Focus Walls

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AuburnTeach, May 6, 2006.

1. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

May 6, 2006

I checked out the Santa Maria Bonita school district website to look at their ideas for using Houghton Mifflin reading and read the information about "focus walls". Basically, the wall is based on the theme currently being used for HM reading. There's a family letter that states the theme and invites students to bring in objects for the focus wall.

It looks like the teacher puts high frequency words, vocabulary words, and skills being taught on the focus wall.

Has anyone used focus walls? Any ideas where I might find more information? I googled "focus walls", and the only site I found that referred to education was the Santa Maria Bonita site.

Thanks.

3. Ameliarate

Ameliarate Rookie

May 6, 2006

I attended a HM training last summer. They showed us various grade level focus walls. They suggest the items you mentioned seeing, plus pictures, realia, standards, etc. Kids can bring in theme related items from home. However, I tried to implement a focus wall this last year (4th grade) on journeys. It was minimally useful and took up prime wall real estate. Then when we went to the second theme, American Stories, the kids had nothing to contribute.

I hope this info helps...

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

May 6, 2006

I use a focus wall to post the skills of the week/weeks/ month etc both for reading and math. I also put up examples of the skills for the kids to see. Vocabulary goes up as well. I could probably use it a lot more actively but my kids always know where to go when they can't remember the definition of our skill or want to see it in action.