Food Allergies (weird ones)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Sep 22, 2014.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2014

I'm focusing on apples this week with my kindergartners. I have known I'm allergic to apples for the last few years, especially when eating.

I sliced an apple today to talk about the parts of an apple...ugh. I had such a bad reaction and almost had to leave school. I got huge welts on my hand that itched like crazy. Obviously I must have touched my eyes after cutting up the apple because they got very itchy and hurt! I avoided the temptation to rub them after I realized what was happening. Didn't help.... I got vampire eyes (not swollen too much but the whites of my eyes were so red! ick)! it was so ugly! I think my kiddos were a bit taken back but didn't say anything. Talking to parents after school today was so uncomfortable!! I'm so glad I didn't eat any of that apple! I have experienced some lip and throat swelling in eating certain fruits, apples being most pronounced. This was one of the most profound reactions I've ever had to an apple. I remember when I could eat them. Maybe I should try organic?

Do any of you have weird food allergies?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 22, 2014

I hope you feel better soon.

I'm (so far) only allergic to medicines.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2014

Thanks teacher. I looked further into this and saw people who are allergic to birch pollen are often allergic to apples. I know I 'm allergic to birch pollen after having gone through allergy testing years ago.

It just seems to be getting more profound and I wonder why. I would love to try organic and I'm wondering if anyone else has found that organic has made a difference allergy wise. I am a bit leary to eat an apple, organic or not.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 22, 2014

If I were you, I would stay away from all apples, including organic ones. Organic means it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, so whatever you're allergic is probably still in there.
    Allergies normally build up, and the reactions get worse and worse each time. Next time you could have major rashes, difficulty breathing, etc.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2014

I am allergic to coffee. If I touch coffee grounds or coffee beans I get huge hives. I do not know how but they found this out when I was 2 years old and the allergist told my mother to never allow me to drink it. I still get hives when I get in contact with it so I have never even tasted it. My other food allergies are just as weird--rice, carrots, peas, and mushrooms. Carrots are the worst to avoid bc I am a big salad eater and it is hard to find lettuce without carrots in it.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 23, 2014

If you get a reaction like that simply from touching an apple, please go see an allergist.

Be warned, they will prick you with a bunch of needles, because you need to get an allergy test done.

You may want to consider immunotherapy, if your insurance covers it (It's essentially a process that...desensitizes your immune system to the allergen, lessening the reaction).

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 23, 2014

If you're reacting to apples in particular, I'd bet against it helping to go with organic apples - though it IS just possible that something in the chemicals with which commercially sold apples are treated might be a factor.

If it's a reaction through contact, a simple solution might be to wear gloves - and go ahead and explain to the kids why. (It's not a bad thing for them to learn that allergies need to be taken seriously.)

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 23, 2014

I'm allergic to raw carrots but not cooked ones.

The bit about the link between pollen and allergies to food is true. My allergist told me that's why I can eat carrots cooked (if I choose - I don't). Apparently, whatever it is in carrots that I'm allergic to (a protein? I don't know) "looks" very similar to the pollen of one of the many trees I'm allergic to. When I ingest raw carrot, my body doesn't see carrot, it sees oak (for example) and goes into overdrive. Cooking the carrot changes the molecular structure of the carrot, so my body recognizes it for what it is and lets me eat it.

My reaction to carrots is much like you describe yours to be. My suggestion? Don't eat apples. At all (organic or not). Don't touch apples with your bare hands. If you do the same lesson again, use gloves. My allergist was concerned enough for me to prescribe an epi-pen. Food allergies are not something to be taken lightly.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 23, 2014

I've only had one allergic reaction to food. I love morel mushrooms and the regular white ones. I picked up some oyster mushrooms to try. While I was cooking, I popped a raw one in my mouth.

Within a few seconds my lips were tingly, and my face started to swell. I have an epipen.

Usually I just have sensitivity to foods. Those are just annoying. Something in the seasoning of curly fries makes me throw up.

I can't eat anything preserved with sulfate or I break out in hives. Those allergic reactions are better than the anaphylactic ones.

