Fly to interview...not guaranteed?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, May 27, 2011.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 27, 2011

I had a phone interview today with a good school district in CO. We only talked for about 10 minutes and then the principal asked if I would come out next week to meet face to face.

This is costing me big bucks. Do people want you to come out if they only plan on offering you a position, or just anyway?

I don't want to go out there for nothing ya know?

What do you think?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2011

I would have requested a second phone interview. What did you tell the principal when he asked you to head out there?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 27, 2011

It really depends on the school and the position. Some principals will only ask you out if they are really interested, some ask everyone to come out.

Can you ask for a skype interview?

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 27, 2011

I don't know how that first 10 minute phone interview went, but it sounds like the P wants you to fly out for a 2nd interview. It is a little odd, imo, that they asked you while still on the phone (instead of calling back later, after other interviews were completed), but it could just be that they knew for sure they wanted to keep you in the running. It doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a job, but I would definitely take it as a sign that they're interested. They know you are from Chicago now, so I wouldn't think they'd waste your time and money (hopefully) if they weren't considering you. I think that doing the 1st interview by phone was a good call (as you noticed from an earlier thread of mine) :) but I would probably go meet face to face for a 2nd interview, especially if this is a place where you really want to live and teach. That's what I was planning on doing with that interview of mine. :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

If you do decide to go, here's what I suggest:

Contact every school within an hour's drive of that school. Send a personalized cover letter and a resume. Let them know you'll be in the area for an interview, and ask if you can interview or tour their campus.

The fact that someone ELSE wants to interview you may make them curious about what you have to offer.

Who knows? You may end up with a choice.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

That's a good idea, Alice.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

Yeah, there are a lot of schools out there. If I were going to spend money to be interviewed, I would do my best to ensure that a lot of schools saw me.

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 29, 2011

I 2nd Aliceacc's idea. There is not guarantee that you will get the job, although I would hope that they are seriously interested in you.

My DH was on a hiring committee once where the P wanted someone on the opposite coast. That person flew cross-country on her own dime, and you guessed it--the P decided on someone else instead. There is just no guarantee....

10. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 29, 2011

I found a school district close which i would love to work at and i completed the online app. Who do I call to say I will be in the area?

Do I call human resources or the principals? What do I say?

Thanks!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

I think I would call the principals, but let's see what others think.
    Or, maybe better yet, email each principal your resume with a revised cover letter that asks for an interview.

Then find other districts in the area and do the same thing.

12. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

May 29, 2011

When trying to get a job in VA, I emailed Ps that I had already emailed w/ my resume and cover letter again, but this time saying that I'd be in the area from x-y. A lot of Ps that hadn't responded to my first emails replied right away after seeing that I'd be in the area for another interview. I now have a job here. I'd email the principals--maybe even put something like "Teaching Applicant-will be in area from x-y" in the subject line. I did this and I think that it caught the Ps attention and created a bit of a sense of urgency. Good luck!!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

Bingo!

That's the answer you want :)
    Though I think I would phrase it as "interviewing in the area from ...." to let them know that someone else has found something noteworthy in your application.

14. CAretired

CAretired Rookie

May 29, 2011

Fly to CO for interview

I agree with Aliceacc’s ideas. You should expect to have to interview in person. Contact other districts in the area for interviews. If your position is hard to fill, you may be high on their list. Be realistic – if they probably have applicants in the local area or state, you would have to be special to be selected for the job. Think back on the interview and what was said, think about the financial burden and can you afford it if you do not get the job. Have a plan if this happens again. Good luck.

15. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

May 30, 2011

I wonder how realistic it would be to ask them if they would Skype a second interview with you? In this way, they could "see" you without you having the expense of a trip. Just a thought...

16. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 30, 2011

Well I spoke with the principal and told her that I would like to get a sense of where she was in the process, meaning is this first rounds and there are 20 some people or has she narrowed down the list. Obvi if it was a big number still I was going to ask for a skype but apparently there are the 2 positions and only 3 people. So I guess I have a 2 out of 3 chance of getting it!

This makes me so nervous haha! But I am super excited too. Any suggestions!?

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 30, 2011

Alice, as usual, gave fantastic advise. I'd do exactly as she suggested.

18. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 30, 2011

I just spent forever making a brochure, of course with some advice from Alice on other threads, and I am actually very proud of it! It took me forever to gather things that I weren't on my online portfolio or my resume, however I think it looks great and I am turning from nervous to excited! Of course, Friday I will probably be a nervous wreck again!

Thanks for all the help!

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

Awesome! Good Luck!

20. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

May 31, 2011

That's hard but great that they are showing interest :)

Good luck with the second interview!! That is really exciting and obviously they really were impressed!! Where is the school in CO? That is where I am from!!

21. CAretired

CAretired Rookie

May 31, 2011

Fly to interview

I also agree with Alice and MMSWM. Good luck to you and I let us know if you got the job.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 31, 2011

Good luck!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Knock 'em dead!

24. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 31, 2011

Good luck! :)

25. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 31, 2011

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it! I am so nervous!

26. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Jun 1, 2011

It sounds a bit fishy to me. They really could not find someone closer, and you are the only one and need to fly out of state? I would just call them and address your concern. Really, what else could you provide except letting them see your face? Alice's idea sounds great, but remember that other school districts and principals set up the time to interview you (you don't set up when to have an interview), if they are interested in you. So, you need to arrange carefully, otherwise, you would waste some money, seriously.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

To be honest, I'm not sure they care where the applicants are from. As long as you can get to the interview, and they're not paying your way to get there, why would it matter?

When I was interviewing, we had a candidate from far away-- I forget now just where she was from, but it was at least several hours away. Her interview ended at dinner time, so I suggested that if she wasn't going to get stuck in rush hour, we go for dinner at a local TGIFridays. (Getting off this island at 5 pm is simply impossible.) We got it down to 2 candidates, and she lost out to someeone else. But it wasn't about geography; the other candidate was simply a stronger candidate-- and is still teaching in my school.

And one of our current teachers relocated from Texas to take the job he had been offered at my school.