Foam Blocks - Ideas needed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katenar, Aug 14, 2010.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

So I bought a couple bags of the multi-colored foam blocks from Target's Dollar spot. I'm trying to think of things to do with them. I don't need counters or such - already have a ton. And I've read about creating "Boggle cubes" out of them but what else can you do with them?

Does anyone else have any other ideas??

3. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

Are they big enough to write words on? Could you make them into story cubes? Or parts of speech cubes?

4. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

True Story: I saw them, didn't buy them b/c I couldn't think of a use either. Then read Halpey's blog and was inspired to use them to write sight words on!

So I went back out and bought a pack since 50 can hold 300 words. At the Word Work center, they could roll the dice, say the word, clap the syllables....roll the dice, copy the word with crayons or on dry-erase board...roll more than 1 dice & make a silly sentence with all the words (I like this one best, just thought of it actually:cool:). The list goes on!

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

I bought several packages of the cubes and even some of the cylinders. I've been making lots of math games lately and will use some of them for different types of dice. I've got some little Avery labels that I can run through the printer and they seem to stick just fine, so I'm labeling mine with those.

I love the ideas for Work Work, Passionateacher. I think my next set will be tied to prefix/suffix/base/root work.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

I thought they were smallish for words but I guess if it works for you... I got some too, I am just going to hang onto them and hold off deciding until I need something specific and they come to mind as being just right ;)

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

Thanks everyone! I'm going to think about it.

I write too big to put words on them. ;) But I know some idea will pop into my head. I'll share it when it finally does. hahah

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

someone mentioned gluing them together to make molecules. Could you write letters on them for the students to practice their speeling words?

9. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 15, 2010

Put dots on them and make dice. We always need dice in my classroom. Plus, if they're foam, they won't make noise when you roll them!

10. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I bought them too, just not sure what to do with them! I am thinking of numbering them like dice and then I can write what the # corresponded to on the board. Quieter than dice....
    Not sure though....