Focus on the positives

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 4, 2009

Post one positive gain that your students reached so far this school year. Focusing on the positives makes our job easier. :)

I'll go! My students increased 8% points on the benchmarks!

Now your turn!

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

Behavior referrals are WAY WAY down! We started a new school side discipline program and we also lost a lot of students when a new school opened. We can focus on teaching instead of behavior.

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

Congratulations on those achievements!

The majority of my 31 students came from a class last year whose teacher went out on leave a few months after the year began. A substitute took over who had little control over the class. These students came into my room undisciplined, talkative, and at times uncooperative.

They have now shaped up into a cohesive, caring, well behaved group of students who take great pride in their work. I am proud of each one of them.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 4, 2009

This is awesome! I love reading about good things. :)

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 4, 2009

One of my students who started out the year kicking and yelling when he got in trouble now only cries! That is progress to me!

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

We have a model economy going where students apply for and are hired for "jobs" in the school, from attendance to flag duty to taking out recycling. They use their "salaries" to start businesses and sell products at fairs. They are "fined" for missing work or behavior issues. It has been a hard project to get rolling, but the kids are finally starting to relish their responsibilities. Their first business fair was so much fun, with baked goods, oragami, homemade cartoon books and a huge amount of crafts!

Teachers and parents were proud, but more important, the kids were rightfully beaming.

Thanks for opening this celebratory thread!!

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

Haha little steps....

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 4, 2009

I am starting to be able to really read my kids' writing-they are using spaces and sounding out words much better! In the beginning, I would have to ask them to read it to me because often it was just a string of letters.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2009

The attitude about writing class is so unbelievably positive. They come in asking if they can skip the mini-lesson and get to work. They make comments about how creative they feel. I think, out of 80 kids, I've got 75 who LOVE writing.

And a lot of days I get goosebumps-literally-reading what they are writing. It's been a very rewarding year; especially watching the ones who were so far behind start producing stories that grab your attention and sustain it all the way through.

(Just having a bit of trouble with that editing. They just don't see that it's not spelled correctly or that it's a run-on. But big, bit gains there, too.)

11. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Dec 4, 2009

My kids went bananas for bananas today. I brought in a surprise healthy snack for the kids today. I gave them clues about the food I brought. After a few clues, the kiddos guessed bananas. They actually yelled and cheered to eat bananas. Every kid (but one) was super excited and we all had a snack together. It was just such a sweet moment to see my first graders all pumped up and thrilled to be eating a banana. Not a cookie, cupcake or candy. Not a movie or free time. Just one banana per kid. Best $5 I've spent in a long time.....It's little things like this that remind me how amazing my students are and how the littlest joys really add up!

Bumble--Thanks for this thread. I've felt a bit down while reading most of the posts on here lately....lots of unhappy folks, difficult situations, complaining, etc. I know it's nice to have an anonymous place to vent....but I, too, like to focus on the positive. Thanks!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

The writing conferences, formal and informal, that happened in my class over the past couple of weeks made me smile (probably one of those big, goofy smiles). Listening to my grade 7 and 8 students asking each other for advice on word choice and imagery made my heart sing! They were painstaking in trying to do their very best. (However, when one asked me for a better word for, "epiphany", I didn't have an answer for him other than, "that is the good word!")

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

Great thread and I've loved the responses.

My kids are excited about reading The Nutcracker, we've done some marching and ballet to go along with it. We go see a professional troupe Thursday.

They're all excited about the holidays but are working hard to stay on task.

14. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Dec 5, 2009

I have been reading a book on assertive discipline. I have been applying it in the classroom, and I am so proud of my students. They are learning so much and seem to enjoy it. They are a joy, and I owe much of it to my new-found knowledge. So I am proud of my students and myself. :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

My student with selective mutism will now whisper to me and three other students.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

How exciting! That is truly worth a celebration!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

It really is exciting...I feel that she has so much inside of her that so many are missing because of her mutism...the whispering is a big step...

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

For my son, whispering to his teacher was the beginning. It was a slow process, but it was a start.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

My kids are wonderful this year.

But my positive focus is on the administration for whom I work. Last year, as you know, I had a lot of rough days.

Not only did they do fulfill their legal and moral obligations, but they were incredibly gracious in doing so. Not once in all those months did I sense the slightest hesitation or bit of insincerity when they insisted that my health was the most important thing and that they would handle things at school. They took away my study hall and SAT prep classes for months, just to make my school days a bit easier. They let me cry when I needed to, and let me off the hook on Saturday proctoring turns.

I will never, for the rest of my life, forget their kindness.

20. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 5, 2009

This year I'm grateful for the behavior in all my classes. While I am struggling with the 27 kids in my kindergarten classes, the struggle is all about small management issues, which are slowly going away with routine.

Now that the children finally understand what the art classroom is all about we can have so much more independence in class and we all (students and myself) really thrive in this environment.

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

Reading my students' poems to their parents and biographies of their parents has inspired me to see the sweetness in each kid.

During "compliments" one of my boys who seems less in touch with his emotions told a girl, "I want to appreciate you for never hitting when you are angry. I feel safe when I'm around you."

A girl who is new to our school cried with happy tears to have friends. She said at her old school, kids were so mean and bullied her and here she feels like a real friend. SHe shared this, tearfully and with thanks, with the others and all the girls ran up for a group hug. This is a second grader, by the way.