors want to do is tell you to get bypass surgery and all society wants to do is tell you to have more willpower.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2010

I totally agree with that, but I also think it is important for adults to encourage children to try new and different foods. So you might not force them to eat all the food, but ask them to please try one bite of something they haven't touched.

33. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2010

Silver... I couldn't agree more. Just because we as parents don't like something doesn't mean the kiddos won't. I don't like seafood, but our lil ones LOVE it!!!

I learned from my gpa as well... I'm not a huge veggie person, but I do take a little of it to eat in front of the lil ones to encourage eating that type of food & to show I'm willing to try other things as well!!!

I have to remind ours sometimes a snack is not a meal...you don't have to be full from a snack!!! LOL!!!

34. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 6, 2010

Sorry got interupted. I agree everyone needs to be making better choices in regard to what their choices allow on school lunch tables. I am a healthy eater, but will power isn't easy just because you are thin, or shop in the produce aisle. Even I have to work to outsmart myself and put the soy ice cream down.

No one is perfect----but some make choices that only they have to live with, and others have a hand in making choices that little children have to live with.

35. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 6, 2010

I watched both episodes and I think Jamie made a mistake by changing the menus completely. Those children are used to eating junk. I think he should have made what they are used to eating healthier. Like REAL breakfast pizzas with eggs and turkey sausage or bacon with whole wheat crust. Chicken strips made from REAL chicken breasts. Vegetables and dip or baked sweet potato fries instead of fancy salads.

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 6, 2010

The only students I tell to eat or eat more are the students that are on medication and don't eat. The ones that have noticeable weight loss.

37. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 6, 2010

I was in no way referring to having willpower over weight. As Rebecca said, I was talking about the willpower to select healthy foods over junk foods. I am thin, but I don't believe that being thin makes it any easier for me to skip my favorite snacks than for anyone else. I inherited a huge sweet tooth and it takes a LOT of willpower to skip the ice cream and have an apple at night. In my post I was strictly talking about eating healthy foods- never the topic of weight. I hope this clears things up!

38. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 6, 2010

EDU, that is exactly what I thought. Change is hard, and a changing a little at a time would be easier on the kids.

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone think french fries should be counted as a veggie?? We have french fries at school once a week but there is also another veggie on the plate and an optional salad.

40. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2010

I don't have a problem with french fries being a veggie, they are high in nutrition. Just don't deep fat fry them, and make sure they are actually cooked! As for corn, I remember from my nutirtion class that my professor stated that the only good about corn is that it makes good poop!