Food prep advice. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by linswin23, Sep 21, 2016.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 21, 2016

All right, I'm tired of always asking my husband, "So, what are we doing for dinner tonight?"

We both love to cook, but during the weekdays we get home from work and are spent! I don't like having to come home and chop vegetables!

Any food prep advice?

I want to start this weekend. Plan is to go to the store on Saturday morning (early) and prep Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning/afternoon.

How do you food prep? How much do you prep? It is only myself and my husband, so I think doing weekly would be a pretty good start.

I would need to prep breakfasts and dinners. We both eat school lunch. We live in Korea and school lunch here is the BOMB!

Thanks, guys!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2016

I do the same thing with hubby. I found if I could plan dinner for the week even if a i change day during that week .... I at least have a game plan and can prep ie. Take meat out of freezer. I don't do a lot of chopping of veggies. We tend to buy the frozen ones.so I can't help you there.

janlee likes this.
  4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 21, 2016

I cook for 1, so take this for what it's worth. (And I'm currently trying to plan out my meals for next week, so this is perfect timing...)

I plan out what I would like to eat for the week and buy all the groceries on Thursdays after school. I try to incorporate as many random ingredients that I already have in the house as possible.

On the weekend I cook 2 large meals (remember, I'm only cooking for one). I freeze all the leftovers into meal sized portions. During the week, I simply take a container out of the freezer the night before and then when I get home I just have to re-heat supper. Eventually I start to stock pile a variety of meals, so it doesn't seem like I am always eating the same thing.

I also always keep some staples on hand so I can BBQ quickly or scramble some eggs.

linswin23 and DizneeTeachR like this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 22, 2016

You could pre-chop the veggies and put them into baggies. I have done this but don't like veggies that have been sitting in the fridge chopped too far ahead. I actually buy some frozen veggies because saves on time. I cook a lot of dishes with chopped/sliced peppers so I buy the frozen pepper strips. They have bags of a pepper/onion frozen mixture also. Just throw in as much as you need and put the rest back in the freezer. Also, like others said, plan for the week. If I waited until my husband told me what he wanted for dinner every night we wouldn't be eating until midnight!

linswin23 and DizneeTeachR like this.
  6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2016

We have one of those vacuum bag machine...food saver. We use it a lot you may be able to prep stuff and use those as well. I also hear that you should not wash fruits and veggies and store them the go bad quicker. We actually grow veggies, I put them in those baggies & freeze. They are pretty good when we take out and eat.
    Oh and the food saver is also nice because you can re seal bags of chip, crackers, etc.

linswin23 likes this.