Food Processor Confusion

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Nov 27, 2012.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 27, 2012

I recently received a food processor, but I don't know what to do with it. That sounds completely stupid, but I have never had one. My mother never used one either. I am excited to have a new kitchen gadget; I just don't quite know what to do with it beyond chopping veggies.

On the other hand I am wondering if I should exchange it for the next size up since you can change the slicing thickness without taking the whole thing apart and changing the blade. That's right, I am wondering if I should upgrade this thing I don't know how to use. :lol:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 27, 2012

I bought one but I have only used it about 4 times. I would love to hear the responses you get. Every week I plan on making hummus...it's been about 4 months so far and I'm still finalizing my plans. :D

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 27, 2012

All I use mine for is chopping veggies, but...we eat a lot of veggies.

I would never make homemade soup if I had to chop everything by hand!

5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 27, 2012

What is it, a Cuisinart?

Get one with a slicing disk.

It is great for a variety of things, like slicing potatoes.

Dicing veggies.

Chopping herbs for a rub

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 28, 2012

Oh, the food processor is one awesome machine. I am thinking of getting one for home to chop stuff up with. The one I use is at work and I use it multiple times in 8 hours.

My suggestion is if you're going to be using it a lot to get a size bigger than you think you will need. I've found that if you put just a little too much in the machine it gets pretty hot because it's working too hard. But we have a really tiny one because our bigger one broke.

7. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 28, 2012

I've got two - a small one and a large one. I use the small one for little things like small batches of pesto, chopping nuts, mixing sauces, chopping large amounts of garlic and ginger, etc. My large one is used for pie crusts, strudle for coffee cakes and crisps, grating zucchini for freezing, pureeing pumpkin, pureeing roasted tomatoes, apple sauce, grinding meat (if you don't have a meat grinder) and basically anthying that you would need a blender for. I don't use my large processor all that often, but when I need it, it is used a lot. I put up about 50 lbs of zucchini, 140 lbs of tomatoes, and 12 large pumpkins this year alone.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 28, 2012

Holy cow, Ranchwife!

It's a KitchenAide food processor. I am only having one, and this brand has a dual bowl thing going on (a large bowl and a smaller one that can be fit inside of it for smaller jobs) in both the 9oz. and 13 oz. models.

As of now I don't do any freezing/canning of any sort, but my parents have an apple tree and always try to give away bunches of apples. I would freeze some of those if I could. Not sure about zucchini or tomatoes. Who knows?

9. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 28, 2012

Yeah, my mom's has the double bowl thing going on. Pretty useful.

She used it a LOT on thanksgiving

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 29, 2012

I don't have one, but I've heard someone rave about how it's great for making pastry dough. It cuts up the butter and mixes it into the dough without it melting because of the warmth from your hands, and when it bakes, it creates little pockets of buttery goodness. Apparently, at least.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2012

I have a little mini one that I use for random things like chopping candy canes for decorating Christmas cookies. I always forget to use it for veggies, though!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2012

Coke slaw
    Chopping veg
    Grating cheese
    Making gazpacho
    Making pesto

13. holliday

holliday Comrade

Dec 1, 2012

We mostly use ours to make salsa. Just throw tomatoes, jalepeno, garlic, red onion, cilantro (if you like it), black beans, and corn in there...I usually add a little green chile sauce, too.

Yummers.