Follow-up on marijuana charge

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Summersoff, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I recall a ways back I made a thread about me being concerned about a marijuana charge on my record that occured one month after turning 18 (in 1999). I am 26 now.
    Well i have sinced graduated in December and i went to a get my substitute license. I had to get an FBI check while i was there and the results were mailed to me today, to quote it says: THE FBI HAS DETERMINED THAT NO RECORD EXISTS IN THEIR FILES FOR (my name).
    So does this mean i can officially and truthfully mark NO on teaching apps for "ever convicted of a crime. . ."?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 12, 2008

I would.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

^Ditto.

5. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 12, 2008

I'm not sure. FBI is federal; schools are run by district and state governments...I think I'd try to find out for sure by maybe calling (without giving a name!) your local Dept of Ed, etc. Likely it will not be a problem, but you don't want to risk looking dishonest. FBI probably does not have the record, and never did, because it was not a federal case...

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2008

The FBI background checks also look into local charges, or the purpose of having people do that to be certified safe to work in a school district would not be met, it would be useless to do the check.

I am sure that they did look into local checks, at one point when I was a subsititue teacher at a DODDS school (deparment of defense) I had to not only get the background check but a security clearence (I had a Top Secret) and the FBI did it, they checked local records, from what I understand that is standard

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 12, 2008

Mostly true, wldywall, but I used to run rap sheets and request FBI files; they do not always match. That's really what I meant. There are many discrepancies between local, state, and federal records, which is why working in law enforcement can be such a chore! (I was in Federal Probation/Parole, on the U.S. District Court side of things.) Some things show up, and some things mysteriously do not appear, even when we know there's a record somewhere. It's a big, wide world out there with everyone tripping over each other! I'd be wondering who WOULD find it!

8. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

i guess im just going to mark "no." thanks for your input