Fondue Recipes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2013

Does anyone have a kid friendly fondue recipe? (A picky kid - kid friendly lol)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2013

Fondue doesn't have to be cheese. Fondue Bourguignonne involves meat and veg and whatnot, and the fondue pot contains either hot oil or hot broth. Since one can play with one's food, it tends to be pretty kid-friendly.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 29, 2013

This is a recipe from a famous restaurant in the Portland area. I have made this often. I have also used apple juice instead of wine.

Recipes

Rheinlander Cheese Fondue

Ingredients:

1 pound grated {processed} Swiss Cheese
    2 cups very dry white wine, Chardonnay or Chablis
    2 cloves mashed garlic
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper pinch of nutmeg

Directions:

If you cannot find cheese in a one pound block, buy it in slices then dice with a French knife into small cubes, In a stainless steel saucepan, simmer white wine, garlic, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper for approximately 10 to 15 minutes to reduce wine and let alcohol cook out. Place grated cheese or cheese cubes in wine mixture. Stir with wooden spoon until cheese completely melts. do not boil, just let it melt. If it is too thick, add more wine; if too thin, add more cheese. The consistency of the fondue should coat the bread evenly when it is dipped into the mixture.

Place in fondue pot and keep hot using a candle or an alcohol burner under the pot.

Serve with toasted rye and French bread. cut bread into 1/2 inch sized cubes. Place on a baking sheet and toast in a hot 400 degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. The inside should be soft, the outside crusty. Put bread in a basket lined with a napkin. Serve with fondue.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 29, 2013

Assuming you're looking for cheese fondue, here's what I make that my kids love. It's very similar to Blue's recipe if you do the apple juice instead of wine substitution. The original recipe calls for nutmeg but my kids don't like it so we leave it out.
    A bag of shredded Swiss cheese (6 oz)
    A bag of shredded Colby Jack cheese (8 oz)
    About 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
    one cup of apple juice
    one minced clove of garlic

Heat up the apple juice and garlic in the fondue pot until it is between a simmer and a boil. Dump in Swiss and Colby cheese, stir until melted, add a bit of Mexican cheese until the consistency looks right, and then reduce the heat.

We dip baby carrots, apples, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and chunks of French bread.

I shop at Wegmans and the two different bags of cheese each only cost $2. Even with adding in all the dippers that we use, it ends up being about a $10 dinner. Way more reasonable than going out for fondue.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 29, 2013

Ahhh, I should pull out my fondue pot for New Year's Eve! I have a fondue cookbook but haven't made it in years! We recently got a fondue restaurant in our area and the prices are insane!