Food for Thought!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by matteacherpreschool, May 4, 2020.

1. matteacherpreschool

matteacherpreschool New Member

May 4, 2020

Hey y'all! I've been a longtime reader for the forum but thought I'd share a minor teaching success! My preschoolers had really been struggling to make any progress in their math lessons, it's like they were stuck! They reached this point in the year in which things just weren't sticking with them. I was clueless, I felt like a failure as a teacher, it was something they never prepared me for in college. However, I took it into my hands and enrolled them all in an online math program that would teach the lessons to them and provide mini questions along the way to ensure they were understanding it as it went along (something I didn't think to do!) Within just two weeks, BOOM! scores went up and they overcame this bump in the road for math. This really encouraged me to become more involved in learning with technology and computers in general which I admittedly overlooked given their young age, but it rocks!

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

May 4, 2020

Which online math program? How did you incorporate it in the classroom?

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 4, 2020

I'm happy for your success... but I'm struggling to accept that "math lessons" and "scores" and "online math programs" are appropriate for preschool.... Not that I don't think preschoolers should learn math concepts, but I believe that those concepts should be naturally built into their environment and play, in an inquiry-based way. I don't feel that direct instruction "lessons" - whether facilitated by teacher or computer - are really appropriate for this age group, nor that they should be tested. And I also believe that screen time should be minimized. Sorry...

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.