Fly out for 2nd interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SandyCastles, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. SandyCastles

    SandyCastles Companion

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2008
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 1, 2010

    I had a phone interview last week in Arizona. They told me that they do not offer contracts over the phone, and that I would have to fly out there for an in person interview in order to be offered a contract. This is fine, except it would cost me between 700-800 dollars just for the flight/hotel/car package I would need to purchase. I have no idea what this district pays. I cannot afford to move across the country if the pay is not decent because I have outrageous student loans. I know this sounds terrible, but a lot is at stake here (including all the money I have saved to pay my bills for the summer- I am only working as a para right now). I can't find the salary information online anywhere, but I do know that it is on an Indian reservation and it is a Title 1 school basically in the middle of nowhere. The median salary range of the town is extremely low, but I don't know if that holds true for teachers.

    What would you do?? Ask about the salary before going (I know this would not look good, but....), or just suck it up and fly out there. I am also nervous about flying out there and not getting the position (there are 3). Oh, I also am waiting to hear back from an interview to teach abroad- so clearly I have no problem with moving, just a matter of where and under what circumstances.
     
  2.  
  3. VANewbie

    VANewbie Devotee

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1,141
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

    I flew out to all of my interviews. I spent WAAAYYY more than 7-800. I think its worth it. It tells them you really want the job, it really says a lot.
     
  4. Missy99

    Missy99 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1,845
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

  5. TeacherShelly

    TeacherShelly Aficionado

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2006
    Messages:
    3,565
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

    That's tough. I would want to see the school before moving. If the pay is $35k average, does that mean you'll start below $20k?
     
  6. Kangaroo22

    Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Messages:
    6,216
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

    That's tough...Did you get the feeling that you have a good chance of getting hired? If so and from any research you've done it seems like something you're interested in flying out there would probably be the best option.
     
  7. newteacher26

    newteacher26 Companion

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

    Can you find out how much the teacher pay is on other reservations? That might give you an idea or at least some where to start.
     
  8. jwteacher

    jwteacher Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jul 1, 2010

    :yeahthat:
     
  9. SandyCastles

    SandyCastles Companion

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2008
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 1, 2010

    I mean, I definitely would want to see it, too. I just found another combination for 633 dollars. I saw that website in my search earlier- it is not that district but it is not 'that' far away I guess. It would be considered far where I am now, but AZ is huge, so probably not out there. My guess is about an hour.

    I am also going back and forth because I interviewed for a teaching abroad position that I KNOW would pay well, but I may not find out until tomorrow or Saturday, maybe even Monday. I will be on a train all day tomorrow and Monday, so I will not have internet to find out when they email me.

    I don't want to keep this district hanging, but then again, I don't want to miss out on it. It wouldn't be an issue if I could drive there!! I also will have to miss some of summer school to fly out, and apparently that is a big no no- but if I would be leaving anyways I guess that is the least of my worries.
     
  10. Rebel1

    Rebel1 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

    Good luck!
    Rebel1
     
  11. jwteacher

    jwteacher Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jul 1, 2010

    I think I know which way you are leaning. Sometimes you have to take risks in order to get ahead. Money comes and goes, and while you're in debt now, with a teaching job you could begin to pay it off.
     
  12. PCdiva

    PCdiva Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1,625
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 1, 2010

    I dont think you should go by another districts payscale...within a 45 mile circle of my house the starting pay fluctuates $13,000....I personally would call the personnel department and ask what the starting salary with a BA degree or whatever you have is....you dont need to say your name, it should be public knowledge....I might even give another name if they asked. BUt, definitely know before you go!
     
  13. TeacherApr

    TeacherApr Groupie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,256
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jul 1, 2010

    Definitely don't go by another district's payscale OR the so-called average of the state. My district is one of the lowest paying. Interesting how they don't do contracts over the phone. I did have to be here in person to get my contract when I first moved here BUT, they gave me a letter of intent which was basically a written and signed promise that I did have a job in the district. Where was the question so, instead of waiting for them to contact me I did my own seeking out to find a school I liked best. I talked with my now principal for several days and hours and....I was hired for that school = )
     
  14. Mrs Ski

    Mrs Ski Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    Messages:
    222
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 1, 2010

    re student loans, if it is a title one school you may be eligible for cancellation. or look in to the new public service employee forgiveness plans.
     
  15. cristin11

    cristin11 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    94
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 2, 2010

    I wish I could help! Go with your gut and let us know it how it goes!

    Good luck with everything!
     
  16. TeacherApr

    TeacherApr Groupie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,256
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jul 2, 2010

    From what I've read you have to work at a title I school for 5 years and then you don't get all of them cancelled out, only somewhere in the vicinity of $3-5K
     
  17. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 2, 2010

    IF you seriously consider flying out, then you need to get incredibly active and line up other interviews. Phone every school district within an hour's drive, explain that you're flying in for another interview, and wonder if they could squeeze you in somehow.
     
  18. PCdiva

    PCdiva Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1,625
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 2, 2010

    That is good advice!
     
  19. Missy99

    Missy99 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1,845
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 2, 2010

    Didn't someone else here on the forum do that last year?
     
  20. skittleroo

    skittleroo Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,958
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 2, 2010

    hmmm, if the median income is low - I'm sorry but personally I wouldn't. Chances are the teachers are paid low too.

    I would probably call central office and flat out ask. I have children and could not risk losing that kind of money without a decent job.

    Good luck in whatever you decide!:hugs:
     
  21. kassrose

    kassrose Companion

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2008
    Messages:
    109
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 2, 2010

    If you decide not to fly out, you might want to ask if they would allow you to do an interview over Skype (video conference). Maybe worth a shot?
     
  22. Maryhf

    Maryhf Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1,612
    Likes Received:
    53

    Jul 2, 2010

    I really think it would not be inappropriate to inquire about salary before flying out. Since you will be taking an expensive leap of faith and will be establishing yourself, it's ok to ask about the starting salary.
    Now, remember that starting out as a single, you may need to share rent with a roommate and not have everything that you want at once. Don't expect the school to care how expensive it is to relocate. You may be surprised (in a good way) about the salary. By all means, try to set up another interview or 2 or 3.
     
  23. mrachelle87

    mrachelle87 Fanatic

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    2,815
    Likes Received:
    53

    Jul 2, 2010

    See if flying into another city is cheaper. I have found that sometimes it is cheaper to fly into another city and rent a car. Also check out priceline. Bidding a flight and hotel will save you a lot---bid low.
     
  24. mrachelle87

    mrachelle87 Fanatic

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    2,815
    Likes Received:
    53

    Jul 2, 2010

    All of mine were cancelled my third year in district. The first year I got an extension on payments. At the end of the first year I sent in a letter signed by my supt. They forgave me the largest amount of the payments for the year. The same thing the next and the next. After three years, I was paid off.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 173 (members: 1, guests: 155, robots: 17)
test