We aren't sure what my true allergies are. I had a major reaction to penicillin in 2001. Since then, I've been hypersensitive. The doctors aren't positive of the true allergies vs. my body just getting alarmed easily.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 23, 2014

I'm not allergic to any foods but Rockhubby is supremely allergic to shellfish and soy-intolerant. No Japanese steakhouses for us.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 23, 2014

I've had a student that was allergic to apples and chicken. I don't remember the reaction to the apples but the chicken would break him out in hives and he was just beside himself. And it wasn't even that much chicken. He was in the process of being tested for various allergies. We had chicken tetrazini (sp?) which barely had any chicken in it but he had a reaction to it. I told his mom that YEAH, HE'S ALLERGIC!

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 23, 2014

I've had others allergic to strawberries and peaches.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2014

My BIL is allergic to peaches.
    My sis knows a kid allergic to bananas!!!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2014

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 23, 2014

I'm allergic to eel and calamari, so I have to be careful when we get sushi. I'm also allergic to latex and to sulpha meds.

My dad is allergic to eggs.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2014

Glad that you're doing better, kinder! I'm not allergic to any foods, just cheap metal in earrings. I couldn't imagine being allergic to any foods!

18. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 23, 2014

My mom's allergic to NSAIDs and as a result, most anti-inflammatory medications.

She has severe back pain.

19. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 23, 2014

That is super interesting! Carrots falls under birch pollen. I've had much milder (and very inconsistent) reactions to apples, peaches, cherries and almonds, although I always thought it was a pesticide that hadn't been washed off properly because the peeled versions of those foods never bothered me.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 23, 2014

I'm allergic to tomatoes in all forms. Even the smallest amounts, either by ingestion, contact or airborne can trigger anaphylaxis. It sucks big time. I was with a friend in a major warehouse store when we passed by a sample table cooking something with a tomato sauce base and the next thing I knew I was gasping for breath and reaching for my epipen. There's at least one forum member who's seen me go, as she says, "from gabbing to gasping" in a matter of seconds.

As for the OP, I'd take the sudden increase in severity seriously. My tomato allergy developed over the course of my life. When I was a baby, I'd get bad diaper rash any time my mother ate anything with heavy tomatoes (when she was nursing me). As a kid, I'd get really bad GI symptoms when I ate them. As a teenager and young adult, those symptoms got worse and then I started getting hives. That eventually turned into mild anaphylaxis with ingestion, and continued to increase in severity until I couldn't even be in the same room with an open bottle of catsup (my doctors have me on meds now that reduces my reaction to airborne particles, thank goodness, so I can at least now go into a grocery store without fearing for my life). Allergies frequently get worse with each additional exposure. Bring this up with your doctor and follow his or her recommendations.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2014

Me too!!!

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2014

Me three!

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2014

That's so scary!!!! That is such a common food. Thank goodness there is a med for you that reduces your reaction!
    My reactions are getting worse. I will have to make an appt. with an allergist.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2014

My brother is allergic to hot dogs...I am allergic to latex and adhesive. My son has a reaction to soaps

25. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 24, 2014

I'm wondering what he's allergic to in hot dogs. Is it the casing? Is it the random pig parts in lower quality hot dogs? What about all beef hotdogs? Or kosher hotdogs?

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 24, 2014

I don't think I'm allergic to any foods although I do have a weird reaction to chocolate...it makes my clothes shrink! :eek:

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2014

:lol: I actually couldn't finish a chocolate chip cookie yesterday because it just didn't taste good to me. :eek:

28. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 24, 2014

I am not sure what about hot dogs that bother him...the doctor's always thought it was the mixture of chicken parts in it. He can eat all beef ones. Once when he was in high school a friend's mom didn't realize that he wasn't just being picky when he asked for all beef hot dogs. He ate several and they headed out to a ball game. On the way there he quit breathing on our friend. Shawn's mom felt so bad.

29. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2014

The only food that I'm allergic too and I wouldn't even call it allergic is strawberries. I uses to love them. The older I get the acid bother my mouth. Now my daughter has a distinct allergic reaction to strawberries. Hives, throwing up. She has can't have red dye.
    I'm allergic to bee and scorpion stings. The older I get the more intense the reaction.

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2014

My cousin was allergic to chocolate when he was younger.... he could eat white but not milk (dark wasn't a big thing back then). I think he grew out of it though...

STG...not much for milk chocolate any more...anything dark chocolate I like though!!!

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

White chocolate isn't REAL chocolate, that's why!!! :lol:

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2014

Oh the irony...tomorrow I go to an apple orchard with my class. I know I"ll be fine as I know I will not be eating nor touching any apple insides! This is one of my favorite field trips. Happy Johnny Appleseed Day!