Following directives

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

Just curious-how is your school with following directives?

Our district is going to 'standard based' report cards. We had a report card committee last year which I served on. Basically, I understood it as we needed to break our grades down a little bit. No longer one grade for reading, one for writing, one for math, etc. Now it should be one for narrative/persuasive/expository, one for base ten operations/fractions/geometry/algebraic equations/etc. There was a LOT of push-back against this, and the whole experience was miserable. I do believe, if we are going to these standards, that we should be reporting on the progress in them. Not every standard, but on the main ones, yes.

There are some teachers here who really, really do not like the idea of breaking their grades down. I suspect this is because they do not want to have to be held accountable for having assignments/tests that align to these standard strands. It's much easier to just enter all your grades and average, or not even enter grades-just give what you want to the kids.

The curriculum director has said you can do one grade for reading and one grade for writing, but she is making us break our math down. I'm fine with this-I have my grading set up so I can see how kids are doing with the strands. But there are many teachers that are e-mailing in saying they are just not going to do it-they are simply going to put the same grade in each box available, regardless of how that student is really doing with the standard strand.

I find this a bit unbelievable. I've never imagined that you could just say 'I'm not going to do this', especially in a district e-mail. Is this just my district (the teachers at the other elementary are doing this, too), or is this common?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

I'm thinking that the mindset of these teachers may be that this is just one more mandate passed on by a bureaucracy that continually micromanages its people. Or, maybe the straw that breaks the camel's back. Not saying I particularly agree with them, just that this may be what they are feeling.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

I'm a rule follower, so I always comply. I might vent to a colleague, but I'd never speak my mind to my boss.

The music teacher from the high school teaches my kids' music because the music teacher refused. I was blown away when I heard that!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

Huh.

It's weird, because our district is super low key. We don't turn in lesson plans, no one ever checks our grades, we don't have testing outside of the end of year SBAC. It's pretty much whatever you want to do, as long as it's professional. So I don't know why they are so angry.

Anyhow, I keep telling myself it's none of my business. I'll just do as I'm told and carry on. I was just really surprised by the hardline stance from the other teachers.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 24, 2014

Jem, you are right. Just do what you are told and carry on. It will be interesting for the few of you who do follow the rules and have different grades for different sections. Admin, if he or she looks, will catch on.

The only thing you will have to realize is that you can't look back at next year's students report cards and know how they fair in each breakdown area.

Yes, some teachers will do what they want if they think they can do it without recourse.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

Happens in my school - not necessarily my district - all the time. I, too, find it unbelievable, but it is what it is.

Yep, sounds about right.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2014

Our report cards have always been like that and I've never heard of anyone having a problem filling them out. I like how specific they are to parents. The different scores within one subject gives us something to discuss at parent teacher conferences and makes it clear what the child needs help with at home.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2014

We don't have a lot of directives but we do know what kinds of things we can push and those we can't...

We also created standards based reprt cards...t was an organic, teacher driven project and we worked for nearly Two years on them. At each step of the process we solicited feedback from grade level teams so there won't be so much push back. EVERYONE WILL use the report cards but change is hard and there will probably be some growing pains as we transition into the new reports this marking period,