Food, drinks, and gum?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ryhoyarbie, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

Do you allow food, drinks, and gum in your classroom?

I subbed today at a high school and saw every single person in the classes I subbed chewing gum, which I wouldn't allow if I were a full time teacher.

I also had students say their teacher lets them eat food in the classroom and that I could leave a note to the teacher telling him/her about it.

So that got me thinking, do you allow that kind of stuff with your students?

The only thing I would allow is water and that's it.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2009

Nope, nope, and nope.

All are against school policy. My kids swear I can catch gum from another room.

I don't penalize them, I just have them get rid of it.

The only exceptions are the occasional kids who have doctor's notes-- they get a pass from the dean.

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

I used to a couple years ago and it was abused. No more--nothing.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

We have snack time in my room, so they can eat then- but its supposed to be healthy. No drinks- we have a water fountain very close to our classroom. And no gum- that's a school rule!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

We have snack time and I allow bottled water, especially in the warm months when they take it to PE. One of my children has OCD and we have it written into her IEP that she is allowed to chew gum. She keeps extra packages in my desk and can chew it only in my room.

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 27, 2009

I would never allow food or gum... the trash COULD attract roaches and critters and rodents... as far as drinks go, not even water since I don't want to check if it's mixed with vodka.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 27, 2009

I don't care about the gum as long as I can't hear them chewing it :eek:! My school doesn't have a gum policy. My last school did (middle school) so I enforced it there. I'm not a gum chewer myself, but it's not something that bothers me and I know for many it's a habit. So again, as long as it's not distracting anyone by being noisy, I don't care.

I let them have water, but no other drinks.

No food allowed. Although I do bend the rules for my homeroom (10 minute start of the day) because hey, I'd rather they do eat something before going off to their classes even though they're not supposed to have any food outside the cafeteria.

9. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

Vodka! Good lord, what kind of people would drink vodka on school grounds, besides teachers having a bad day!:lol:

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2009

Lots and lots of kids.

Alcoholism among kids is a HUGE Problem.

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2005/crime_safe04/indicator_17.asp

A particular quote from that study:

"In 2003, 45 percent of students had consumed at least one drink of alcohol anywhere in the 30 days before being surveyed, and a smaller percentage (5 percent) had consumed at least one drink on school property."
    That would mean that, in my school of 2500 kids, we could expect that 125 of them had had a drink on school property in the last month.. 125 kids!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 27, 2009

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 27, 2009

More than once in my high school, kids would bring vodka in their thermoses to school during finals.

Ironically, it was the SAME kids who got caught EVERY time and weren't smart enough to stop doing it...

13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

Wow, didn't know alcohol was a big problem in high schools. One would think you wouldn't see students drink in school. Well they're not supposed to drink period until 21. But we all know they do that in college. But that's another story.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2009

My school has recently started addressing the problem. They ran a series of symposiums this year for the parents, designed to help them recognize the signs of kids who are making the wrong choices.

Last year at an assembly, one of our Juniors told the school that he had been a member of AA for several years.

It's not my school-- if anything, I think we're ahead of the curve in terms of dealing with the elephant in the room (to steal an AA phrase.) It's incredibly pervasive.

15. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 27, 2009

It depends on the grade level and school policy. We allow students to drink water in class and we have a snack break in the morning. Keep in mind though, we are in an elementary setting. As far as gum goes, we do not have a school-wide policy. But it is understood that if we allow students to chew gum, we had better make sure that they are responsible for it.

In high school, I would not have a problem with the gum and it would depend on time of day for the snacks/beverages. Those kids are nearly ready to vote for goodness sake. They SHOULD be respectful and responsible enough to have those items.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 27, 2009

I'm a grazer, so I understand the desire to snack throughout the day. I've always allowed my students to eat whenever they wanted-it makes food a non-issue. They do it quietly, cleanly and think it's a huge responsibiity. I've always allowed water bottles as well. No gum, however. My last principal got really upset when she found out I allowed my students to eat in the classroom and banned them. That broke my heart. I really believe that you're asking for trouble when you regulate eating to only certain times of the day. That leads to binging and over-eating. When I know I can only eat at certain times, I stuff myself, scared I won't be able to make it until the next meal. That's not healthy at all. Besides, being hungry causes low blood sugar headaches-that's HORRIBLE for learning.

17. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I would allow water if the school didn't have a policy against it. I am someone who is a constant drinker (not the vodka type! lol:)
    but I constantly have something to drink in my hand from the time I open my eyes before getting out of the bed until I close them at night! I am constantly drinking water or iced tea -

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

I don't know...with water being as vital to life as it is it just seems wrong to not allow students to have it. My students can have plain water and it's never been a problem. That said, schools and student populations are different and I would understand if it was too difficult to monitor or control.

I don't mind gum at all so long as they don't distract others with sounds--it's also never been a problem. I want to buy a lifetime supply of breath-enhancing gum for some students!

Food becomes problematic because of crumbs, grease marks, sharing, etc.

19. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 27, 2009

I allow water bottles but that is it. No food.
    Although I do reward with candy sometimes, like for winning a class game or something like that.
    With everything blooming and the pollen crazy around here, I've had a lot of coughers this week. Finally, when i couldn't even teach for some of the coughing, we played a game and I tossed out hard candy as rewards, to give them something to suck on. :)

20. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 27, 2009

I allow it all. The food and drink are very little problem other than an occassional spill. I have a plastic recyclin bin that is emptied daily and don't have bug issues.

That said, I am rethinking my gum policy. My students are very polite with their food and drink, but very rude with their gum. I have smacking, popping, and find ABC gum in all the wrong places.

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 27, 2009

I allow food and drink in my class as long as they are neat and clean about it. If I find any gum on the floor, food, etc. they lose the privleges no questions asked. Keep in mind I teach all honors and AP students who are pretty well behaved.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 27, 2009

I allow food and drink as long as I don't find wrappers, trash.
    I usually have pretzels or something available for students.

It's never been an issue.

I have a drink at my desk ... not because I talk all day and need it for my voice ... I just have a drink available.

I have 16 to 18 years olds in my classroom ... school breakfast and school lunch just doesn't cut it for some of them ... though our cafeteria staff does great things with what they have, sometimes meals get kinda skimpy.

23. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

I had a problem with critters in my classroom earlier in the year. So I don't allow food. Water is fine with me. I don't allow gum. I did allow them to chew gum during ISAT. I thought it might help them relax.

24. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

No food, gum and drink in the room is a policy in our school, and it bothers me when other teachers do not follow the policy--especially the gum policy, because the teachers who follow the rules are the "bad guys" when we are just doing our jobs.

25. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2009

Gum is against our school rules, so I enforce it. Like Alice, I have gum-spotting superpowers, and I simply ask them to get rid of it. They don't argue.

Our school allows plain water in clear bottles, for which I am glad. I have water near me at all times during the day, and I'd rather have the kids drink from their bottles than constantly ask to go to the fountain in warm weather.

As for food, we do have a snack policy. Sixth graders eat lunch at 10:40, so many of them are very hungry in the afternoon. They are allowed to have a snack in their ninth period class. The eighth graders don't eat until 12:30, so they can have a snack during 4th period. Seventh graders have the perfect lunch time, 11:30, but so many of our kids stay after school for sports and other extra curriculuars, that we allow them to have a healthy snack during homeroom. I've never had a problem with the kids abusing the privilege or being messy. I have one girl who brings cheerios as a snack, and I have to open the windows, because I can't stand the smell of cheerios!

26. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

Regular classroom teachers have snack during the day in the early morning. The student are allowed water bottles for the most part of the day. At times they bring them to my art room and it becomes more of an issue than a benefit for the students.

We have a school wide policy to not have gum. I usually don't mind it but I want to stick by the rules so I make them get rid of it. This was especially an issue when we were working with plaster of paris last week and the dust was all around the room. The students would literally end up eating the dust through the gum.

27. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

We have a no food, drink, or gum policy in our school. Which bugs me (well, not the gum part) because there have been research studies that suggest that allowing students to have unrestrited access to nutritious snacks and water throughout the school day actually improves performance. Also, as some pp suggested, creating any sort of parameters around food consumption, I think potentially can set some kids up for food issues that might manifest themself in Anorexia, Bullemia, or Binge Eating Disorder later in life.

So, because I want to comply with school rules, I do not allow any food, drink, or gum in the classroom. However, I have set up the policy in my classroom that students may raise their hand and ask to go to the water fountain (it's right outside our door) anytime as long as Ms. Tampa is not teaching. They know they are only out of the room one at a time, and they do a good job of going out quietly and returning quickly. Also, I teach MS self-contained, so my kids are with me all day. They take a 5 minute break every 50 minutes during class change, and I encourage them to get a drink of water from the fountain during their break.

If I teach at this school next year, I would like to try to present my P with some of the research linking water to academic performance, and see if he will make an exception for my class to have water bottles in class. My kids are anywhere from 2-5 grade levels below their chronological age, so I figure anything that might give them an academic edge can't hurt to try.

28. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2009

I don't have a problem with gum. It's not a policy in our school. I think it can really help some kids with ADHD concentrate (sort of like a fidget toy)... I know research has been done to show that there's a link between higher math scores and chewing gum... not that I place too much stock in that, but I did use it as an argument when I continually got sent to the principal's office for chewing gum in high school.

Here's a problem I had the other day though...

I had three first grader come into my little classroom to do a lesson on social skills. One of them was chewing gum, and I said that she could continue to chew it as long as she left it in her mouth, because she kept playing with it. (DISGUSTING!) Well, she continued to play with her gum, looking RIGHT at me as she did it, so I got up and got the garbage can and asked her to spit it out. She swallowed it instead. Later I found out where she got this gum. She was in music class, and you guessed it.... it was on the bottom of her chair!

Seriously disturbed little girl we're dealing with here.

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2009

Very strict "no gum, food, or drinks" rule at both schools I worked at.

However, my first year I did allow my 4th period to have a snack at the beginning of class (granola bar, etc). They had last lunch which started at 1pm and they were STARVING. After about 2 weeks of listening to stomachs growling, I gave in... as long as there was no mess.

As for the water bottles - One of my students brought a water bottle, telling her 1st period teacher she was sick and needed it. So the teacher let her have it. It was filled with straight vodka. She passed out 3rd period and was taken to the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

30. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 28, 2009

They probably thought because vodka is clear and supposedly odorless they could get it past the teachers however they didn't realize that drinking vodka will still get you buzzed or drunk and that would cause attention to you...:lol:

I had a few similar kids while I was in HS that were like that and they always got caught too.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2009

I'm grade 2- most classes grade K-3 in my building allow for a snack mid morning...I find that many kids don't eat a good breakfast so NEED somethng by 10 am...Most of the kids bring healthy snacks. I allow water bottles on their desks all day- I've done some reading on brain research and the water issue (it's grade 2, I'm not too concerned about vodka:eek:) We celebrate bdays- parents arrange to send a bday snack- usually cut up fruit trays, Dunkin munchkins or muffins. We have a nutritional policy regarding sugar in treats sent from home- sugar can't be the first ingredient and all items must be store-prepared/store bought. No gum, no soda for kids. Snack usually lasts about 10 minutes but during that time they are usually finishing up some morning activity or grabbing a quick read or play spelling hangman on whiteboards as they finish eating. Unless there are health issues (diabetic, blood sugar issues, etc) I don't see a need for them to be eating outside of the 'allotted eating times'- snack at 10, lunch at 12:30, go home at 3:10.

32. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Mar 28, 2009

Gum- No.
    Water- Yes.
    Snacks- Yes, during a twenty-minute period in reading. It hasn't caused too much of a problem, though this year's class hasn't brought in the healthiest of snacks. I feel "snack" needs a lot of explanation.