Folder Issue!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Jul 29, 2011.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2011

:eek: I hate dealing with student take home folders. I find they just take up space and time to mess with. We do not send homework everyday. Most days I find the kids' folders go home with NOTHING in them. I'd like to reserve take home folders and send them home only when there are important notes to go home. Anyone else NOT send home take home folder every day?

I figure it could go home on Mondays with the newsletter. But after that, unless we have a note from the office - they don't really need their folders to go home.

I understand the idea of teaching them responsibility by keeping up with the folder. I spend time at the beginning of the year teaching kids to give me notes from parents. I also do not do a daily behavior chart - I write a note when there is a problem I can't handle. We do send home guided reading books daily but I have a zipper pouch for those.

What do you think? are daily take home folders that important for kinder? I'm torn.

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I would do whatever works best for you and you feel you will be able to be consistent in keeping up with.

I send home their take home binder everyday but that is because I have a daily conduct that I send home. Other teachers on my team send the folders home on Monday with school notes and homework and then again on Friday with their weekly conduct, school notes, and completed work. The only problem that I've seen teachers have with this is that my school sends home lots of paper work that can't always wait until Friday to be sent home.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

I send a folder everyday because I want parents to put any notes or whatnot in there. The students need to learn the routine of checking their folder each day so they become more independent in taking care of themselves.

At my school we use the bubbleope. It is a special velcro bubble folder that is pretty indestructible. I love it because it protects their papers even if their water bottle spills in the backpack. And it last all year. Although, they can be a little costly.

Also, how would parents know to look for a folder if it doesn't come home consistently? I totally know the struggles with the folder... they can be very annoying. But I think it is worth the struggle personally.

Maybe start the year with sending something home each day that needs to be returned each day. Then reward the ones who turn it in without asking. This will get the kids into the habit of taking care of their folder. And hopefully, elevating the struggle for you.

HTH

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2011

It's hard to only send home a folder on days when there are notes and homework because parents won't know when to look for the folder. So things may get missed.

Also, you never know when a parent has a note to send in to you.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

What I've found is if the only time there's anything in it is Monday- they don't check it the rest of the week anyway.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

I've always agreed with you. But we do send home guided reading books everyday and they are responsible for returning those pretty indepedently - some do great, some need reminders. But they do good. The problem isn't the bringing the folder into the room - they do that well. It's spending time (instructional time) at the end of the day getting folder (with nothing in them) that bugs me.

I'm not convince this is a good idea, but I am trying to find a solution to make it easier for them to get. Getting stuff at the end of the day is so chaotic - no other time of day, just the end.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2011

Could the folder live in the guided reading bag?

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

oh no it's a little zippered pouch really...

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

I would just be sure to establish a consistent routine. Maybe send them home only on Mondays and Thursdays.

What do you do about parents writing notes to you?

11. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

I must know what this bubble thing is! :) Great idea for a thread, by the way. Now that we don't make the kids do dittos/worksheets (yay!), nothing is in the folders anymore. But you still need the routine of checking it each day for occasional paperwork.

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

I can agree with you that it is a chuck of time that is a waste! Plus it is always so crazy with everyone rushing to get it done. I've considered having it done in shifts during centers but that would only work with my AM class since they have centers at the end of their day, but the PM class has them right in the middle. Anyway, I am not sure the best solution.

Here is a link to the bubbleope:
    http://www.jampaper.com/Envelopes/PaddedBubbleEnvelopes/MetallicBubblopeswithVELCRObrandClosure

13. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

I have NEVER done take home folders... Please don't flame me, but in my opinion I think they are a complete waste! First, I don't have time to "check" them daily. I do send home weekly newsletters and they just go in the backpack. How is checking a folder different than checking a backpack? If the students have a note to give me, I have a special box right beside the classroom door the notes go in. I tell the parents up front I don't check backpacks...their child must be responsible enough to put the note in my box. I do greet the children at the door as they are unpacking their backpacks and say, "Get your snack out of your backpack, get out any notes you have, etc." I have taught kindergarten for four years and this has been my system.

I also don't believe in written homework for kindergarten students...not age appropriate. I tell parents the children need to be read to or go out and play. I do send home words/sentences to practice reading with my newsletter. I also send home AR books. But no written homework...so, I don't have to worry about "homework".

I've heard teachers say the folder thing is a responsibility thing...what about just having them keep up with a backpack!? lol Or backpack, a coat, and scarf or mittens...now that is challenging for some kinder kids!:)

I also don't send home daily behavior logs. If the behavior is a problem, I will contact parents...occasionally, I have to send home a note with one or two children but it is easier for me to send it with one or two than to give stickers to the entire class for good behavior.

Like all teachers, my time is valuable...I try to make the most of it and not waste it doing things that aren't vital to my classroom. So, I say ditch the folders!!! I know, not the popular choice, but it has made my life soooooo much easier!!! :) Go for it!

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2011

This is EXACTLY my thinking... So, if nothing else, there's one more person out there that sees things they way you do.

15. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

Yes! Go for it! You won't be sorry!!! I went back and edited my response after I read some of the responses! I seriously think keeping up with a backpack is no different than keeping up with a folder!!!

I hope it works as well for you as it has me! Every time I walk into my coworkers classroom and she is checking folders I'm so glad I decided to not even start down that path!!!:)