Food Pyramid

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by student, Jan 20, 2008.

1. student

student Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

Does anyone have any fun preschool lessons that have to do with the food pyramid. I am in college and need to make up a lesson, and i am stuck on ideas!
    Thanks

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 20, 2008

simplify the food pyramid into "always foods" (fruits and veggies, etc), "sometimes foods" (juice, pop tarts, etc) and "treats" (chips, candy, etc)... have the kids cut food out (or use precut food, depending on ability) and glue in the appropriate location.

sort healthy foods and not healthy foods

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

I've also heard of color coding foods in to "go, slow, and woah!" groups. This can be incorporated with the previous posters idea:
    Go = always foods, (fruits, veggies)
    slow = sometimes foods (juice, pop tarts)
    woah! = treats (chips candy)

You can name foods and have them hold up the right color...

5. Myname

Myname Comrade

Jan 20, 2008

Cut out a triangle like the pyramid and have them glue the food that you cut out ahead of time from magazines in its location on the pyramid.

maybe one item from each section. And make a spot spot on the pyramid to clue the item to.

Bottom biggest area bread
    middle left fruit, right veggie
    next up meat right and dairy left
    top very small in size other group.

6. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jan 20, 2008

I did a food sort with fake plastic foods and food boxes. We played a musical chairs sort of game with two baskets, one with a smiley face and one with a frowning face. The students walked in a large circle around the two baskets. Each student had a brown bag with 5-6 foods in them. When the music stopped they had to decide which basket it went in. When all the foods were placed in the baskets, we sat in a cirlce and I dumped the foods out of one basket, then the other. We talked about which foods were in the wrong basket and why. I also made a man out of basic shapes and primary colors called "Food Man." I wrote a saying to go along with him, but I can't remember it exactly. It seemed really corny at the time, but the students really enjoyed it.

7. student

student Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

Thanksfor all of the help!

8. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 21, 2008

This is a great idea! Just be aware that the format of the pyramid has changed and does not place the food groups in that format anymore. For more info on what it looks like now: google Mypyramid for kids and click on the link that gives you a pdf version... good luck!